Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: Texas fights global-warming power grab

  1. #21
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Yes, you are so right. There is no political gain to be made by liberal/progressive politicians who need "Science" to back their power grabs.

    They do no alone finance government research grants. Nor do they control results. Nor do only they approve such programs. Again, when you make the error you just made, it presents a false view of the situation. Government is not run just by liberal demons, but also by conservatives. Remember, it hasn't been too many years since republicans ran both congress and the presidency here.

    And remember, that republican control tried to silence science to the contrary of their beliefs. Again, this shows your thesis is inaccurate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #22
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    The science debunking AGW has been presented many, many times yet the AGW folks always resort to calling it Big Oil Propaganda and dismissing those who do not believe in AGW as "Deniers". Why?
    WHAT "science" all anyone posts are cherry picked data and out and out frauds. Would love some real peer reviewed science that would stand a meta-analysis
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  3. #23
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Yes, you are so right. There is no political gain to be made by liberal/progressive politicians who need "Science" to back their power grabs.

    And this happens with EVERY scientists across all the disciplines that are involved and it happens in every country in the world.

    And there is not one group of scientists anywhere in the world able or willing to break this conspiracy?
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  4. #24
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
    WHAT "science" all anyone posts are cherry picked data and out and out frauds. Would love some real peer reviewed science that would stand a meta-analysis
    Yeah us "deniers" we just are stupid idiots easily duped by Big Oil Propaganda man, don't mind us much, we're dumb.



    There is plenty of peer reviewed science that counters AGW, but you claim there is none, why should we bother to waste space with a true believer?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Would Texas please do us all a favor and just secede, already?

  6. #26
    Professor
    bowerbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    australia
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 09:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,430

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Yeah us "deniers" we just are stupid idiots easily duped by Big Oil Propaganda man, don't mind us much, we're dumb.



    There is plenty of peer reviewed science that counters AGW, but you claim there is none, why should we bother to waste space with a true believer?
    Well in ten years of discussing this topic with denialists who ALWAYS claim to have "plenty of peer reviewed science" I have yet to see any. Well any that was not quoted out of context or cherry picked
    Greenhouse gases: Any gas that, by an accident of chemistry, happens to absorb radiation of a type that the Earth, by an accident of history, would like to lose.
    The internet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhoea -- massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind- boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.


  7. #27
    User justonemorevoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    01-11-11 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    115

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Would Texas please do us all a favor and just secede, already?
    heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! some of us are very reasonable. (and have boobs and purty tails!) :P

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Define what you would call not based on fear mongering? Al Gore isn't a scientist, so quoting him isn't science. Scientist thank him for making the issue more public, but note flaws in hispresentation. This doesn't mean there isn't a real problem and that man doesn't play a large role.
    Naturally, and even Al Gore in his latest book (unless there's a more recent one then what I'm thinking of) he's discussed how a 'science based' approach to tackling 'global warming' won't work, preferring instead 'faith based' arguments.

    When the scientific questions on which these studies are founded are asked in such a way as to frame the problem in terms of CO2's impact on the area of study... odds are the intention is to create a study that will be used to fear monger.

    To illustrate the point let's use the studies involving ocean acidification...
    It was claimed that CO2 makes the oceans more acid (when sulfur has a far greater effect on PH levels)... then the claim was made how this would kill off ocean life... then the studies are complete and what do you know, all the previous fear mongering had neglected to account for the fact that marine life has survived through millions of years of atmospheric changes and can adapt to these minute changes.... IN SPITE of the fact that to get any 'useful' results the scientists had to use tests with 2-5 TIMES the current atmospheric levels of CO2..

    Another quick illustration : If you go to a greenhouse, the CO2 levels are artificially raised to around 1000ppm of CO2 because the plants grow more efficiently with the higher levels of CO2.

    The science has been presented many, many times. And deniers often ignore it, and always go back to Gore. Why?
    Because Gore is the most vocal and noted alarmist... in spite of the fact that his film must start with a warning essentially stating 'Not a factual documentary'. The 'loose change' of the global warming.

    Now, the science itself... look at the source; the CRU. They have been caught and admitted to fudging the data, and 'lost' the raw data, among other scandals. SO... EVEN IF the science had something to it... because of the corruption of a few individuals working for the IPCC and the CRU, now DECADES of science and understanding of the environment MUST be tossed out and restarted. One rotten apple has ruined the whole batch. I'm sorry to state it like that, but that's the reality... since they have been caught in a scientific fraud ANY scientific paper with their name on it, MUST for the sake of GOOD science be tossed out and restarted. Don't blame the deniers for that, blame the beloved alarmists.

    I suggest they do because it is easier than dealing with the science. As you can find any opinion on the internet, they pick the fringe, the minioty, and try to act as if they are equal. All things are not equal aand the majority view is that GW is real and in part man made 9not wholey).
    Yes, 'in part' is the key word here... in terms of CO2, that 'in part' is equivalent to 'background noise'. How many climate scientists have refused to even add the solar energy as part of their climate equation??? I've yet to see one. Yet, it's not 'co2' levels that rise untill midday and fall through the night... it's the sun.

    So, once again, if you want to talk about REAL destruction of the environment rather then these damn fraudsters telling us that to save the world we gotta stop breathing... then we can have a conversation... untill then I'm treating GW alarmists as they are.... A JOKE.

  9. #29
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Soviet Technate
    Last Seen
    10-25-10 @ 06:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    359

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Well, Al Gore is correct. People do not respond to arguments or empirical evidence. That's unfortunate, but a reality. You need to appeal to their emotions, because they will ignore other types of appeals. A recent study showed that warning labels are cigarette packs that focus on the objective health problems caused by tobacco smoke inhalation are not as effective as ones that appeal to the impact on somone's "personal looks or relations."

    You need to hype up a problem like global warming and make it personal because no one cares otherwise. They think in terms of anecdotes and stories, not stats.

    There is no big conspiracy to grab power. The biggest economic interests are in maintaining the status quo. You can make far more money opposing Global Warming than in supporting the concept.


    Edit: Regarding supposed fraud, all the scientists in 'climate gate" were exhonerated and no evidence of any wrongdoing was found. At this point, no one seriously doubts global average temperatures are increasing, except for a few select, and very vocal, interest groups. But these are the same groups of people who fought for decades against evidence that showed Tobacco smoke was bad for you.
    Last edited by Technocratic; 09-08-10 at 10:57 PM.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,982

    Re: Texas fights global-warming power grab

    Thank you Texas. I hope they are victorious and can defeat the EPA. The EPA is acting very shady and sleazy with their illegal attempt and seizing more power.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •