Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast
Results 431 to 440 of 521

Thread: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

  1. #431
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    11-03-10 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    49

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    If that's a conservative Republican, I'm a Playboy bunny.


    And I'm not.
    Please, Ms. Playboy Bunny, enlighten me, which part of this statement isn't considered a contemporary conservative political ideology?

    "Exactly. I don't care if this country goes to hell in a hand basket, or if the economy turns into Greece, the government doesn't have a right to my money. And don't give me that crap about cutting military spending, we need to cut welfare. I actually think military spending should be increased so we can go to Iran and North Korea and restore our combat mission in Iraq. Our tax dollars should go to setting these people free from their tyrannical regimes, not to providing housing and health care for Americans."

  2. #432
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by McCain2012 View Post
    But every conservative voted for him two years ago. What's the problem now?
    That is not accurate but that was when the only other choice was Obama

    you aren't fooling anyone



  3. #433
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    The Republicans attempted to rein in the large lending insitutions, but Barney Frank and Chris Dodd told us that there was nothing to worry about that Fannie and Freddie were in good shape. So in your mind, it was Bush who failed, not Barney and Dodd that did. Interesting....
    That's right wing rhetoric, but where is your proof that Barney Frank, Chris Dodd was the cause of the meltdown. Those two people are legislators, not regulators.

    Here are the details about the meltdown:


    Robert Weissman: Wall Street's Best Investment II: 12 Deregulatory Steps to Financial Meltdown

    7. No predatory lending enforcement

    Even in a deregulated environment, the banking regulators retained authority to crack down on predatory lending abuses. Such enforcement activity would have protected homeowners, and lessened though not prevented the current financial crisis. But the regulators sat on their hands. The Federal Reserve took three formal actions against subprime lenders from 2002 to 2007. The Office of Comptroller of the Currency, which has authority over almost 1,800 banks, took three consumer-protection enforcement actions from 2004 to 2006.

    8. Federal preemption of state enforcement against predatory lending

    When the states sought to fill the vacuum created by federal non-enforcement of consumer protection laws against predatory lenders, the Feds -- responding to commercial bank petitions -- jumped to attention to stop them. The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency and the Office of Thrift Supervision each prohibited states from enforcing consumer protection rules against nationally chartered banks.


  4. #434
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,764
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by McCain2012 View Post
    Please, Ms. Playboy Bunny, enlighten me, which part of this statement isn't considered a contemporary conservative political ideology?

    "Exactly. I don't care if this country goes to hell in a hand basket, or if the economy turns into Greece, the government doesn't have a right to my money. And don't give me that crap about cutting military spending, we need to cut welfare. I actually think military spending should be increased so we can go to Iran and North Korea and restore our combat mission in Iraq. Our tax dollars should go to setting these people free from their tyrannical regimes, not to providing housing and health care for Americans."
    I do care if the country goes to hell in a hand basket (it is now). I do care if the economy turns into Greece (it is now). The government unfortunately does have a right to some of my money, but I disagree with how much they are taking and what they are spending it on. Going into Iran and/or N Korea is a horrible idea.

  5. #435
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,250

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by McCain2012 View Post
    Please, Ms. Playboy Bunny, enlighten me, which part of this statement isn't considered a contemporary conservative political ideology?

    "Exactly. I don't care if this country goes to hell in a hand basket, or if the economy turns into Greece, the government doesn't have a right to my money. And don't give me that crap about cutting military spending, we need to cut welfare. I actually think military spending should be increased so we can go to Iran and North Korea and restore our combat mission in Iraq. Our tax dollars should go to setting these people free from their tyrannical regimes, not to providing housing and health care for Americans."
    I don't know why anyone would continue to play your game. You don't even play a conservative well because you really don't know what conservatives stand for but, like all liberals, love to stereotype with a liberal spin.

  6. #436
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Last Seen
    11-03-10 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    49

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    I do care if the country goes to hell in a hand basket (it is now). I do care if the economy turns into Greece (it is now).
    I don't think you understand what I'm saying, spending isn't going to stop. Democrats spend and Republicans spend. No Republican or Democrat senator has expressed sentiments in cutting spending for their personal projects for their states. No Dem has expressed interest in cutting welfare and no Republican has expressed interest in cutting defense spending. We can't keep spending and keep taxes low. But if taking away the Bush tax cuts would help alleviate these things you'd rather have that? I wouldn't. I want more of my money in my hands and I don't care if that means the country is going to turn into Greece. That's a true conservative position.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    The government unfortunately does have a right to some of my money, but I disagree with how much they are taking and what they are spending it on. Going into Iran and/or N Korea is a horrible idea.
    Don't you know that Iran is on the verge of developing a nuclear weapon, if they already haven't? There is much more credible information that Iran is holding nukes and sporing terrorist than there ever was that Saddam was doing these things. Don't even get me started on the North Korea, who already have nukes and who have already sunk a South Korean ship. Do you really want another 9/11? And with Obama in office and being so soft on Middle Eastern issues and so sympathetic to Muslims, you don't think terrorist will take his kindness for weakness and strike us while they have the opportunity?

  7. #437
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,764
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    That's right wing rhetoric, but where is your proof that Barney Frank, Chris Dodd was the cause of the meltdown. Those two people are legislators, not regulators.

    Here are the details about the meltdown:


    Robert Weissman: Wall Street's Best Investment II: 12 Deregulatory Steps to Financial Meltdown
    It's not "right wing rhetoric" at all, it's a fact.

    YouTube - McCain's Early Recognition of Fannie/Freddie Crisis

    If Fox News isn't a viable source for you (and I can understand because it shows the facts in this case), maybe you would like to see the actual hearing itself where Barney held it up.

    Housing Finance Regulation - C-SPAN Video Library

    You can skip forward to the 51:50 mark to find some of the juicy stuff

  8. #438
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The Reagan Results speak for themselves, 17 million jobs created, double the GDP, double revenue to the federal govt. with a 25% tax cut. that led to the biggest landslide in American political history. Reagan implemented a pro growth, pro business, pro American consumer economic policy. Obama has done the exact opposite. We shall see if Obama can generate the same results in the next two years and it appears he will have to do it with a GOP Majority in the House and maybe the Senate. It does seem that the American voters are not as enthralled with Obama as some here seem to be.
    That's freakin' great... But if you're honest with yourself, then you'd realize that what you're talking about is the fact that Reagan did much better LATER and NOT AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

    If you people were around then (and I'm sure you were), you'd realize that if people would've responded to him THEN the way they're responding to Obama now, they'd have thrown him out of office in 1984. You're only proving my point further.

  9. #439
    Global Moderator
    Silent Bob for President!

    RedAkston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,764
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    That's freakin' great... But if you're honest with yourself, then you'd realize that what you're talking about is the fact that Reagan did much better LATER and NOT AT THIS POINT IN HIS CAREER.

    If you people were around then (and I'm sure you were), you'd realize that if people would've responded to him THEN the way they're responding to Obama now, they'd have thrown him out of office in 1984. You're only proving my point further.
    Let's be honest though. The dems put up Walter freakin' Mondale against him. It wasn't much of an effort on their part to actually take the White House away from Reagan.

    Reagan was also lowering taxes, wasn't passing massive spending bills, wasn't trampling all over the Constitution (i.e. HC Bill) and wasn't increasing the national debt by 3 trillion dollars. Reagan had a tough first term, but he set the stage for the economic rebound in his second term. While I see the comparison you are making, we're talking about an apple versus a raisin.

  10. #440
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh_Akston View Post
    It's not "right wing rhetoric" at all, it's a fact.

    YouTube - McCain's Early Recognition of Fannie/Freddie Crisis

    If Fox News isn't a viable source for you (and I can understand because it shows the facts in this case), maybe you would like to see the actual hearing itself where Barney held it up.

    Housing Finance Regulation - C-SPAN Video Library

    You can skip forward to the 51:50 mark to find some of the juicy stuff
    The Fox video is typical Fox News ("we report, you decide") bull****. Yeah John McCain was a sponsor of the bill that was written the year before in 2005. He was the third of of three sponsors. Plus this happened in 2006 while the Republicans had complete control of congress - the Dems won in November of that year. Also, Barney Frank appears to be taken out of context because the dissusion on the C-Span video doesn't seem match. Fox News ->

    S.190: Federal Housing Enterprise Regulatory Reform Act of 2005 - U.S. Congress - OpenCongress


Page 44 of 53 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •