Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 104

Thread: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

  1. #71
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Still waiting for you to explain why the Federal govt. has any responsibility for state education issues? Do you believe in state's rights at all?

    By the way, the evidence is only in your mind because that is what you want to believe.
    I don't have to explain that. I have only claimed jobs were saved and I supported that. Don't try to divert here like you're doing elsewhere. You're free to say, "yes, they saved jobs, but they shouldn't have." Do that, and we'll have a different conversation.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #72
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I don't have to explain that. I have only claimed jobs were saved and I supported that. Don't try to divert here like you're doing elsewhere. You're free to say, "yes, they saved jobs, but they shouldn't have." Do that, and we'll have a different conversation.
    Can't find that on the bls website, please show me that line item. What I do see is unemployment higher every month this year vs. last year and that is after spending the stimulus money. There is absolutely no proof that the states wouldn't have spent the money to save teachers' jobs. Obama gave a handout to the unions.

  3. #73
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Can't find that on the bls website, please show me that line item. What I do see is unemployment higher every month this year vs. last year and that is after spending the stimulus money. There is absolutely no proof that the states wouldn't have spent the money to save teachers' jobs. Obama gave a handout to the unions.
    Again that is not evidence showing jobs were not saved. If we would have lost 20,000 jobs with out the stimulus and lost 15,000, then jobbs would have been saved. That doesn't mean we went up, or that jobs weren't lost, only that some jobs were saved.

    Are you being deliberately ignorant? Pretending not to understand the point?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #74
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again that is not evidence showing jobs were not saved. If we would have lost 20,000 jobs with out the stimulus and lost 15,000, then jobbs would have been saved. That doesn't mean we went up, or that jobs weren't lost, only that some jobs were saved.

    Are you being deliberately ignorant? Pretending not to understand the point?
    Yep, deliberately ignorant, I don't buy yours or any other liberals' rhetoric. Show me the facts, and no matter how you spin it claiming that the economy would be worse without the stimulus isn't a strong argument since the economy is terrible now. Higher unemployment every month this year vs. last yet you claim things would have been worse? Not much of an argument with a record number of people out of work.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yep, deliberately ignorant, I don't buy yours or any other liberals' rhetoric. Show me the facts, and no matter how you spin it claiming that the economy would be worse without the stimulus isn't a strong argument since the economy is terrible now. Higher unemployment every month this year vs. last yet you claim things would have been worse? Not much of an argument with a record number of people out of work.
    I have showed you the facts. And not being worse is better than being worse. Not hard to follow if you want to follow it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I have showed you the facts. And not being worse is better than being worse. Not hard to follow if you want to follow it.
    LOL, claiming that things would have been worse is irrelevant because one you cannot prove it and second, your claims don't matter because things would have been worse than what, what they are now? Record unemployment, record deficits, and a 1.6% economic growth?

  7. #77
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I don't buy the claim that we would be in a depression today.
    Based on anything other than faithful conveinence?

    Some of the banks that took TARP money did so under Govt. pressure and all that money has been paid back except of cource for Freddie and Fannie. The banks came up with the money to pay back the loans and the banks would have come up with the money to prevent failure.
    So it all would have just stopped following Lehman :roll Do you truly understand the state of the global financial system during that particular time?

    Our economy wasn't established under the principles that if you fail you get bailed out.
    Never said it was. But the actions of a select few cannot be allowed to spillover onto the lives of productive responsible citizens and firms. As stated before, this will negatively impact risk taking behavior (vital to a market economy) in the long run.

    The problem I have with the tax policies include the fact that we have 47% of the people not paying any Federal Income taxes and supporting politicians that have no problem raising those taxes on the 53% that do. The right economic policy is a flat tax and cutting Federal spending. Everyone pays something and the govt. cuts their massive appetite for power through fiscal responsibility.
    Conservative, can you come up with anything more thannormative rants when engaging in these discussion?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #78
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, claiming that things would have been worse is irrelevant because one you cannot prove it and second, your claims don't matter because things would have been worse than what, what they are now? Record unemployment, record deficits, and a 1.6% economic growth?
    What happens when credit spreads reach historic levels?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #79
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    What happens when credit spreads reach historic levels?
    there will be business failures when credit spreads reach historical levels, the free market will handle the problem. Failure occurs and someone steps in to take over the businesses.

  10. #80
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Estimates Say Fewer Jobs, Larger Deficits if Republicans Were in Charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, claiming that things would have been worse is irrelevant because one you cannot prove it and second, your claims don't matter because things would have been worse than what, what they are now? Record unemployment, record deficits, and a 1.6% economic growth?
    But I have proven it in education. Absolutely.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •