Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 521

Thread: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

  1. #131
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Hookers are cheaper and probably more honest. You can tell when they say "oh yes baby your the best" in a monotone.
    Almost forgot, some politician was on a talk show, and I managed to get a call in to ask a question. I asked why we couldn't index congressional pay to minimum wage, the interviewer thought it was a good idea, but the politician didn't want to pursure the idea...so they moved on to something else...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  2. #132
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Almost forgot, some politician was on a talk show, and I managed to get a call in to ask a question. I asked why we couldn't index congressional pay to minimum wage, the interviewer thought it was a good idea, but the politician didn't want to pursure the idea...so they moved on to something else...
    Nah, they should tie it to Congress's approval rating. If it's at 30%, they get 30% of their paycheck.

    Probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but it would be kinda neat nonetheless.

  3. #133
    Ivan The Terrible > All
    Ivan The Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In your mind
    Last Seen
    02-14-12 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    that's a de jure benefit the rich have???
    Yes don't pretend you don't have privet meetings with congressmen.
    "Miss quote? It's an outright fabrication!" Myself in response to Iriemon's post.

  4. #134
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Terrible View Post
    Yes don't pretend you don't have privet meetings with congressmen.
    I did once-with a guy who used to be one and was running for his old seat. He wanted my advice on gun issues--I gave him a contribution since my late father was his old campaign chairman. THe guy has been an NRA A+ every year since he was a city councilman. Not like I am going to get some additional favors from him.

    I am waiting for the parasite advocates to tell me what I get for paying more in taxes than they make in 5 years.



  5. #135
    Ivan The Terrible > All
    Ivan The Terrible's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In your mind
    Last Seen
    02-14-12 @ 08:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,346

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I did once-with a guy who used to be one and was running for his old seat. He wanted my advice on gun issues--I gave him a contribution since my late father was his old campaign chairman. THe guy has been an NRA A+ every year since he was a city councilman. Not like I am going to get some additional favors from him.

    I am waiting for the parasite advocates to tell me what I get for paying more in taxes than they make in 5 years.
    Wow... Something really needs to be done about the tax code.
    "Miss quote? It's an outright fabrication!" Myself in response to Iriemon's post.

  6. #136
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,634

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan The Terrible View Post
    Wow... Something really needs to be done about the tax code.
    true fairness means people pay for what they use

    sort of hard to argue against that

    the next would be a flat tax or a consumption tax



  7. #137
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    with a flat tax the more you make the more you pay but it prevents people like you voting up my taxes without YOU suffering any more taxation
    Flat or consumption taxes will put a heavier burden on those eking by on SS or small pensions who pay no taxes now than those in the higher income brackets who have more than enough money to buy anything they want anytime they want it.

    ricksfolly

  8. #138
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    How about addressing the article in the OP:
    Where do you get your information? This comes from BEA.gov and shows tax revenue growing after the Bush tax cuts went into full effect in July 2003. Most people show data during the recession of 2001 and the recession of 2007-2008 which skews the numbers.

    Tax receipts

    2000 3.1 trillion dollars
    2007 4.2 trillion dollars

    How is that a decrease?

    ***2000*** ***2001*** ***2002*** ***2003*** ***2004*** ***2005*** ***2006*** ***2007*** ***2008*** ***2009***
    ******Current*receipts 3,132.40 3,118.20 2,967.90 3,043.40 3,265.70 3,659.30 3,995.20 4,197.00 4,074.00 3,726.90
    Current*tax*receipts 2,202.80 2,163.70 2,002.10 2,047.90 2,213.20 2,546.80 2,807.40 2,951.20 2,780.30 2,409.30
    ***Personal*current*taxes 1,232.30 1,234.80 1,050.40 1,000.30 1,047.80 1,208.60 1,352.40 1,488.70 1,438.20 1,140.00

  9. #139
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Where do you get your information? This comes from BEA.gov and shows tax revenue growing after the Bush tax cuts went into full effect in July 2003. Most people show data during the recession of 2001 and the recession of 2007-2008 which skews the numbers.

    Tax receipts

    2000 3.1 trillion dollars
    2007 4.2 trillion dollars

    How is that a decrease?

    ***2000*** ***2001*** ***2002*** ***2003*** ***2004*** ***2005*** ***2006*** ***2007*** ***2008*** ***2009***
    ******Current*receipts 3,132.40 3,118.20 2,967.90 3,043.40 3,265.70 3,659.30 3,995.20 4,197.00 4,074.00 3,726.90
    Current*tax*receipts 2,202.80 2,163.70 2,002.10 2,047.90 2,213.20 2,546.80 2,807.40 2,951.20 2,780.30 2,409.30
    ***Personal*current*taxes 1,232.30 1,234.80 1,050.40 1,000.30 1,047.80 1,208.60 1,352.40 1,488.70 1,438.20 1,140.00
    As always, income is only half the issue. Outgo is the other half, and optomistic income forecasts lead to over spending. Then when income falls, we have a fertizer/ventilator problem...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  10. #140
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: So How Did the Bush Tax Cuts Work Out for the Economy?

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    As always, income is only half the issue. Outgo is the other half, and optomistic income forecasts lead to over spending. Then when income falls, we have a fertizer/ventilator problem...
    Yep, and that gives some the ammunition to blame revenue growth for the deficits which is absolute BS. Spending has always been the problem and is what causes deficits, not tax cuts. Haven't found anyone yet capable of explaining why income tax revenue grew after EVERY tax rate cut in history. I believe they know but just cannot admit it.

    Reagan cut taxes 10-10-5% and income tax revenue doubled during his term. Bush cut tax rates and went up 33%. Unfortunately Congress saw the increase in revenue as a reason to increase spending and thus gain greater control over the American people. That is a disaster!

Page 14 of 53 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •