Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 438

Thread: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

  1. #301
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    "His desire to destroy America"??? Really, you have some nerve doing the very thing you are calling me out for.
    ...

    I'm saying that I've criticized people on the right for saying ridiculous things, such as that Obama wants to destroy the country. I'm not saying that I think he wants to destroy the country.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #302
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    ...

    I'm saying that I've criticized people on the right for saying ridiculous things, such as that Obama wants to destroy the country. I'm not saying that I think he wants to destroy the country.
    My mistake, I misunderstood you. Okay so you criticize people on the right for saying ridiculous things, but I haven't seen it. Instead I've only seen you insult me, twist my words, take them out of context and put your own meaning to them so that everything I say will look ridiculous to your little following. That's what I see, RightinNYC. And I don't think I"m the only one because I've seen you do it to others as well. I don't want to say anything more that might be misconstrued or get me into trouble because you obviously have the upper hand here since I can't tell if you're debating or moderating me. So maybe we should continue this conversation in private.

  3. #303
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    My mistake, I misunderstood you. Okay so you criticize people on the right for saying ridiculous things, but I haven't seen it.
    Then I don't think you're looking very hard, as I argue with extreme partisans on the right about as often as I argue with those on the left. Recently it's been more of the left, due to an influx of threads complaining about every little thing involving anyone remotely related to the tea party. Prior to that, there was a flood of threads attacking Obama for everything that any person related to his administration did. Before that, there was a whole bunch of hyperbole about how the republicans were destroying the country by voting against everything. Before that, the forum was enthralled with the concept of death panels. The forum moves in waves - when there are more dumb conservative things being said, there's more to criticize on that side and vice versa.

    Instead I've only seen you insult me, twist my words, take them out of context and put your own meaning to them so that everything I say will look ridiculous to your little following. That's what I see, RightinNYC. And I don't think I"m the only one because I've seen you do it to others as well.
    This is a debate forum where people come to debate politics. If you want to make inflammatory or otherwise unsupportable statements, you should expect that people will challenge you on them. If that debate makes your statements look ridiculous, look to your statements before blaming others.

    I don't want to say anything more that might be misconstrued or get me into trouble because you obviously have the upper hand here since I can't tell if you're debating or moderating me.
    I don't give out infractions in threads I'm participating in, so that's not something you have to worry about. As a general rule of thumb, unless something is in a

    Moderator's Warning:
    It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC mod box


    we're posters, not mods.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #304
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Then I don't think you're looking very hard, as I argue with extreme partisans on the right about as often as I argue with those on the left. Recently it's been more of the left, due to an influx of threads complaining about every little thing involving anyone remotely related to the tea party. Prior to that, there was a flood of threads attacking Obama for everything that any person related to his administration did. Before that, there was a whole bunch of hyperbole about how the republicans were destroying the country by voting against everything. Before that, the forum was enthralled with the concept of death panels. The forum moves in waves - when there are more dumb conservative things being said, there's more to criticize on that side and vice versa.
    Then please provide a few links of you criticizing those on the right in the same manner you do me, so that I may see for myself if there is any truth in what you say.

    This is a debate forum where people come to debate politics. If you want to make inflammatory or otherwise unsupportable statements, you should expect that people will challenge you on them. If that debate makes your statements look ridiculous, look to your statements before blaming others.
    Then you should expect the same to your inflammatory, unsupportable, fallacious, statements as well. I am perfectly capable of defending my arguments and I blame no one for what I write. I wouldn't even be having this discussion if you weren't hijacking this thread to make the discussion about me and blame me for what you percieve as (a summation of your words) "that's ridiculous, that's irrelevant, that's ignorant, you're wrong, you don't understand anything, where did I say that, can you read, what are you talking about (ignores point made), look it up in the dictionary, what does that have to do with the anything (ignores topic), you're arguing that____(get it all wrong), here's me, here's you, that has nothing to do with what I said (hijacks thread), I never said that,", and now your latest fallicious ad hominem trick is to accuse me of fear mongering. That would be very funny if you weren't so serious.

    I don't give out infractions in threads I'm participating in, so that's not something you have to worry about. As a general rule of thumb, unless something is in a

    Moderator's Warning:
    It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC mod box


    we're posters, not mods.
    Well thats all well and good but if I behaved like you do, I would get a warning for hijacking, baiting, flaming, trolling, or worse. Check your PM

    So no, I don't believe it is possible to have a fair, honest or legitimate debate with you because you will always have the upper hand and can behave how ever you want. The rest of us have to be very careful what we say to you and not get the same respect in return.

  5. #305
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Then please provide a few links of you criticizing those on the right in the same manner you do me, so that I may see for myself if there is any truth in what you say.
    I'm not your research assistant, nor do I care what you think about me, so I'll pass.

    Then you should expect the same to your inflammatory, unsupportable, fallacious, statements as well.
    Good. That's debate.

    Well thats all well and good but if I behaved like you do, I would get a warning for hijacking, baiting, flaming, trolling, or worse. Check your PM

    So no, I don't believe it is possible to have a fair, honest or legitimate debate with you because you will always have the upper hand and can behave how ever you want. The rest of us have to be very careful what we say to you and not get the same respect in return.
    I've explained the difference between moderating and posting. If you think that I'm breaking the rules, you're more than welcome to report my posts. Don't use the fact that I'm a moderator as an excuse.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I'm not your research assistant, nor do I care what you think about me, so I'll pass.
    That's what I thought.

    Good. That's debate.
    That's debatable.

    I've explained the difference between moderating and posting. If you think that I'm breaking the rules, you're more than welcome to report my posts. Don't use the fact that I'm a moderator as an excuse
    Good, I will keep that in mind.

  7. #307
    blond bombshell

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    uk
    Last Seen
    10-19-12 @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,729

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Im sure the right wing media is gonna be able to find left wing nutjobs just like the vice versa of the tea party rally.
    The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking.

  8. #308
    Teacher of All Things


    Josie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    28,358

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Are the Communists and Socialists sponsoring this one too?


  9. #309
    Student E_Pluribus_Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    12-31-13 @ 05:20 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    187

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Be serious - do you actually think that saying "the right wing is a threat to the country" is productive and mature debate?
    If credible, sure. Truth doesn't need a coat of sugar.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    What would you think about someone who told you that "the left wing is a threat to the country"?
    See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I think fearmongering is dumb no matter where it comes from.
    True only if you're operating on the premise that any blanket criticism of party strategy is fear-mongering. Credible arguments can apply.

  10. #310
    Educator Jucon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    04-22-14 @ 07:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    787

    Re: It's Official Jon Stewart & Colbert will host a rally on October 30th in DC

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Then you should expect the same to your inflammatory, unsupportable, fallacious, statements as well. I am perfectly capable of defending my arguments and I blame no one for what I write. I wouldn't even be having this discussion if you weren't hijacking this thread to make the discussion about me and blame me for what you percieve as (a summation of your words) "that's ridiculous, that's irrelevant, that's ignorant, you're wrong, you don't understand anything, where did I say that, can you read, what are you talking about (ignores point made), look it up in the dictionary, what does that have to do with the anything (ignores topic), you're arguing that____(get it all wrong), here's me, here's you, that has nothing to do with what I said (hijacks thread), I never said that,", and now your latest fallicious ad hominem trick is to accuse me of fear mongering. That would be very funny if you weren't so serious.
    Two things:
    1. That is one long ass sentence
    2. If you don't want to have the discussion you're having, stop posting about it. Let it go and lets keep this thread on topic. I'm sick of seeing these personal attacks.
    "There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leader, and concerting measures in opposition to each other. This, in my humble apprehension, it to be dreaded as the greatest political evil under our Constitution." óJohn Adams

Page 31 of 44 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •