Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 440

Thread: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

  1. #191
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    not in downtown areas, and you don't know how fast I can ride a bike... and yes, speed limits in urban areas definately are about public safety...
    The fact is that you are usually slower than the riders around you and you have minimal gear to protect you from the damage a car could do.
    Bikes should be removed from the road, for the sake of public safety and health.

    Your choice to ride bikes, could cost the tax payer.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  2. #192
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Because you are telling people to smoke in the privacy of their home and youre even against that.
    Only if their smoking in their home violates the rights of others, including captive children... if not, then light up...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  3. #193
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The fact is that you are usually slower than the riders around you and you have minimal gear to protect you from the damage a car could do.
    Bikes should be removed from the road, for the sake of public safety and health.

    Your choice to ride bikes, could cost the tax payer.
    Except that on the roads I ride on, I am riding the speed limit on roads with one lane per direction and on other roads, cars should be in the left lane or stay out of the scooter/bicycle lane (and definately don't park in them)

    The biggest problem is users of the road not following and respecting applicable laws and regulations. If you do that, there will be few problems...

    And it is your choice to drive cars that costs the taxpayer far more than people riding bicycles...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  4. #194
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Except that on the roads I ride on, I am riding the speed limit on roads with one lane per direction and on other roads, cars should be in the left lane or stay out of the scooter/bicycle lane (and definately don't park in them)

    The biggest problem is users of the road not following and respecting applicable laws and regulations. If you do that, there will be few problems...

    And it is your choice to drive cars that costs the taxpayer far more than people riding bicycles...
    Well I'm sorry you're choice is less important and less useful than cars.

    See how I can keep flipping you arguments, I really don't want to ban them but it's ridiculous to say that smoking hurts other people.
    By and large it only hurts smokers.

    Get off our back, we pay for that public space too.
    If you militants were nicer we'd be happy to move but frankly going after one group is counter productive
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 09-17-10 at 11:52 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #195
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Well I'm sorry you're choice is less important and less useful than cars.

    See how I can keep flipping you arguments, I really don't want to ban them but it's ridiculous to say that smoking hurts other people.
    By and large it only hurts smokers.

    Get off our back, we pay for that public space too.
    If you militants we're nicer we'd be happy to move but frankly going after one group is counter productive
    Very useful for me. Gets me where I want to go, saves me a lot in gas money, and keeps me fit and trim, not to mention the prize money from duathlons and triathlons I have won...

    I was nice about it until running into too many inconsiderate smokers...

    I am done with this conversation... once again the smokers have show the rediculous lengths they will go to defend their "right" to poison the air of others around them... thanks for the entertainment, but I have a typhoon to prepare for...
    Last edited by ludahai; 09-17-10 at 11:53 PM.
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  6. #196
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,621
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    Very useful for me. Gets me where I want to go, saves me a lot in gas money, and keeps me fit and trim, not to mention the prize money from duathlons and triathlons I have won...

    I was nice about it until running into too many inconsiderate smokers...

    I am done with this conversation... once again the smokers have show the rediculous lengths they will go to defend their "right" to poison the air of others around them... thanks for the entertainment, but I have a typhoon to prepare for...
    Ironic part here....SHS is less dangerous than riding a bicycle on a road.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  7. #197
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    Ironic part here....SHS is less dangerous than riding a bicycle on a road.
    1. I make the choice to ride a bicycle so I assume the risks. I do NOT choose to have a person invade my space with his smoke.
    2. The only reason a road is even marginally dangerous for a bicycle is when people violate the rules and regulations of the road -- and yes, sometimes it is bicycle riders, but oftentimes it is the scooter rider and car driver that is guilty. The only time I had an accident that required medical treatment, it was due to a driver who violated at least THREE rules/regulations that he was cited for by the police officer (in this case - double parking, parking in a scooter/bicycle lane, and failure to yield right of way when he opened the door as I was right next to his illegally parked car).

    Nice try, though...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

  8. #198
    Global Moderator
    The Truth is out there.
    Kal'Stang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry ID USA
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,621
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by ludahai View Post
    1. I make the choice to ride a bicycle so I assume the risks. I do NOT choose to have a person invade my space with his smoke.
    2. The only reason a road is even marginally dangerous for a bicycle is when people violate the rules and regulations of the road -- and yes, sometimes it is bicycle riders, but oftentimes it is the scooter rider and car driver that is guilty. The only time I had an accident that required medical treatment, it was due to a driver who violated at least THREE rules/regulations that he was cited for by the police officer (in this case - double parking, parking in a scooter/bicycle lane, and failure to yield right of way when he opened the door as I was right next to his illegally parked car).

    Nice try, though...
    See, even you admit that bicycle riders are at fault. IE they put other people in danger also...by getting in their way. IE invading their space. You think they choose to be put into danger by bicycle riders? This can be said for any activity that is even slightly dangerous. And that is not what you are getting. There are over 6+ billion people on this planet, do you really expect your space to not intersect in some dangerous way with someone elses at any point?

    BTW, Cigarettes by themselves do not cause cancer. There has to be a predisposition for that cancer already in existence. Normally genetic. Otherwise there would not be people that smoke 2-3 packs a day for 80+ years and never get cancer.

    As far as the arsenic and such, just like any other poison you can take it in very small doses. As you do you build up an immunity to it.
    I have an answer for everything...you may not like the answer or it may not satisfy your curiosity..but it will still be an answer. ~ Kal'Stang

    My mind and my heart are saying I'm in my twenties. My body is pointing at my mind and heart and laughing its ass off. ~ Kal'Stang

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    BTW, Cigarettes by themselves do not cause cancer. There has to be a predisposition for that cancer already in existence. Normally genetic. Otherwise there would not be people that smoke 2-3 packs a day for 80+ years and never get cancer.
    It's true that pre-disposition to cancer increases your chance of suffering uncontrolled cell mutation, but it's false that you need to have this pre-disposition to get cancer from smoking. There are many, many other factors involved that can result in cancer growth. Bottom line is... smokers lighting up near me are removing my choice to not be exposed to a carcinogen. That is unacceptable. If someone were shooting up near me or snorting coke, I would feel bad for them, but at least I wouldn't have to partake. If smokers want to contaminate the air then they can do it from the comfort of their own homes.

  10. #200
    Defender of the Faith
    ludahai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Taichung, Taiwan - 2017 East Asian Games Candidate City
    Last Seen
    07-03-13 @ 02:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    10,320

    Re: Smokers Beware! Proposed New York City Smoking Ban Targets Outdoor Facilities

    Quote Originally Posted by Kal'Stang View Post
    See, even you admit that bicycle riders are at fault. IE they put other people in danger also...by getting in their way. IE invading their space. You think they choose to be put into danger by bicycle riders? This can be said for any activity that is even slightly dangerous. And that is not what you are getting. There are over 6+ billion people on this planet, do you really expect your space to not intersect in some dangerous way with someone elses at any point?
    You are intentionally misreading my words. If everyone follows the rules of the road, everyone can operate them safely. I am put in danger on my bicycle NOT because I don't follow the rules of the road, but because OTHERS don't follow the rules of the road. Fortunately, as I am a very good rider and very conscious of my environment and those around me, my impact on the rights of others is minimal as is the 'danger' I put myself in. BTW, any time you cross a street, you put yourself in danger from those who may violate the law and not yield at a crosswalk. Does that mean you should not cross the street?

    BTW, Cigarettes by themselves do not cause cancer. There has to be a predisposition for that cancer already in existence. Normally genetic. Otherwise there would not be people that smoke 2-3 packs a day for 80+ years and never get cancer.
    But it most certainly increases the risk, just as my getting regular exercise REDUCES the risk that I will develop many medical problems as I get older compared to sedentary obese people.

    As far as the arsenic and such, just like any other poison you can take it in very small doses. As you do you build up an immunity to it.
    You do not build up an immunity to the cancer causing agents in cigarettes...
    Semper Paratus
    Boston = City of Champions: Bruins 2011; Celtics 2008; Red Sox 2004, 2007; Patriots 2002, 2004, 2005
    Jon Huntsman for President

Page 20 of 44 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •