Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 63

Thread: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

  1. #31
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    I'm speechless...I feel there should be no price on life.
    Were you unaware of the millions of people around the world who die because they can't afford the costs of the basic medical care or clean drinking water? Resource distribution is a zero-sum game. That nice computer you are typing is probably worth enough money to save a dozen lives in Somali. Ultimately, you do have to decide how much a human life is worth one way or another. I frankly find it a lot easier to justify not paying tens of thousands of dollars to get a few extra-months of pain-wracked existence for someone who has lived a long life than it is to not pay one hundred to save a kids life just because they were born in the wrong country.

  2. #32
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Soviet Technate
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    359

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    There has to be a price on life, because you can't spend an infinite amount of money on one person. Resources are limited and the efficiency of spending must be a priority. It's a waste of resources to keep 1 person alive for ten extra minutes when that same amount of money can do far more good elsewhere. The only way that a life can be of infinite value and have no price is if resources are post-scarce. And that's not going to happen.

  3. #33
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-25-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Were you unaware of the millions of people around the world who die because they can't afford the costs of the basic medical care or clean drinking water? Resource distribution is a zero-sum game. That nice computer you are typing is probably worth enough money to save a dozen lives in Somali. Ultimately, you do have to decide how much a human life is worth one way or another. I frankly find it a lot easier to justify not paying tens of thousands of dollars to get a few extra-months of pain-wracked existence for someone who has lived a long life than it is to not pay one hundred to save a kids life just because they were born in the wrong country.
    I am very aware of the millions in other countries that die because they don't have the money. I was referring to the United States. I can see you are very passionate about your stance on this. So we will leave it at that.

  4. #34
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    I am very aware of the millions in other countries that die because they don't have the money. I was referring to the United States. I can see you are very passionate about your stance on this. So we will leave it at that.
    Not really. I just hate the absurd fantasy that "there is no price on life". Especially when you we have life insurance companies who do exactly that.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:21 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,432

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    Instead of having a group of people decide who will get to live or die, gawd that is a horrible thought, why doesn't the government put a cap on what a person can sue a doctor, make insurance companies non-profit, stop allowing illegals to receive free health care, and loosen the rules allowing nurses and aides to provide some of the simple services? This would decrease costs and not turn into a hitler nation where a group of people get to say I'm not going to extend your life because I want to pay some teacher a better salary. The thought is just sickening, reminds me of a court deciding if a person should get the death penalty and these people haven't done a crime but setenced to die.
    If I lose my leg to an incompetent doctor amputating the wrong leg off, their should be no limit to how much I can sue the moron for

    If the doctor does a compentent job, but for some reason the treatment does not go well I should not be able to sue and win
    Happy Hanukkah Cheerfull Kwanzaa
    Happy Christmas Merry New Year Festivus for the rest of us

  6. #36
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-25-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    Not really. I just hate the absurd fantasy that "there is no price on life". Especially when you we have life insurance companies who do exactly that.
    Hate is pretty strong word for someone else's absurd fantasy. I agree with you on the insurance companies and it should be a crime imo.

  7. #37
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    09-25-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    22

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tammerlain View Post
    If I lose my leg to an incompetent doctor amputating the wrong leg off, their should be no limit to how much I can sue the moron for

    If the doctor does a compentent job, but for some reason the treatment does not go well I should not be able to sue and win
    Personally I would rather have a limit on suit and live without legs if I knew the money would save someone else's life.

  8. #38
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    There are Doctor Death Panels. There are Insurance Company Death Panels. UHC will change nothing.
    Indeed. I don't quite understand why people think it's better for death panels to be completely closed off from public review, without any public transparency rather then having public input and oversight. Really, sunlight is the best disinfectant and people like Zimmer are arguing for no sunlight. Do we want to know how these decisions are being made? Absolutely. Well, that goes for me. I don't think having life and death decisions made in some back office of an insurance agency who fights tooth and nail to prevent you from knowing anything is a good idea. Maybe some people do?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #39
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    I'm speechless...I feel there should be no price on life.
    If life is priceless then things like cars should be banned because they're dangerous. Of course it would harm the economy but that's OK because life is pricelless, right? But wait, the negative impact on the economy would have a negative impact on health and longevity. In reality, life does have a price.
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  10. #40
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    Re: Bill Kevorkian Gates on Death Panels

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
    I agree with you on the insurance companies and it should be a crime imo.
    You want life insurance to be illegal?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •