Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 63

Thread: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Clearly, there's a political and ideological divide illustrated in the report. The geographical split suggests that the more liberal states take a more proactive approach on sex education and go beyond teaching "abstinence only", whereas the more conservative states don't. I'm not so sure I buy that argument as a whole. I think cultural upbringing and economics also play a role.

    "The report demonstrates that the surest way to reduce teenage pregnancy is to provide young people with comprehensive, medically accurate sex education, and doing so is especially urgent for African-Americans and Latino teens, who are getting pregnant more frequently than other young people,"
    I believe it could be argued that ideology, culture and information access (an accute educational awareness) all play a part in teen pregnancy statistics. You can't focus on any one or two areas, ignore the other(s) and wonder why the problem isn't showing positive results across the board. Abstinence alone doesn't work, nor does espousing a more cavalier attitude towards the risks of pre-marital sex. Using my household as an example...

    I have four young adult children between the ages of 18-24. Three have confessed to being sexually active. One had her first child out of wedlock, but has since married and has gone on to have more children (four in all). My two remaining sexually active young adult off-springs all "claim" to use birth control regularly. (So far, so good.) The last of my young adult children has professed to saving himself for that one special young lady when married. (Even as a man that swells my heart with pride.) What's the difference between all four who had the same access to the same education system throughout their teenage years, as well as access to the same parental advice?

    Attitude, pride, self-respect!

    As we all know, typically girls are pressured more to have sex at an early age than boys. But sometimes a guy can run into that one pushy PYT; it's the exception not the norm, however. Still, it all depends on the attitude of the child.

    My home is also a blended domesile, Blacks and Whites. There is a cultural divide here, but when it comes down to it individual attitudes toward sex and the importance thereof as far as one's "social status" also plays into it. As a parent, it's my job to help my children understand the social pressures and interpersonal dynamics involved with sex and social behavior. It's complex for sure, but I'm proud to say I have no grandchildren at this time who exist w/o his or her father AND their mother under the same roof. Moreover, my children do take responsibility for their actions. And because I work in the health care environment, my children all know they can come to me for real answers to some of their basic health care questions. But more than that, I think they all know they can come to dad (or mom) to get "straight-talk" concerning sex. That's the most important thing here. We parents need to remember that and leave the door open so that our children feel unafraid and unashamed to come talk to us about sex. Otherwise, the word they'll get will come from...

    ...Any and everywhere!, ie., foolish friends, selfish boy- or girl-friend, sexually explicit teen shows, movies that glorify/exploit sex and (female) sexuality.

    Leave the door open and talk to your kids. (Oh, it also helps that your teen children know that their parents still enjoy a healthy "married" sex life. They my cry "Eeeewwww! Gross!!!", but truth is deep down they see it as "how to have a healthy, long-lasting, intimate relationship". There's no better "teachable moment" than that...knowing your child just cringed when they had to knock on your bedroom door and the realization hits them that mom and dad were just about to get their groove on.)

    "God Bless the young at heart and the parent who trains up a child in the way they must go."

    As I've often said to mine, "You'll get there!"

    Sidenote: I know...TMI...but sometimes you gotta get alittle personal to illustrate an important point. This was one of those moments. I'm sure the Mrs. will understand when she reads this (...I hope).
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 10-22-10 at 01:08 PM.

  2. #12
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Clearly, there's a political and ideological divide illustrated in the report. The geographical split suggests that the more liberal states take a more proactive approach on sex education and go beyond teaching "abstinence only", whereas the more conservative states don't. I'm not so sure I buy that argument as a whole. I think cultural upbringing and economics also play a role.



    I believe it could be argued that ideology, culture and information access (an accute educational awareness) all play a part in teen pregnancy statistics. You can't focus on any one or two areas, ignore the other(s) and wonder why the problem isn't showing positive results across the board. Abstinence alone doesn't work, nor does espousing a more cavalier attitude towards the risks of pre-marital sex. Using my household as an example...

    I have found young adult children between the ages of 18-24. Three have confessed to being sexually active. One had her first child out of wedlock, but has since married and has gone on to have more children (four in all). My two remaining sexually active young adult off-springs all "claim" to use birth control regularly. (So far, so good.) The last of my young adult children has professed to saving himself for that one special young lady when married. (Even as a man that swells my heart with pride.) What's the difference between all four who had the same access to the same education system throughout their teenage years, as well as access to the same parental advice?

    Attitude, pride, self-respect!

    As we all know, typically girls are pressured more to have sex at an early age than boys. But sometimes a guy can run into that one pushy PYT; it's the exception not the norm, however. Still, it all depends on the attitude of the child.

    My home is also a blended domisile, Blacks and Whites. There is a cultural divide here, but when it comes down to it individual attitudes toward sex and the importance thereof as far as one's "social status" also plays into it. As a parent, it's my job to help my children understand the social pressures and interpersonal dynamics involved with sex and social behavior. It's complex for sure, but I'm proud to say I have no grandchildren at this time who exist w/o his or her father AND their mother under the same roof. Moreover, my children do take responsibility for their actions. And because I work in the health care environment, my children all know they can come to me for real answers to some of their basic health care questions. But more than that, I think they all know they can come to dad (or mom) to get "straight-talk" concerning sex. That's the most important thing here. We parents need to remember that and leave the door open so that our children feel unafraid and unashamed to come talk to us about sex. Otherwise, the word they'll get will come from...

    Any and everywhere...foolish friends, selfish boy- or girl-friend, sexually explicit teen shows, movies that glorify/exploit sex and (female) sexuality.

    Leave the door open and talk to your kids. (Oh, it also helps that your teen children know that their parents still enjoy a healthy "married" sex life. They my cry "Eeeewwww! Gross!!!", but truth is deep down they see it as "how to have a healthy, long-lasting, intimate relationship". There's no better "teachable moment" than that...knowing your child just cringed when they had to knock on your bedroom door and the realization hits them that mom and dad were just about to get their groove on.

    "God Bless the young at heart and the parent who trains up a child in the way they must go."

    As I've often said to mine, "You'll get there!"

    Sidenote: I know...TMI...but sometimes you gotta get alittle personal to illustrate an important point. This was one of those moments. I'm sure the Mrs. will understand when she reads this (...I hope).

    that study is total crap. all it proves is that you can manipulate data to show whatever it is you want to show. It could just as easily be shown that the teen birth rate is lower in the NE states because there is a lower concentration of minorities or that states with a lower average temperature have lower teen pregnancy rates. this "study" falls prey to the old "correlation = causation" fallacy.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  3. #13
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,773

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    that study is total crap. all it proves is that you can manipulate data to show whatever it is you want to show. It could just as easily be shown that the teen birth rate is lower in the NE states because there is a lower concentration of minorities or that states with a lower average temperature have lower teen pregnancy rates. this "study" falls prey to the old "correlation = causation" fallacy.
    I don't think the data is that far off base, though. There's still a cultural divide between north and south, east and west, rich and poor, whites and blacks, rural versus urban. I don't think we'll ever truly get away from that...'least not in my lifetime. But when you break it all down that biggest factor remains "how involved are you in your child's life?" How often do you sit him or her down and tell them the truth concerning peer pressure, the development of their bodies, the visual/audibal "stimuli" they will be exposed to? Do they have your trust that they can come to you when they feel the time is ready for them to have sex? I firmly believe that our job as parents in this regard isn't to just berate and belittle them nor is it to shelter them from sex. Ours is to teach, to explain the pros and the cons, to give them voice but to provide them w/the much needed information, to do our best to pursued them against having sex before marrige, but to also arm them with knowledge to protect themselves should they surcome to peer pressure and/or those natural urges all youth go through.

    Sex is natural and can be a beautiful thing if done in the right time with the right person under the right circumstances. For the young it's a delicate biological and social balancing act. Sometimes, the only person in a child's life who can help them to think clearly through it are their parents. So, moms and dads, get involved! Don't leave this awesome responsibility to our education system only. You are the key to guiding their path. Teach the children well.

  4. #14
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    I don't think the data is that far off base, though. There's still a cultural divide between north and south, east and west, rich and poor, whites and blacks, rural versus urban. I don't think we'll ever truly get away from that...'least not in my lifetime. But when you break it all down that biggest factor remains "how involved are you in your child's life?" How often do you sit him or her down and tell them the truth concerning peer pressure, the development of their bodies, the visual/audibal "stimuli" they will be exposed to? Do they have your trust that they can come to you when they feel the time is ready for them to have sex? I firmly believe that our job as parents in this regard isn't to just berate and belittle them nor is it to shelter them from sex. Ours is to teach, to explain the pros and the cons, to give them voice but to provide them w/the much needed information, to do our best to pursued them against having sex before marrige, but to also arm them with knowledge to protect themselves should they surcome to peer pressure and/or those natural urges all youth go through.

    Sex is natural and can be a beautiful thing if done in the right time with the right person under the right circumstances. For the young it's a delicate biological and social balancing act. Sometimes, the only person in a child's life who can help them to think clearly through it are their parents. So, moms and dads, get involved! Don't leave this awesome responsibility to our education system only. You are the key to guiding their path. Teach the children well.
    I just think that to give the credit to "sex ed" is being misleading and disingenuous.

    dude, I just realized that we have the same number of posts.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  5. #15
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    I just had to say something about this. After looking at the data, I can honestly say this study is absolute garbage.

    Lets first look at the relative populations as a whole...

    Connecticut:3,518,288

    Massachusetts:6,593,587

    *New Hampshire:1,324,575

    Vermont:621,760



    Arkansas:2,889,450

    *Mississippi:2,951,996

    New Mexico:2,009,671

    Oklahoma:3,687,050

    Texas:24,782,302

    Interesting how the article fails to mention the state with the highest percentage per capita also has more than twice the population of New Hampshire, the lowest.

    It also fails to mention the huge Hispanic and Black populations in the higher per capita states. Minority's are reproducing at much higher rates than whites, and have been for the last few decades. Logically this would make for larger populations of teens in high minority states like Mississippi as opposed to Vermont.

    Here is an example....


    Hispanic population


    Black population.

    All this article and study proves is it is easy to fudge numbers to say exactly what you want.
    Actually, the article does not talk on these issues, but the study does, and finds that those reasons alone do not explain the disparity. For example, the highest rate of black teen pregnancy is in the northwest.

    Good to see you BD!
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #16
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    that study is total crap. all it proves is that you can manipulate data to show whatever it is you want to show. It could just as easily be shown that the teen birth rate is lower in the NE states because there is a lower concentration of minorities or that states with a lower average temperature have lower teen pregnancy rates. this "study" falls prey to the old "correlation = causation" fallacy.
    Read the actual study and you will learn that you are wrong. Throwing out data that does not fit with your world view is not an effective way to debate.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #17
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Read the actual study and you will learn that you are wrong. Throwing out data that does not fit with your world view is not an effective way to debate.
    I read the study and other than Leslie Kantor, national education director of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America, saying so, I found nothing that "makes it crystal clear" that the teen birth rate is lower in those states due primarliy to providing students with comprehensive, evidence-based sex education.

    I happen to agree with providing such sex ed. so there goes your "doesn't fit my world view" arguement out the window.

    I just don't like it when supposed "experts" come out and tell me that a study proves something when it really doesn't.

    as to

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    For example, the highest rate of black teen pregnancy is in the northwest.
    and because the number of black teens in the NW is so low, it plays very little role in the overall numbers of teen pregnancy

    in the south, even though the "rate" may not be as high, the raw numbers of black teens is so much higher that even with a lower "rate" there are still many more pregnant black teens in the south than in the NW.





    edit: oh and FYI, assuming that someone has not read a study simply because they disagree with your world view is not an effective way to debate either
    Last edited by OscarB63; 10-22-10 at 02:16 PM.
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #18
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Interesting how the article fails to mention the state with the highest percentage per capita also has more than twice the population of New Hampshire, the lowest.
    Do you understand what "per capita" means? Why should the relative population of the states matter at all?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog
    It also fails to mention the huge Hispanic and Black populations in the higher per capita states. Minority's are reproducing at much higher rates than whites, and have been for the last few decades. Logically this would make for larger populations of teens in high minority states like Mississippi as opposed to Vermont.
    So what? This country does not have Bantustans. Minorities are just as deserving of comprehensive sex education as whites are.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  9. #19
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,361
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    So, if you read it, how did you miss this:

    Birth rates in 2007 for non-Hispanic white teenagers tended to be highest in the Southeast, but were relatively high across the southern United States, similar to the pattern observed for all races combined (Figure 2)
    The racial argument is discussed and proven to not fully account for the differences in teen birth rates.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  10. #20
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: CDC finds stark regional disparities in teen-pregnancy rates

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    and because the number of black teens in the NW is so low, it plays very little role in the overall numbers of teen pregnancy

    in the south, even though the "rate" may not be as high, the raw numbers of black teens is so much higher that even with a lower "rate" there are still many more pregnant black teens in the south than in the NW.
    I really don't understand your point about minorities. Are you saying that blacks have some natural predisposition toward teen pregnancies and unsafe sex? If not, how is it relevant? The point is that people in the south don't have as much access to comprehensive sex education as people in New England. The fact that they are minorities is completely irrelevant. If anything, it just highlights the education disparity between whites and minorities, but that's a subject for a different thread.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •