Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast
Results 381 to 390 of 438

Thread: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

  1. #381
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    This is how and why.

    §8. Respect for flag

    No disrespect should be shown to the flag of the United States of America; the flag should not be dipped to any person or thing. Regimental colors, State flags, and organization or institutional flags are to be dipped as a mark of honor.

    1. The flag should never be displayed with the union down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property.
    2. The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.
    3. The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.
    4. The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.
    5. The flag should never be fastened, displayed, used, or stored in such a manner as to permit it to be easily torn, soiled, or damaged in any way.
    6. The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.
    7. The flag should never have placed upon it, nor on any part of it, nor attached to it any mark, insignia, letter, word, figure, design, picture, or drawing of any nature.
    8. The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.
    9. The flag should never be used for advertising purposes in any manner whatsoever. It should not be embroidered on such articles as cushions or handkerchiefs and the like, printed or otherwise impressed on paper napkins or boxes or anything that is designed for temporary use and discard. Advertising signs should not be fastened to a staff or halyard from which the flag is flown.
    10. No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
    11. The flag, when it is in such condition that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, should be destroyed in a dignified way, preferably by burning
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #382
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This is how and why.
    .

    Actually they weren't wearing flags.....



    .


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  3. #383
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Were they using an actual American flag or just material with a flag print on it? The former is disrespectful and there's nothing wrong with the latter.


  4. #384
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    .

    Actually they weren't wearing flags.....



    .
    Nice strawman, but they were, in fact, wearing representations of the flag. It was disrepectful, period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #385
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,322
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Nice strawman, but they were, in fact, wearing representations of the flag. It was disrepectful, period.
    You'll say anything you can to discredit this. And all it asks is, perhaps we should calm down before this gets out of control.

    But carry on. As usual.

    Double standards for all.

  6. #386
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Nice strawman, but they were, in fact, wearing representations of the flag. It was disrepectful, period.
    I think you're being just a tish bit ridiculous. Step back from your longing to diminish the rally and you'll realize that conservatives wear American flag shirts all the time. Everyone does! It's not disrespectful at all.

    However, they were wearing them not to show their patriotism, but to make fun of those who do wear them. Again, I see nothing "insane" about wearing a flag shirt nor do I see anything disrespectul either.


  7. #387
    Advisor Teh Internets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 09:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    351

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    This is how and why.
    Those rules only apply to actual flags. Those where just clothes with stars with stars and stripes on them.

  8. #388
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    I think you're being just a tish bit ridiculous. Step back from your longing to diminish the rally and you'll realize that conservatives wear American flag shirts all the time. Everyone does! It's not disrespectful at all.

    However, they were wearing them not to show their patriotism, but to make fun of those who do wear them. Again, I see nothing "insane" about wearing a flag shirt nor do I see anything disrespectul either.
    It's disrespectful. I don't care who's doing, or why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #389
    pawn in the game of life
    pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    10-17-17 @ 05:33 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,984

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    I think you're being just a tish bit ridiculous. Step back from your longing to diminish the rally and you'll realize that conservatives wear American flag shirts all the time. Everyone does! It's not disrespectful at all.

    However, they were wearing them not to show their patriotism, but to make fun of those who do wear them. Again, I see nothing "insane" about wearing a flag shirt nor do I see anything disrespectful either.
    The distinction that seems to be getting missed is between "wearing a shirt made out of a flag" (bad).....and "wearing a shirt that includes patterns similar to those in the flag" (good, colorful, and actually kinda spirit lifting )

    Then there is that other thingy about beating one's head against a wall which this seems to be evolving into....



    .


    .
    Last edited by pragmatic; 10-30-10 at 09:23 PM.


    “Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

  10. #390
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Mellie View Post
    Do you agree with Jon Stewart, pb, that people need to stop calling the tea parties racist?
    Yes,I don't believe anyone should be calling people racists. However, I do believe some of the signs at Tea Party gatherings were racist in nature. I have seen signs depicting President Obama as a monkey, I believe that these signs could be considered racist. Whether the people carrying those signs were racist it's hard to tell.


Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •