Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 113

Thread: Recession Ended in June 2009

  1. #61
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    I hope you don't think that editorial convinces me. Should I produce an editorial of my own?

    And therein, I think, lies the real reason that Republicans have been fighting so hard. It is not that they think this legislation is the political kiss of death; it's that, in their hearts, they're terrified that it will be a rousing success.

    Why Republicans Fear Obama's Healthcare Reform - John A. Farrell (usnews.com)

    The health care reform law is an overdue and vital step in the construction of a social safety net, which began after the Great Depression and slowly moved forward — often in a bipartisan manner — until it was interrupted by the Republican Party’s radical antigovernment fervor in the late 20th century.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/opinion/24wed1.html

    But during his first 20 months in the White House, Obama led the way to making several significant changes that help ordinary Americans and businesses, including:

    | Extending unemployment insurance benefits to 96 weeks, helping millions of Americans without jobs to survive after their benefits ran out. The U.S. Senate passed this legislation, 60-40, on July 22, shortly after Carte Goodwin was sworn in to take the late Sen. Robert C. Byrd's seat. These short-term benefits help families keep their houses and cars, take care of their children and keep their bills paid until they are able to find new jobs.

    | Signing eight different tax cuts for small businesses into law. A health-care tax credit, a tax credit for hiring unemployed workers and tax incentives to support new investments by small- business owners all help to reward the often-overlooked sector of the economy. If small businesses thrive and hire, everyone does better.


    EDITORIAL: Success: 20-month record | Government > Elections & Politics from AllBusiness.com

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I hope you don't think that editorial convinces me. Should I produce an editorial of my own?

    And therein, I think, lies the real reason that Republicans have been fighting so hard. It is not that they think this legislation is the political kiss of death; it's that, in their hearts, they're terrified that it will be a rousing success.

    Why Republicans Fear Obama's Healthcare Reform - John A. Farrell (usnews.com)

    The health care reform law is an overdue and vital step in the construction of a social safety net, which began after the Great Depression and slowly moved forward — often in a bipartisan manner — until it was interrupted by the Republican Party’s radical antigovernment fervor in the late 20th century.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/24/opinion/24wed1.html

    But during his first 20 months in the White House, Obama led the way to making several significant changes that help ordinary Americans and businesses, including:

    | Extending unemployment insurance benefits to 96 weeks, helping millions of Americans without jobs to survive after their benefits ran out. The U.S. Senate passed this legislation, 60-40, on July 22, shortly after Carte Goodwin was sworn in to take the late Sen. Robert C. Byrd's seat. These short-term benefits help families keep their houses and cars, take care of their children and keep their bills paid until they are able to find new jobs.

    | Signing eight different tax cuts for small businesses into law. A health-care tax credit, a tax credit for hiring unemployed workers and tax incentives to support new investments by small- business owners all help to reward the often-overlooked sector of the economy. If small businesses thrive and hire, everyone does better.


    EDITORIAL: Success: 20-month record | Government > Elections & Politics from AllBusiness.com
    Nice spin but does nothing for Business that will be taxed because of Obamacare. The expense will cause employers to rethink hiring practices

    Unemployment is still happening

    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE67N3B320100923

    Initial claims for state unemployment benefits increased 12,000 to a seasonally adjusted 465,000, the Labor Department said, breaking two straight weeks of declines. Financial markets had forecast claims steady at 450,000.
    Last edited by ptif219; 09-23-10 at 02:25 PM.

  3. #63
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Nice spin but does nothing for Business that will be taxed because of Obamacare. The expense will cause employers to rethink hiring practices

    Unemployment is still happening

    Data hints economic soft patch may be easing | Reuters

    Initial claims for state unemployment benefits increased 12,000 to a seasonally adjusted 465,000, the Labor Department said, breaking two straight weeks of declines. Financial markets had forecast claims steady at 450,000.
    Factually, taxes don't go up.

    Health Care Reform | FactCheck.org

    More than half of Americans mistakenly believe the overhaul will raise taxes for most people this year, an Associated Press poll finds. But that would be true only if most people were devoted to indoor tanning, which got hit with a sales tax.

    Many Americans still don't know what's in health law - Health - Health care - msnbc.com

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #64
    Educator mikeey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Seen
    01-31-12 @ 07:37 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    776

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    , there is a 100,million unemployed in the usa thats y u have Quantitive Easing,thats what President Bush left in his legacy,haha,also Freedy mac and Fanny mae ran away,and left

    you wonderful people that i love, BROKE,omg it is about time you guys thro President Bush in a correction Centre for the rest of his days haha.

    mikeey

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Factually, taxes don't go up.

    Health Care Reform | FactCheck.org

    More than half of Americans mistakenly believe the overhaul will raise taxes for most people this year, an Associated Press poll finds. But that would be true only if most people were devoted to indoor tanning, which got hit with a sales tax.

    Many Americans still don't know what's in health law - Health - Health care - msnbc.com
    Nice try but how is Obama going to pay for this?

  6. #66
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Nice try but how is Obama going to pay for this?
    Read the Bill. There is no public option, so Obama doesn't have to pay for that. People have to provide their own insurance for the most part, and the government is only helping those who demonstrate they can't afford it. Some of that is made up by cutting out middle men in education loans, and by one tax on tanning beds, who help make a lot of people sick.

    But, investigate and I think you will find you're misunderstood a lot.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #67
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Nice try but how is Obama going to pay for this?
    Most of the postives are going into affect now - they timed that so it would help democrats come election time, it obviously didn't quite work out that way.

    Those positives won't require higher government taxes, but will lead to higher insurance premiums. Essentially the same outcome as higher taxes (people will have less take home pay).

    Higher taxes and less popular reforms won't occur until later. I believe that was timed so that Obama wouldn't have to answer questions about the negative aspects until after his "reelection".
    Last edited by buck; 09-23-10 at 06:47 PM.

  8. #68
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    Most of the postives are going into affect now - they timed that so it would help democrats come election time, it obviously didn't quite work out that way.

    The negative aspects of the bill, the costs to the government and the increase in taxes won't be occuring until some time down the road.
    Name them, when and where and on who.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #69
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Name them, when and where and on who.

    I edited my post after you had already quoted, but name the higher taxes? Do you not recall that fight with unions about the increased taxes on their health benefits (tax will affect many more people then just unions)? How about the pharmaceutical industry (who will be paying that tax, do you think?)

    Anyway, medicare payroll taxed are going up, and medicare tax will begin to be collected for the first time on investment income. The medical expense deduction will be changed, leading to more people not being able to claim the deduction. That's just a few. Maybe you should take the advice you offered to Ptif and actually research the bill. :Shrug:
    Last edited by buck; 09-23-10 at 07:12 PM.

  10. #70
    Sage
    RDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Last Seen
    10-10-17 @ 05:51 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,398

    Re: Recession Ended in June 2009

    It ended in June 2009? But where are the jobs? Unemployment rate as of now is 9.6%. Wake me up when the unemployment rate normalizes to 5%.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •