Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Do you understand what "per capita" means? Why should the relative population of the states matter at all?
    Thanks god someone payed attention in 5th grade.

  2. #22
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I really don't understand your point about minorities. Are you saying that blacks have some natural predisposition toward teen pregnancies and unsafe sex? If not, how is it relevant? The point is that people in the south don't have as much access to comprehensive sex education as people in New England. The fact that they are minorities is completely irrelevant.
    the study itself noted that black and hispanic teens get pregnant at a higher rate than whites. every freaking set of demographic statistics shows this. don't get mad a me, get mad at the study. that "fact" is very relevent

    is it just coincidence that the areas that have the lowest density of blacks and hispanics also have lower rates of teen pregnancy?

    but nooooooo, the writer of this article ignores that and gives all the credit to "sex ed".

    i am sure that sex ed play a role, but it is not the primary factor and nothing in this study proves otherwise.

    If anything, it just highlights the education disparity between whites and minorities, but that's a subject for a different thread.
    this isn't the 50s dude, minorities have the same access to education as whites. sorry, but that dog won't hunt.
    Last edited by OscarB63; 10-22-10 at 02:42 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #23
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Do you understand what "per capita" means? Why should the relative population of the states matter at all?
    the fact that you ask this question idicates that you don't understand population dynamics nearly as well as you think you do.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    the study itself noted that black and hispanic teens get pregnant at a higher rate than whites. every freaking set of demographic statistics shows this. don't get mad a me, get mad at the study. that "fact" is very relevent

    is it just coincidence that the areas that have the lowest density of blacks and hispanics also have lower rates of teen pregnancy?

    but nooooooo, the writer of this article ignores that and gives all the credit to "sex ed".

    i am sure that sex ed play a role, but it is not the primary factor and nothing in this study proves otherwise.



    this isn't the 50s dude, minorities have the same access to education as whites. sorry, but that dog won't hunt.
    Sex ed was the most controllable factor. Race was a factor, but does not account for the entire disparity. Why race was a factor I am not going to speculate on.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    the study itself noted that black and hispanic teens get pregnant at a higher rate than whites. every freaking set of demographic statistics shows this. don't get mad a me, get mad at the study. that "fact" is very relevent

    is it just coincidence that the areas that have the lowest density of blacks and hispanics also have lower rates of teen pregnancy?
    So what? Just pointing out that there are more minorities is not a sufficient explanation. WHY do minorities have higher rates of teen pregnancy? In part because they have less access to comprehensive sex education.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    but nooooooo, the writer of this article ignores that and gives all the credit to "sex ed".

    i am sure that sex ed play a role, but it is not the primary factor and nothing in this study proves otherwise.
    It is the primary factor. Unless your argument is that being a minority makes a person naturally more likely to have unprotected sex (which is racist as hell), all it's doing is pointing out a demographic difference and completely ignoring the CAUSE of that demographic difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63
    this isn't the 50s dude, minorities have the same access to education as whites. sorry, but that dog won't hunt.
    Are you ****ing kidding me? Have you ever set foot inside an inner-city school?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Oscar is smarter than the CDC. Better listen to him.

  7. #27
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Oscar is smarter than the CDC. Better listen to him.
    Moderator's Warning:
    CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy ratesPlease do not do this
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #28
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Do you understand what "per capita" means? Why should the relative population of the states matter at all?
    It means quite a bit when the article is going to compare the rates between states with a large racial and population makeup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So what? This country does not have Bantustans. Minorities are just as deserving of comprehensive sex education as whites are.
    Education has very little to do with it. Culture takes the lions share.

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So, if you read it, how did you miss this:

    The racial argument is discussed and proven to not fully account for the differences in teen birth rates.
    I never claimed it did not or missed it, but the racial disparity per state is the main reason, period. The article in particular and to some degree the study are trying to make it seem irrelevant or claim education is the primary reason, bunk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    I really don't understand your point about minorities. Are you saying that blacks have some natural predisposition toward teen pregnancies and unsafe sex? If not, how is it relevant?
    OK.

    You can (much like the article and study) dismiss the cultural ramifications if you like. The fact is it IS the lions share of the problem and education in school is not as important as parents teaching this kind of thing. Especially in minority communities were sexual escapades is seen as some kind of badge of cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    The point is that people in the south don't have as much access to comprehensive sex education as people in New England. The fact that they are minorities is completely irrelevant. If anything, it just highlights the education disparity between whites and minorities, but that's a subject for a different thread.
    And then people wonder why nothing ever gets fixed.

    Ignore the real reasons for feel good crap.

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Thanks god someone payed attention in 5th grade.
    Yes thank God.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 10-22-10 at 02:55 PM.

  9. #29
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Sex ed was the most controllable factor. Race was a factor, but does not account for the entire disparity. Why race was a factor I am not going to speculate on.
    because as the study said...black and hispanic teens get pregnant at a higher rate than whites. no need to speculate, the study spells it out. If you are going to believe one part of the study you have to believe it all. no cherry picking allowed.

    big whoop sex ed was the most controllable factor. that doesn't mean it is the most important...only that it is the most controlable.

    "sorry, we can't control the differing rates of teen pregnancy among the different demographic groups....so we are just going to ignore that factor." laughable at best


    notice: no one here is claiming that race is the only factor or accounts for the entire disparity. that would be illogical and ignore all facts

    however, this study is claiming that better sex ed is the causative factor and discounting everything else.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  10. #30
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    So what? Just pointing out that there are more minorities is not a sufficient explanation. WHY do minorities have higher rates of teen pregnancy?
    for the purposes of debating this study, it does not matter WHY, only that they do. you cannot argue that fact.

    In part because they have less access to comprehensive sex education.
    they have the same access as white kids.

    It is the primary factor. Unless your argument is that being a minority makes a person naturally more likely to have unprotected sex (which is racist as hell), all it's doing is pointing out a demographic difference and completely ignoring the CAUSE of that demographic difference.
    take the race card chip off your soulder for just one minute and actually read. the arguement is "for whatever reason (irrelevent in this case) black and hispanic teens get pregnant at a higher rate than whites. (the study pointed this out) the areas noted in this study as having higher teen pregnancy rates also have higher numbers of black and hispanic teens. my arguement is that the higher numbers of those prone to be pregnant teens is a bigger factor in the disparity than the quality of the sex ed they get. If sex ed was such a determining factor...then why does the NW having the highest % of black teen pregnancy? surely the sex ed there is better than it is in the south?



    Are you ****ing kidding me? Have you ever set foot inside an inner-city school?
    um, yeah. I taught science and math in one for 9 years. NEXT
    Last edited by OscarB63; 10-22-10 at 03:18 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •