Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 60

Thread: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    I don't think doctors should be monitored either. If a doctor's script writing is monitored then he will be less likely to prescribe certain drugs, in order to remain off the radar. In the end that only hurts the patient. It wouldn't happen anyway because that would put negative pressure on drug sales, and the pharmaceutical industry would step in to make sure it gets stopped. That's why the Sherrifs propose monitoring individual users, instead of examining the entire drug chain from manufacturing to dispensing; it is the patient/user who has the least amount of power to do anything about it so they will suffer the privacy invasion first.

    IMO the entire pharmaceutical drug system needs to be re-evaluated from the ground up. Abuse of the narcotics is just a symptom of a bigger problem. There are few genuine cases where someone needs to be on high level pain killers, sleep aids, etc. for the long-term, and there are many, many complementary therapies available to deal with pain. The fact that I can visit my MD today and make up some story about pain or trouble sleeping and get a fairly dangerous narcotic within minutes is rather disturbing. People who come in with those complaints should receive testing and evaluation.

    Years ago I was in a car accident and in the year that followed I had severe back pain. My family doctor pushed pain killers immediately, saying it was a soft tissue injury. I had to push him to order x-rays. He did, and nothing came back as being broken, according to him. I later went to another MD for a second opinion -- again, pain killers were pushed. It took three years and some digging before I figured out that maybe something called a chiropractor could help me. Turns out my spine was severely misaligned in one place, and he fixed the problem with a few weeks of manual manipulation.

    I am frustrated with MDs. They are increasingly being trained to not actively seek solutions, but to be salespeople for narcotics. Where is the real healing in that?

  2. #22
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    Good Idea. Maybe that way they can convince those in terrible pain to change to medical hemp, much more effective than any other painkiller and less habit forming.

    ricksfolly

  3. #23
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I don't think doctors should be monitored either. If a doctor's script writing is monitored then he will be less likely to prescribe certain drugs, in order to remain off the radar. In the end that only hurts the patient. It wouldn't happen anyway because that would put negative pressure on drug sales, and the pharmaceutical industry would step in to make sure it gets stopped. That's why the Sherrifs propose monitoring individual users, instead of examining the entire drug chain from manufacturing to dispensing; it is the patient/user who has the least amount of power to do anything about it so they will suffer the privacy invasion first.

    IMO the entire pharmaceutical drug system needs to be re-evaluated from the ground up. Abuse of the narcotics is just a symptom of a bigger problem. There are few genuine cases where someone needs to be on high level pain killers, sleep aids, etc. for the long-term, and there are many, many complementary therapies available to deal with pain. The fact that I can visit my MD today and make up some story about pain or trouble sleeping and get a fairly dangerous narcotic within minutes is rather disturbing. People who come in with those complaints should receive testing and evaluation.

    Years ago I was in a car accident and in the year that followed I had severe back pain. My family doctor pushed pain killers immediately, saying it was a soft tissue injury. I had to push him to order x-rays. He did, and nothing came back as being broken, according to him. I later went to another MD for a second opinion -- again, pain killers were pushed. It took three years and some digging before I figured out that maybe something called a chiropractor could help me. Turns out my spine was severely misaligned in one place, and he fixed the problem with a few weeks of manual manipulation.

    I am frustrated with MDs. They are increasingly being trained to not actively seek solutions, but to be salespeople for narcotics. Where is the real healing in that?
    I don't think I can thank you enough for this post.....

    When I got my vascectomy last year, I was given a script for a bottle of Hydrocodone or something like that with like 40 pills in it, and two refills? Seriously? The original bottle is still sitting in my cabinet with only about 3 missing. I took them for the first day and then took regular OTC pain killers the next two days... as needed (maybe one/two dosages per day).

    I don't even want to mention the stockpile I was given last september when I had my gallbladder taken out.....I got three different narcotic pain relievers, all with refills. They gave me these Vicodin where it recommended taking two at once..... Ugh.... I still have all that **** up there too.
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  4. #24
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    I don't think I can thank you enough for this post.....

    When I got my vascectomy last year, I was given a script for a bottle of Hydrocodone or something like that with like 40 pills in it, and two refills? Seriously? The original bottle is still sitting in my cabinet with only about 3 missing. I took them for the first day and then took regular OTC pain killers the next two days... as needed (maybe one/two dosages per day).

    I don't even want to mention the stockpile I was given last september when I had my gallbladder taken out.....I got three different narcotic pain relievers, all with refills. They gave me these Vicodin where it recommended taking two at once..... Ugh.... I still have all that **** up there too.
    My husband's in that pot - he had bottles and bottles of pills - a bunch of them - that he's been prescribed and never actually used.

    Recently my state had a pill-drop - monitored collection boxes were set up and the # of pills that people dropped off to be collected and properly discarded was ridiculous.

    Made me wonder just how much money was tossed away - insurance and out of pocket alike, if we don't use that many then we're very *very* wasteful of something that so many people could only dream of affording.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #25
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    My husband's in that pot - he had bottles and bottles of pills - a bunch of them - that he's been prescribed and never actually used.

    Recently my state had a pill-drop - monitored collection boxes were set up and the # of pills that people dropped off to be collected and properly discarded was ridiculous.

    Made me wonder just how much money was tossed away - insurance and out of pocket alike, if we don't use that many then we're very *very* wasteful of something that so many people could only dream of affording.
    But hey.... the pharmaceutical companies got theirs..... thats the important part.
    ....

    Right?

    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  6. #26
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    But hey.... the pharmaceutical companies got theirs..... thats the important part.
    ....

    Right?

    Yeah apparently.

    Stupid, hunh?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #27
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    The only way they should have access is if they have a warrant. Personally I do not think there should be a data base mostly for the fact others could misuse or look into private information that they have no business looking into.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #28
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    The only way they should have access is if they have a warrant. Personally I do not think there should be a data base mostly for the fact others could misuse or look into private information that they have no business looking into.
    How can this information be misused?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

  9. #29
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    How can this information be misused?
    I can see a scenario where an employer would be able to gain access to the database and use it to make hiring and firing decisions.

  10. #30
    Sage
    Caine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-05-17 @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,336

    Re: Sheriffs Want Access to Prescription Database

    Quote Originally Posted by Coronado View Post
    I can see a scenario where an employer would be able to gain access to the database and use it to make hiring and firing decisions.
    And, since this already exists, this can already occurr.

    What aspect of giving Law Enforcement access to it changes this?
    "I condemn the ideology of White Supremacy and Nazism. They are thugs, criminals, and repugnant, and are against what I believe to be "The American Way" "
    Thus my obligatory condemnation of White supremacy will now be in every post, lest I be accused of supporting it because I didn't mention it specifically every time I post.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •