Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 175

Thread: Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as gay

  1. #141
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    BooYAH!! Thank you so much! I looked and looked. I tried his name with "married", "wife", "ex-wife", "family" - nada.
    And let's note that Tex isn't back (although maybe he's done for the day, perhaps) hasn't been back to acknowledge his faux pas. Nor has a single one of the anit-gay marriage folks answered my challenge question to them.

  2. #142
    User justonemorevoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    01-11-11 @ 05:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    115

    Re: Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    And let's note that Tex isn't back (although maybe he's done for the day, perhaps) hasn't been back to acknowledge his faux pas. Nor has a single one of the anit-gay marriage folks answered my challenge question to them.
    surely you dont expect an answer? lol. good luck.

  3. #143
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Thanks, I suppose - but what I would have preferred is that you used empathy to simply try to understand the argument from another point of view.

    You say you feel frustrated by this argument; but I'm trying to get you to imagine living a life where you're told that you're relationship isn't worth the same.

    If you had two brothers - one straight, one gay - how would you tell your gay brother that you value his relationship less than your straight brother's? And how would you imagine he would take that? Could you imagine trying to hear that from someone?
    I dont need your silly bull**** examples designed to try and pull on heart strings. I would deal with them the way I deal with my sisters in law...all of them...one of which happens to be in a committed lesbian relationship (and one who happens to be in a heterosexual relationship with an asshole) or any of my associates. I love them. Care about them. But I believe the act is wrong. Devalue their relationship? Of course not...but then...its not my place or society's place to assign value. Value comes from inside. It doesnt MATTER to them nor should it that 'I' disagree with it. And frankly...if they disagree with that or have a problem with respecting MY position that is THEIR problem and I wont allow it to impact how 'I' choose to treat them. Keep your hypotheticals.

  4. #144
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont need your silly bull**** examples designed to try and pull on heart strings. I would deal with them the way I deal with my sisters in law...all of them...one of which happens to be in a committed lesbian relationship (and one who happens to be in a heterosexual relationship with an asshole) or any of my associates. I love them. Care about them. But I believe the act is wrong. Devalue their relationship? Of course not...but then...its not my place or society's place to assign value. Value comes from inside. It doesnt MATTER to them nor should it that 'I' disagree with it. And frankly...if they disagree with that or have a problem with respecting MY position that is THEIR problem and I wont allow it to impact how 'I' choose to treat them. Keep your hypotheticals.
    So you don't believe that society telling your sister and her partner that their relationship is less than yours is bigoted?

    Because, I'm sorry, I think it is.

  5. #145
    Guru
    Mustachio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,588

    Re: Bush-Cheney campaign manager, ex-chairman of Republican Party set to come out as

    Quote Originally Posted by texmaster View Post
    #1 Gay marriage has nothing to do with civil rights. Civil rights are based on race and gender. Never has your side proved homosexuality is gentic as gender and race are.
    Gay marriage has nothing to do with civil rights? BS. Civil rights are about protecting individual liberty. Courts have ruled time and time again that sexual orientation cannot be used as grounds for discrimination. You may not like it, you may not agree with it, but dismissing it based on a religious belief is plainly un-American. We don't base our laws on faith. We base our laws on logic. And logic tells us that even if we cannot pinpoint how or why an individual is gay, that individual is powerless to alter their preferences.
    A working class hero is something to be

  6. #146
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    So you don't believe that society telling your sister and her partner that their relationship is less than yours is bigoted?

    Because, I'm sorry, I think it is.
    No...and obviously we disagree on this.

  7. #147
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...and obviously we disagree on this.
    Then I feel for your sister and her partner. I would hate it if I thought I had a sibling who didn't defend me in the face of discrimination.

  8. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Seen
    05-06-12 @ 11:12 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,800

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    No...and obviously we disagree on this.
    Because I too have a sister who is in a long-term relationship, and we have discussed how I REALLY feel about it, I know that she would be hurt if I did not wholeheartedly accept her, her partner, and their relationship as just as valid as mine was (they are still together, we are not) with my husband.

  9. #149
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    Then I feel for your sister and her partner. I would hate it if I thought I had a sibling who didn't defend me in the face of discrimination.
    I would hate it if my morals and values were dictated just because it made someone else feeeeeeeel bad.

  10. #150
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: Ken Mehlman reveals he's gay

    Quote Originally Posted by BDBoop View Post
    Because I too have a sister who is in a long-term relationship, and we have discussed how I REALLY feel about it, I know that she would be hurt if I did not wholeheartedly accept her, her partner, and their relationship as just as valid as mine was (they are still together, we are not) with my husband.
    And? Seriously...your point is? I dont disrespect your opinion that you think homosexuality is wonderful and desirable and something you want for your children.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •