Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast
Results 501 to 510 of 521

Thread: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

  1. #501
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Who are we? With the right incentive the private sector will create the jobs. those 16 million people were working somewhere before they became unemployed.
    but they aren't working now....while taxes are still low....so what is the "right incentive"....
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #502
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    but they aren't working now....while taxes are still low....so what is the "right incentive"....
    so jacking up taxes is going to get them back to work?



  3. #503
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    but they aren't working now....while taxes are still low....so what is the "right incentive"....
    Taxes will be offset by the cost of the Obama agenda. Right now businesses don't know what they will be paying to fund Obamacare and anything else Obama is going to require them to pay for. If I owned a business right now I wouldn't be hiring either,especially small businesses. In the meantime those working are still benefiting from those tax cuts. Make the Bush tax cuts permanent and repeal the taxes associated with Obamacare would be a good first step.

    Do you realize how foolish one sounds when they promote the govt. taking more of the individual's income?

  4. #504
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Taxes will be offset by the cost of the Obama agenda. Right now businesses don't know what they will be paying to fund Obamacare and anything else Obama is going to require them to pay for. If I owned a business right now I wouldn't be hiring either,especially small businesses. In the meantime those working are still benefiting from those tax cuts. Make the Bush tax cuts permanent and repeal the taxes associated with Obamacare would be a good first step.

    Do you realize how foolish one sounds when they promote the govt. taking more of the individual's income?
    There are 5-7 individuals on this board who spend inordinate amounts of time trying to argue for having the wealth of others confiscated by the government at higher rates. None of them can give a good reason for their desire to punish other citizens--envy and spite are the only logical conclusions.



  5. #505
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Taxes will be offset by the cost of the Obama agenda. Right now businesses don't know what they will be paying to fund Obamacare and anything else Obama is going to require them to pay for. If I owned a business right now I wouldn't be hiring either,especially small businesses. In the meantime those working are still benefiting from those tax cuts. Make the Bush tax cuts permanent and repeal the taxes associated with Obamacare would be a good first step.

    Do you realize how foolish one sounds when they promote the govt. taking more of the individual's income?
    You are nothing if not consistent....too bad you are consistently stuck in a rut, a deep rut, and the view is limited in ruts.

    Obamacare will not be repealed, it MAY be modified, hopefully to be more like a catastrophic policy so people who have insurance won't have to sell their homes to keep a child alive. But, the requirement that we all buy insurance must be enforced. There are way too many people who CAN afford insurance but just don't buy it so they can have more toys. I know some of them personally.

    Low taxes are not the answer, not until we can convince congress to spend less. Tax revenue MUST be higher than money spent, so we can start paying down the national debt.
    But any cuts in spending are likely to make unemployment worse, so which end of the alligator do you want to approach? Both are dangerous, right? How about the middle? or maybe from 3 directions at once.
    We will never grow the economy without jobs, and that means retrieving those jobs from overseas. But if we do that, THEIR economy suffers, and they buy less American products, meaning nothing to sell, meaning no need for employees to make the products.
    Do we really want to export democracy AND capitalism at the same time?
    Times are hard, and going to get harder.

    Welcome to the 50's.....even tho we probably thought we were successful then, it doesn't look so wonderful to the current generation.
    We can't go back, or won't, not voluntarily. It's going to take some real leadership, and so far I haven't seen very many politicians who stand tall enough to see out of the box, much less think outside of it.
    Bush fiddled with his little war while the nation's economy burned.
    Whatever hope and change Obama had while trying to get elected has been spent, and the investment is not doing the trick.
    We need an outsider, a person who has no strings attached to any profit making entity.
    Does such a person exist? probably, but will congress work with him? I doubt it...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  6. #506
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,803

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    You are nothing if not consistent....too bad you are consistently stuck in a rut, a deep rut, and the view is limited in ruts.

    Obamacare will not be repealed, it MAY be modified, hopefully to be more like a catastrophic policy so people who have insurance won't have to sell their homes to keep a child alive. But, the requirement that we all buy insurance must be enforced. There are way too many people who CAN afford insurance but just don't buy it so they can have more toys. I know some of them personally.

    Low taxes are not the answer, not until we can convince congress to spend less. Tax revenue MUST be higher than money spent, so we can start paying down the national debt.
    But any cuts in spending are likely to make unemployment worse, so which end of the alligator do you want to approach? Both are dangerous, right? How about the middle? or maybe from 3 directions at once.
    We will never grow the economy without jobs, and that means retrieving those jobs from overseas. But if we do that, THEIR economy suffers, and they buy less American products, meaning nothing to sell, meaning no need for employees to make the products.
    Do we really want to export democracy AND capitalism at the same time?
    Times are hard, and going to get harder.

    Welcome to the 50's.....even tho we probably thought we were successful then, it doesn't look so wonderful to the current generation.
    We can't go back, or won't, not voluntarily. It's going to take some real leadership, and so far I haven't seen very many politicians who stand tall enough to see out of the box, much less think outside of it.
    Bush fiddled with his little war while the nation's economy burned.
    Whatever hope and change Obama had while trying to get elected has been spent, and the investment is not doing the trick.
    We need an outsider, a person who has no strings attached to any profit making entity.
    Does such a person exist? probably, but will congress work with him? I doubt it...
    1) the GOP will defund it even if they cannot overturn it YET

    2) the Roberts court will rule that the tenth amendment is violated by requiring people to buy insurance

    3) the rich pay too many taxes and jacking taxes up on the rich will only encourage the dems to buy the votes of the rest of the population with more spending.



  7. #507
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Then tell me what economic policy Bush had in place March 1, 2001?



    washingtonpost.com
    Economists Say Recession Started in 2000

    By Nell Henderson
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Thursday, January 22, 2004; 1:34 PM
    Actually, NBER determined the recession began in March 2001.


  8. #508
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,298

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    Actually, NBER determined the recession began in March 2001.
    Yes, NBER does say that but you haven't answered the question. How could Bush cause a recession without an economic policy in place?

  9. #509
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, NBER does say that but you haven't answered the question. How could Bush cause a recession without an economic policy in place?
    Government doesn't control the economy. But fighting two needless wars has an effect on a lot of things, espeically the deficit when we pretend we don't have to pay for those wars.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #510
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yes, NBER does say that but you haven't answered the question. How could Bush cause a recession without an economic policy in place?
    You implied the recession started in 2000 and I merely disputed that fact, you were wrong, the economy was in decline but had yet met the technical definition of recession which I believe is 2 or more quarters decline in GDP.


Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •