Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 68

Thread: The new message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

  1. #21
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    I don't know if it ever got that high (maybe on an outlier poll), but they were certainly against it when it passed. Some polls showed a plurality in favor of it after it passed, but with big misgivings about it, and that didn't last long at all.

    Well, Queen Nancy was right -- we couldn't find out what was in it until after it passed -- and when they started to, people really turned on it.
    i very rarely see anyone articulate the reasons why they are against health care reform. at least not honestly and intelligently. the bill may have flaws, but it's a start. and the pieces that went into place almost immediately are sorely needed. you might disagree about funding, but the fact is we don't know yet how that will shake out. there is no single payer issue, what's your probelem with it? and that 70% stuff is not true.

  2. #22
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    If the insured (the child) had received treatment within the 6 months prior to the effective date of the new policy, he will be subject to a 12 month waiting period where he will not receive coverage for that specific condition (completely different then the emotional “insurance company won’t give coverage” stated on the slide) . However, that waiting period is reduced by the amount of time they were covered by the prior insurance plan (including COBRA) offered through his prior job. Consequently, if they simply had coverage for one year there will not be any waiting period applied. They are playing emotional games.

    (a) Limitation on preexisting condition exclusion period; crediting for periods of previous coverage
    Subject to subsection (d) of this section, a group health plan, and a health insurance issuer offering group health insurance coverage, may, with respect to a participant or beneficiary, impose a preexisting condition exclusion only if—
    (1) such exclusion relates to a condition (whether physical or mental), regardless of the cause of the condition, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care, or treatment was recommended or received within the 6-month period ending on the enrollment date;
    (2) such exclusion extends for a period of not more than 12 months (or 18 months in the case of a late enrollee) after the enrollment date; and

    (3) the period of any such preexisting condition exclusion is reduced by the aggregate of the periods of creditable coverage (if any, as defined in subsection (c)(1) of this section) applicable to the participant or beneficiary as of the enrollment date.
    i read it.....

    To illustrate, suppose someone enrolls in a group health plan on January 1, 2006. This person had previously been insured from January 1, 2004 until February 1, 2005 and from August 1, 2005 until December 31, 2005. To determine how much coverage can be credited against the exclusion period in the new plan, start at the enrollment date and count backwards until you reach a significant break in coverage. So, the five months of coverage between August 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005 clearly counts against the exclusion period. But the period without insurance between February 1, 2005 and August 1, 2005 is greater than 63 days. Thus, this is a significant break in coverage, and any coverage prior to it cannot be deducted from the exclusion period. So, this person could deduct five months from his or her exclusion period, reducing the exclusion period to seven months. Hence, Title I requires that any preexisting condition begin to be covered on August 1, 2006.

  3. #23
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,607

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i very rarely see anyone articulate the reasons why they are against health care reform. at least not honestly and intelligently. the bill may have flaws, but it's a start. and the pieces that went into place almost immediately are sorely needed. you might disagree about funding, but the fact is we don't know yet how that will shake out. there is no single payer issue, what's your probelem with it? and that 70% stuff is not true.
    Never said the 70% stuff was true (in fact, you quoted me as being skeptical of it), and I have no interest in debating the merits of the bill with you (as though "single payer" could be my only objection to it, anyway). It was not what I was referring to. Doesn't matter at all to anything I said.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #24
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Oh, but it was, not least because they were disgusted with the tactics being used to pass it.

    It's funny, though; when people favor Democrats, it's because they're smart and "waking up," but when they don't, it's because they're under the thrall of Republican "dirty tricks." Maybe -- just maybe -- they have minds of their own and just don't agree with you.

    In any case, my point stands -- the Democrats aren't getting the flurry of approval they expected, not by a long shot. If you have to blame boogeymen to make you feel better about it, go ahead.
    i blame misinformation, as simple as that. "the sky is falling and taxes will be raised"........that's the never ending mantra we hear. dems are certainly not perfect, but they are damn sure more interested in people than republicans are.

  5. #25
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Never said the 70% stuff was true (in fact, you quoted me as being skeptical of it), and I have no interest in debating the merits of the bill with you (as though "single payer" could be my only objection to it, anyway). It was not what I was referring to. Doesn't matter at all to anything I said.
    you're right, i posted that challenge to someone who is not up to it.

    and if you don't want to debate the merits of the bill, that's fine. neither did republicans, nor do they now.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i read it.....

    To illustrate, suppose someone enrolls in a group health plan on January 1, 2006. This person had previously been insured from January 1, 2004 until February 1, 2005 and from August 1, 2005 until December 31, 2005. To determine how much coverage can be credited against the exclusion period in the new plan, start at the enrollment date and count backwards until you reach a significant break in coverage. So, the five months of coverage between August 1, 2005 and December 31, 2005 clearly counts against the exclusion period. But the period without insurance between February 1, 2005 and August 1, 2005 is greater than 63 days. Thus, this is a significant break in coverage, and any coverage prior to it cannot be deducted from the exclusion period. So, this person could deduct five months from his or her exclusion period, reducing the exclusion period to seven months. Hence, Title I requires that any preexisting condition begin to be covered on August 1, 2006.
    You really didn't adress or contradict anything I said.

    But... if the 6 year old's asthma were covered by the employees prior insurance policy (which is implied in the story) it's very likely they had the policy long enough to have the waiting period completely waived.

  7. #27
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    You really didn't adress or contradict anything I said.

    But... if the 6 year old's asthma were covered by the employees prior insurance policy (which is implied in the story) it's very likely they had the policy long enough to have the waiting period completely waived.
    point being, it's not any issue anymore at all. no exclusion period. why is that a bad thing?

  8. #28
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    i blame misinformation, as simple as that. "the sky is falling and taxes will be raised"........that's the never ending mantra we hear. dems are certainly not perfect, but they are damn sure more interested in people than republicans are.
    There was no misinformation although maybe slight hyperbole. Taxes are going up, premiums are going up, "best practices" will end up hurting people and killing some(this is the "death panel"), IRS powers were increased and so was the Secretary of health and human services powers as well. States lost rights under this bill and things not related to health directly are being taxed. The opposition was exactly right.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #29
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    There was no misinformation although maybe slight hyperbole. Taxes are going up, premiums are going up, "best practices" will end up hurting people and killing some(this is the "death panel"), IRS powers were increased and so was the Secretary of health and human services powers as well. States lost rights under this bill and things not related to health directly are being taxed. The opposition was exactly right.
    some taxes may go up. some, and probably NOT on the masses. and you do not know that people will be hurt and be killed as a result of this bill. THAT'S hyperbole, and it's why people have turned against this bill.

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 11:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: New Dem message: 'Improve' health care, don't talk cost

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    point being, it's not any issue anymore at all. no exclusion period. why is that a bad thing?
    Because to do so they had to require everyone to purchase insruance, and have also managed to increase the cost of coverage.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •