Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

  1. #41
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Really? So if you only get 40 percent of your previous wages and you're about to lose your home you'd rather stay on unemployment? Come on!

    Under your blind ignorance you expect these people to move to California from wherever they live in the U.S. (which in their present situation they can't afford) and make wages that wouldn't even make their house payment. Man you self rigthteous righties just kill me.

    BTW I know lots of individuals that would love to get back to work including my twin brother who was comptroller for 25 years. He sends out 40 to 50 resumes a week with very few response and no jobs. He can't make it on the umemployment he's on even though he is at the highest amount. My parents have to help him or he will lose his house. He has no credit card debt and is quite frugal, and his house payment is at a fixed rate. He's not giving up but is sitting for CPA exam soon in hopes it will make him more marketable.
    Has he tried Burger King as a supplement to his unemployment?



    I seriously doubt that he has...... probably won't settle for any job below his old comptroller position.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    . Relevance? How or why he was there or for what amount of time doesn't diminish the damage of is "in character" appearance conveyed. That and his schtick flopped... I mean he died in there bad. While I appreciate your need to keep facts straight, the facts in this case are irrelevant.
    Well if we are throwing out facts I heard he gave his speech in a Mao Suit.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Did you read my posts, or any facts about this for that matter? He wasn't invited by any congressmen, he was invited by the United Farm Workers, who after being given time to use for testimony can choose to use it how they wish. Of course the Congressmen can request the statements in writing or simply ask, or even force, a person to leave. However he spoke for FIVE MINUTES.

    If you want to talk and educate yourself about government waste, trust me, there are bigger things than FIVE MINUTES of time in front of a congressional sub committee.

    I don't even understand why this has even become an issue, its so tiny compared to everything else one could look at.
    You are wrong

    Stephen Colbert cracks jokes at Capitol Hill hearing - Political Intelligence - A national political and campaign blog from The Boston Globe - Boston.com

    Colbert was invited to testify by the chairwoman of the House subcommittee on immigration, US Representative Zoe Lofgren, Democrat of California, who had appeared with him on The Colbert Report on Comedy Central to draw attention to the plight of illegal immigrant farm laborers.

    The show almost didn't go on. Colbert had barely seated himself and prepared to testify when US Representative John Conyers, Democrat of Michigan, asked him to leave. Conyers mentioned the slew of reporters packing the hearing room and asked Colbert to submit written testimony and leave so the committee could get on with its work.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by EnigmaO01 View Post
    Really? So if you only get 40 percent of your previous wages and you're about to lose your home you'd rather stay on unemployment? Come on!

    Under your blind ignorance you expect these people to move to California from wherever they live in the U.S. (which in their present situation they can't afford) and make wages that wouldn't even make their house payment. Man you self rigthteous righties just kill me.

    BTW I know lots of individuals that would love to get back to work including my twin brother who was comptroller for 25 years. He sends out 40 to 50 resumes a week with very few response and no jobs. He can't make it on the umemployment he's on even though he is at the highest amount. My parents have to help him or he will lose his house. He has no credit card debt and is quite frugal, and his house payment is at a fixed rate. He's not giving up but is sitting for CPA exam soon in hopes it will make him more marketable.
    If they did not have unemployment they would do those jobs to feed their family

  5. #45
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Well if we are throwing out facts I heard he gave his speech in a Mao Suit.
    That's not out of the ordinary. And it seems as though your facts were not only irrelevant but also wrong. (Hat tip: ptif219)
    “I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on what’s being proposed here, he’d agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute.” - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Has he tried Burger King as a supplement to his unemployment?



    I seriously doubt that he has...... probably won't settle for any job below his old comptroller position.
    If you work the money you make will lower your unemployment. This is why people only accept jobs that meet the salaries of their old jobs.

  7. #47
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    If they did not have unemployment they would do those jobs to feed their family
    Do you have any idea how much it costs to move?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Do you have any idea how much it costs to move?
    They grow crops in all states |352|
    Last edited by ptif219; 09-26-10 at 10:49 PM.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    That's not out of the ordinary. And it seems as though your facts were not only irrelevant but also wrong. (Hat tip: ptif219)
    My mistake. But still, facts are never irrelevant otherwise one has no reasonable basis for an opinion.

  10. #50
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,287

    Re: Colbert to testify at House immigration hearing: report

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    After his 5 minutes of nonsense...






    He was subsequently asked to leave...





    The look on his face was the funniest thing he's done in quite a while.
    Apparently many lawmakers were unimpressed and unimmused by Colbert's act. Of course they were stupid enough to invite him. Nevertheless, the fact that hazlnut finds his testimony useful, is telling.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •