Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 488

Thread: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

  1. #211
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You are right if truth doesn't matter, and people are not responsible for their actions, at least not repuiblican people. I don't excuse democrats for being whimps either. But let's not forget who was spreading the lies.
    Still don't get it, apparently math isn't a strong subject for you, Democrats controlled both Houses of Congress and at times had a filibuster proof Senate. Democrats stopped Obama from closing GITMO, not Republicans. Republicans didn't have the votes.

  2. #212
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Still don't get it, apparently math isn't a strong subject for you, Democrats controlled both Houses of Congress and at times had a filibuster proof Senate. Democrats stopped Obama from closing GITMO, not Republicans. Republicans didn't have the votes.
    Understand that completely. Now read what I wrote slowly this time and see if you can understand it the second time:

    You are right if truth doesn't matter, and people are not responsible for their actions, at least not repuiblican people. I don't excuse democrats for being whimps either. But let's not forget who was spreading the lies.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #213
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Understand that completely. Now read what I wrote slowly this time and see if you can understand it the second time:

    You are right if truth doesn't matter, and people are not responsible for their actions, at least not repuiblican people. I don't excuse democrats for being whimps either. But let's not forget who was spreading the lies.
    Had to throw in the partisan bs, what lies? Now read this very closely, Democrats controlled the Congress, had the votes to close GITMO but chose not it. It has nothing to do with those perceived lies, THEY HAD THE VOTES, REPUBLICANS COULDN'T STOP ANYTHING. Interesting how in your world the Democrats were right on every other issue and didn't pay any attention to Republicans but on this issue they bought the Republican "lies."

  4. #214
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Had to throw in the partisan bs, what lies? Now read this very closely, Democrats controlled the Congress, had the votes to close GITMO but chose not it. It has nothing to do with those perceived lies, THEY HAD THE VOTES, REPUBLICANS COULDN'T STOP ANYTHING. Interesting how in your world the Democrats were right on every other issue and didn't pay any attention to Republicans but on this issue they bought the Republican "lies."
    The fear mongering. We could house those at Gitmo quite fine here.

    "We will not stand by as your adminisration defies the will of the American people and brings these terrorists onto U.S. soil," a sentiment expressed in a joint letter to the president signed by ranking members of Armed Services, Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Calif.); Judiciary, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas); Intelligence, Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.); Appropriations, Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Calif.); Justice Appropriations subcommittee, Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.); and Homeland Security, Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)

    GOP turns up the heat over bringing Gitmo prisoners to U.S. soil - TheHill.com

    "No good purpose is served by allowing known terrorists, who trained at terrorist training camps, to come to the U.S. and live among us," said Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, the senior Republican on the [House Judiciary Committee]. "Guantanamo Bay was never meant to be an Ellis Island."

    Lamar Smith was so proud of this quote, it's the lead "story" on his House website this afternoon.

    Over the past couple of weeks, Republicans have generally played fast and loose with the language, so as to not blatantly lie. They'll say, for example, that terrorists might "come to our communities," which might be technically true if you found a neighborhood within 100 miles of a supermax detention facility and defined it as a "community."

    But Smith went the extra mile today, and warned of having terrorists "living among us," as if the Obama administration might just have al Qaeda members going to the movies, heading to the malls, and perusing the aisles of your local supermarket. Indeed, he compares the situation to immigration, as if we're welcoming huddled masses from Gitmo, yearning to breathe free, with open arms.

    The Washington Monthly

    Republicans criticised the move. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Americans and Congress had "already rejected bringing terrorists to US soil for long-term detention, and current law prohibits it".

    BBC News - Guantanamo inmates to be sent to Illinois prison

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #215
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    The fear mongering. We could house those at Gitmo quite fine here.

    "We will not stand by as your adminisration defies the will of the American people and brings these terrorists onto U.S. soil," a sentiment expressed in a joint letter to the president signed by ranking members of Armed Services, Rep. Buck McKeon (R-Calif.); Judiciary, Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas); Intelligence, Rep. Peter Hoekstra (R-Mich.); Appropriations, Rep. Jerry Lewis (R-Calif.); Justice Appropriations subcommittee, Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.); and Homeland Security, Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.)

    GOP turns up the heat over bringing Gitmo prisoners to U.S. soil - TheHill.com

    "No good purpose is served by allowing known terrorists, who trained at terrorist training camps, to come to the U.S. and live among us," said Rep. Lamar Smith of Texas, the senior Republican on the [House Judiciary Committee]. "Guantanamo Bay was never meant to be an Ellis Island."

    Lamar Smith was so proud of this quote, it's the lead "story" on his House website this afternoon.

    Over the past couple of weeks, Republicans have generally played fast and loose with the language, so as to not blatantly lie. They'll say, for example, that terrorists might "come to our communities," which might be technically true if you found a neighborhood within 100 miles of a supermax detention facility and defined it as a "community."

    But Smith went the extra mile today, and warned of having terrorists "living among us," as if the Obama administration might just have al Qaeda members going to the movies, heading to the malls, and perusing the aisles of your local supermarket. Indeed, he compares the situation to immigration, as if we're welcoming huddled masses from Gitmo, yearning to breathe free, with open arms.

    The Washington Monthly

    Republicans criticised the move. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell said Americans and Congress had "already rejected bringing terrorists to US soil for long-term detention, and current law prohibits it".

    BBC News - Guantanamo inmates to be sent to Illinois prison
    Seems you have a math problem, Republicans didn't have the votes to stop Obama from doing what he wanted, something you continue to ignore.

  6. #216
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Seems you have a math problem, Republicans didn't have the votes to stop Obama from doing what he wanted, something you continue to ignore.
    Again, read slowly, I'm not excusing the democrats for being whimpy. Nor am I excusing the republicans for being dishonest and fear mongers. It's a pretty easy statement to follow.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #217
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,830

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Somebody doesn't know what a filibuster is...
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  8. #218
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Combat opperations have ceased in Iraq, and it is following the Iraqi timetable, which he siad he would do. As for Gitmo, are you removing the republican fear mongering from the equation? Do republicans shoulder no resonsibility for their efforts to prevent him from closing Gitmo?
    What does the GOP have to do with it when Obama had a filibuster proof senate?

    Don’t Call It Combat: US Troops Still Fighting Iraq War in Everything But Name -- News from Antiwar.com

  9. #219
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    What does the GOP have to do with it when Obama had a filibuster proof senate?

    Don’t Call It Combat: US Troops Still Fighting Iraq War in Everything But Name -- News from Antiwar.com
    When you convince the electorate of something, it effects how congress people vote. Dishonest to pretend it doesn't. but this is why I call democrats whimpy. I excuse neither. Aren't you trying to excuse republicans?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #220
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:35 PM
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,942

    Re: Private sector sheds 39,000 jobs in September

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    bailing out gm saved many, many jobs. it was the right thing to do...
    That remains to be seen. My suspicion is that the bailout postponed the layoffs. It doesn't have to be inevitable, but the root of their problems hasn't yet been addressed.

    I think we would have been better off to let GM go under and start over from scratch.

Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •