Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 291 to 300 of 440

Thread: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

  1. #291
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Technocratic View Post
    Smoking anything isn't good for you, whether it's wacky tobacky or plain tobacco. Smoke inhalation is bad. That should be common sense.
    So then let people decide whether or not they want to be around it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #292
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:04 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Here's a thought: consider that businesses have to find enough labor fit enough to work and if the majority of working age folks in the community have chronic emphizema, or are obese, or addicted to drugs, or alcoholic, or even uneducated, then businesses will either go somewhere else or go out of business rather than hire people who are unfit to work. And if a enough people in the community can't get hired or get a job, they will either resort to crime or go on the dole and then the entire community can become destabilized. And thats when the government should care, because at the end of the day, the government is the people and it's the people who want security and a healthy environment to live and a place to work, so they won't have to resort to crime or go on the dole. So I guess the moral of my story is if people made healthy lifestyle choices in the first place, we wouldn't need the government to ban cigarettes, booze, drugs, and monitor caloric intake so we can be fit enough to work.

  3. #293
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    Don't knock it if you haven't tried it...

    It's not habit forming, doesn't bum users out, and is a boon to those in pain and alleviates other medical problems...

    ricksfolly
    MJ when used as a medicine is not smoked. It is taken in pill form or as a tea. No doctor tells their patients to smoke MJ.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  4. #294
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Do you want a cookie or something? Your statement is garbage because it is made under the basis of a fallacy.
    grow up. I don't really care if you think it is garbage. Weather you want to admit it or not this thread was started because non-smokers want to put more restrictions on smokers. Therefore this thread is about non-smokers.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #295
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Here's a thought: consider that businesses have to find enough labor fit enough to work and if the majority of working age folks in the community have chronic emphizema, or are obese, or addicted to drugs, or alcoholic, or even uneducated, then businesses will either go somewhere else or go out of business rather than hire people who are unfit to work. And if a enough people in the community can't get hired or get a job, they will either resort to crime or go on the dole and then the entire community can become destabilized. And thats when the government should care, because at the end of the day, the government is the people and it's the people who want security and a healthy environment to live and a place to work, so they won't have to resort to crime or go on the dole. So I guess the moral of my story is if people made healthy lifestyle choices in the first place, we wouldn't need the government to ban cigarettes, booze, drugs, and monitor caloric intake so we can be fit enough to work.
    But here's the thing. The government is suppose to be "of the people". Not just a select group of people that happen to save it money because they are more healthy than others.

    And what you seem to be advocating here is a nanny state government. Yet the US is suppose to be about freedom. Freedom and a nanny state government is not compatible. Yeah it may be stupid to smoke or drink or eat until you're 500lbs, but that is a persons right.

    Also, what you said in your post is not what has been shown to be true in reality. People have smoked cigarettes, been obese, done drugs, and drank alchohol for centuries. Yet society has not been destabilized because of it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #296
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,582

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    You should be able to smoke anything you want, as long as you do it outdoors and downwind.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #297
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    MJ when used as a medicine is not smoked. It is taken in pill form or as a tea. No doctor tells their patients to smoke MJ.
    That's not true. In BC I can prescribe cannabis (its real name) to people and I recommend they vaporize it. Lung inhalation remains the fastest way to deliver drugs to the blood.

  8. #298
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Soviet Technate
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    359

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    And what you seem to be advocating here is a nanny state government. Yet the US is suppose to be about freedom. Freedom and a nanny state government is not compatible. Yeah it may be stupid to smoke or drink or eat until you're 500lbs, but that is a persons right.
    Well, you know what they say. If you don't need a nanny, you shouldn't act like a child. IMO, when people act like kids, they ought to be treated like them. I don't see why a Nanny State is a bad thing, when so many adults act like irresponsible, stupid children. People cannot really handle "freedom", nor do they really want that. They perform best under an illusion of self-direction and abundant choice and freedom, while they actually need and want structure, rules, and limitations in their lives. Adults NEED a nanny state. It's fundamental to the human psyche. Too much choice and freedom is bad for you, so what people say they want isn't really what they want. They just think they want "Freedom," because they don't know any better.

    When people have too much freedom, they hurt themselves, society, and then regret it later. But then it's too late.

    Also, what you said in your post is not what has been shown to be true in reality. People have smoked cigarettes, been obese, done drugs, and drank alchohol for centuries. Yet society has not been destabilized because of it.

    There certainly have been fat people throughout history, but there hasn't been the epidemic of obesity until recently. It's not that people have not been fat, but not on the scale and scope of today.
    Last edited by Technocratic; 09-23-10 at 12:09 AM.

  9. #299
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Technocratic View Post
    Well, you know what they say. If you don't need a nanny, you shouldn't act like a child. IMO, when people act like kids, they ought to be treated like them. I don't see why a Nanny State is a bad thing, when so many adults act like irresponsible, stupid children. People cannot really handle "freedom", nor do they really want that. They perform best under an illusion of self-direction and abundant choice and freedom, while they actually need and want structure, rules, and limitations in their lives. Adults NEED a nanny state. It's fundamental to the human psyche. Too much choice and freedom is bad for you, so what people say they want isn't really what they want. They just think they want "Freedom," because they don't know any better.
    If you can't handle freedom, that's your problem. Check yourself into a nursing home if you're really serious about it.

    It doesn't give you the license to start revoking my freedom, though. Some of us are actually mature enough to deal with life.

  10. #300
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,880
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    That's not true. In BC I can prescribe cannabis (its real name) to people and I recommend they vaporize it. Lung inhalation remains the fastest way to deliver drugs to the blood.
    There is a big difference between vaporizing and smoking. (and yes I know its real name..MJ is just quicker )
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 30 of 44 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •