Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 440

Thread: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

  1. #271
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,445
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    I think if smoking is such a problem, and they can tell us what kind of light bulbs and crappers to use, we have to address HIV/AIDS in a government interventionist manner too. Millions have died from HIV/AIDS, and so I propose... for the safety all all people, homo or heterosexual, that we develop a sensor system for sodomy. Call it The New Apollo program. No blasting off until all systems are go! The job is to develop a system to protect the sodomizers... if an erect penis is about to enter an anus, an neighborhood alarm goes off and the local Sex Police have the right to enter your home and make sure that you are wearing a government sanctioned condom fit for the act of sodomy.

    Condom disposal must follow Hazmat guidelines.

    All in the name of protecting the masses y'know.

    .
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  2. #272
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Moderator's Warning:
    Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities Let's stick to the topic at hand. If it's not about cigarettes, drop it.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #273
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Of course Vehicular traffic also causes pollution not only of the Air but also the ground.
    However this particular Post was about smoking in New York Public places.
    I am fully in favor of banning smoking everywhere and everyone who smokes.
    As an aside I would also ban vehicular traffic from anywhere in the USA, after all we could always travel in the USA, on the backs of Donkeys, as opposed in the USA, of everyone having to carry Donkeys

  4. #274
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Well now lets see, no history of cancer in her family, in fact longevity ran her family. She was a non smoker, didn't do drugs, but worked for several years in a windowless bar in LA that was constantly filled with SHS and she lived in an apartment in Long Beach for several years with SHS constantly filtering up through the hallways and air vents. It was bad. But I wasn't there when the doctors gave her diagnosis, but she was pretty convinced it was the SHS and so am I. She wasn't bitter about it though, because that was the life she chose and she knew that life is full of risks. She just died too young that's all...and I miss her. Sad thing is, I also think my own SHS killed my cat, so I don't even smoke in my own house anymore and now I smoke on the patio or out in the garage.
    In LA huh...a place known for its smog. I respect that you think that it was cigarette smoke that caused the cancer. But I'm sorry, I'm still not convinced that it couldn't have been one of the many other ways in which lung cancer can be gotten. Especially being in a city that is as dirty as LA.

    In anycase, I do want you to know that I am under no delusion as to thinking that SHS is not the cause of cancer in people. I just don't think that it is the cause of as much as so many anti-smokers claim. The facts don't really support it.

    Also, I am sorry for your loss.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  5. #275
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    We are not here to discuss non smokers and their irresponsible activities. The fact of the matter is, the effects of smoking are nowhere near internalized to the smoking population; and their actions spillover into the lives of others. Cigarette butt litter is an issue.



    Textbook red herring.
    RR's argument still stands. This thread was started because non-smokers are trying to ban smokers from smoking in common areas such as parks. So they are as much apart of this discussion as are smokers. Trying to limit this whole debate to the supposed "irresponsibility" of smokers is disengenous. Especially when you seem to want to make a blanket statement about the whole group. A false blanket statement at that. For proof I give you...me. I never throw my cigarette onto the ground. I rub out the cherry and pocket the butt until I have time to put it in the garbage. I have not smoked on a sidewalk in about 5 years now. I don't smoke any where near other people unless I know them to be smokers also. If someone comes to my house and I know that they are non-smokers I show them respect by not lighting up until after they leave.

    Sorry bud, but your blanket statement is quite false.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  6. #276
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It's pompous and arrogant to say SHS can't cause cancer when clearly it does, and the law agrees.
    I have never stated that SHS can't cause cancer. I have stated that the chance of it doing so is negligable. As in remote. As in the chances are small. (at the very least smaller than what many anti-smokers would have you beilieve) I wonder if you are really reading and comprehending what it is I am saying....

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I don't use cleaning products. I use vinegar, baking soda, and water. Nothing else is needed.
    So you don't use dish soap to wash your dishes? Amazing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You can't think of examples of things I do in parks that harm others sitting near me. Smokers do just that.
    That is not what my challenge stated. My challenge was....

    If you want I'll even make a list of things that are not needed in society but are just creature comforts...and is the cause of lots of the pollutants that you say you are against.
    That includes every single thing that you use or have. Shall I make that list? Or are you finally willing to admit that you are a cause of needless toxins in the air also?
    Last edited by Kal'Stang; 09-21-10 at 09:52 PM.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #277
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    RR's argument still stands. This thread was started because non-smokers are trying to ban smokers from smoking in common areas such as parks. So they are as much apart of this discussion as are smokers. Trying to limit this whole debate to the supposed "irresponsibility" of smokers is disengenous. Especially when you seem to want to make a blanket statement about the whole group. A false blanket statement at that. For proof I give you...me. I never throw my cigarette onto the ground. I rub out the cherry and pocket the butt until I have time to put it in the garbage. I have not smoked on a sidewalk in about 5 years now. I don't smoke any where near other people unless I know them to be smokers also. If someone comes to my house and I know that they are non-smokers I show them respect by not lighting up until after they leave.

    Sorry bud, but your blanket statement is quite false.
    Oh please, spare me your condensending attitude. In case you didn't read, I'm a smoker too and have commented for and against both sides of the arguement. I'm also every bit as conscientious and a considerate smoker as you, if not more so, because I don't even smoke in my own damn house and I make my guests smoke outside, too. And as for LA having a smog problem, again you are wrong. Although not 100%, the air is nowhere near as bad as it used to be since they've been putting additives in the gasoline and with the low emission vechicles. In fact, there are far worse polluted cities in the US than LA is or ever was. So that tells me that either you and/or your information are severly outdated. So save yourself the embarrassment and do try to keep up, luv.

  8. #278
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    RR's argument still stands. This thread was started because non-smokers are trying to ban smokers from smoking in common areas such as parks. So they are as much apart of this discussion as are smokers. Trying to limit this whole debate to the supposed "irresponsibility" of smokers is disengenous. Especially when you seem to want to make a blanket statement about the whole group. A false blanket statement at that. For proof I give you...me. I never throw my cigarette onto the ground. I rub out the cherry and pocket the butt until I have time to put it in the garbage. I have not smoked on a sidewalk in about 5 years now. I don't smoke any where near other people unless I know them to be smokers also. If someone comes to my house and I know that they are non-smokers I show them respect by not lighting up until after they leave.

    Sorry bud, but your blanket statement is quite false.
    Using anecdotal evidence on a message board as a means of proof is a fallacy. So i have little doubt you agree with RR (by being a smoker and user of fallacies).
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #279
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:04 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,462

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    In LA huh...a place known for its smog. I respect that you think that it was cigarette smoke that caused the cancer. But I'm sorry, I'm still not convinced that it couldn't have been one of the many other ways in which lung cancer can be gotten. Especially being in a city that is as dirty as LA.

    In anycase, I do want you to know that I am under no delusion as to thinking that SHS is not the cause of cancer in people. I just don't think that it is the cause of as much as so many anti-smokers claim. The facts don't really support it.

    Also, I am sorry for your loss.
    Aahhh jeez, I answered the wrong post. Pay no attention to the dingy broad in post #277. It's late and I should have gone to bed hours ago, so my apologies for saying you were "condensending."

    Well, of course I can't prove my friend died of SHS and I'm not about to dig her up just to win an argument on a forum. So we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. But thank you for your sympathy.

  10. #280
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,858
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Using anecdotal evidence on a message board as a means of proof is a fallacy. So i have little doubt you agree with RR (by being a smoker and user of fallacies).


    Aside from my use of ancedotal evidence what I said still stands. This thread is about both smokers and non-smokers. I should know since I am the one that started the thread.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

Page 28 of 44 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •