Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 170

Thread: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

  1. #71
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    COuld it be that maybe just maybe your ever so powerful and complete 'knowledge' of the rules and laws ant UT is wrong? BTW...they ASKEd the group to go to the PUBLIC CURB 100 yards away...but that wouldnt allow him and his group to be the ever so annoying assholes they were striving to be and they refused...so...he was arrested. Because...hun...APPARENTLY there are SOME laws that you arent aware of.
    First, I'm not your 'hun'.

    Second, "laws ant UT" assumingly means, "laws at UT." Responding with that assumption, there can't be laws that infringe on one's constitutional rights to free speech and peaceful assembly in a public area.

    Third, the curb may be PUBLIC but so was the PUBLIC campus. Both spots are equal in terms of being public.

    Fortunately, there are no laws against being an asshole, the reason probably being that the term is a bit relative.

  2. #72
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    First, I'm not your 'hun'.

    Second, "laws ant UT" assumingly means, "laws at UT." Responding with that assumption, there can't be laws that infringe on one's constitutional rights to free speech and peaceful assembly in a public area.

    Third, the curb may be PUBLIC but so was the PUBLIC campus. Both spots are equal in terms of being public.

    Fortunately, there are no laws against being an asshole, the reason probably being that the term is a bit relative.
    I would say that next to the unemployed people that are some how geniuses on the economy and capitalism, and bloggers that are somehow brilliant scietinsts that know everything there is to know (or that they can read on Wikipedia) about deepwater drilling procedures, people that profess to know what is or isnt against the law are just about the funniest people I know. OBVIOUSLY...you are right and they are wrong.

    You can DISAGREE with the arrest all day long. You can believe he SHOULD have the right to be a self agrandizing asshole on any public land he chooses without fear of running afoul of the law. Believeing it to the case does not MAKE it the case.

  3. #73
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    First, I'm not your 'hun'.

    Second, "laws ant UT" assumingly means, "laws at UT." Responding with that assumption, there can't be laws that infringe on one's constitutional rights to free speech and peaceful assembly in a public area.

    Third, the curb may be PUBLIC but so was the PUBLIC campus. Both spots are equal in terms of being public.

    Fortunately, there are no laws against being an asshole, the reason probably being that the term is a bit relative.
    We really dont need to discuss your relatives. Apples...trees...and usually they fall fairly close...

  4. #74
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    yes, i was shocked, i have only being paying close attention to what happens in America since i joined this site, so get off your bloody high horse.
    No.

    This crap has been going on for years. UTHSCSA has a little 20x20 square for protesters. Yet still we have people blathering about "BUSH'S FREE SPEECH ZONES". /boggles the mind.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  5. #75
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That's true, my friend was ticketed in a state park because we were coming out after closing.
    I broke my knee on the way up and had to crab walk most of the way down, took forever.

    Some people are dickheads, still though the underlying reason is safety.
    It was in the middle of town and smaller than a square block. Crossing the street is more dangerous, and safety concern or not, it still shows that I'm allowed to get kicked off of public land.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  6. #76
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    free speech zones, ain't that a violation of your Bill of Rights?
    Welll....
    That depends on if you beleieve you have the right to express your point of view wherever and whenever you want, w/o any regulation whatsoever.

  7. #77
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,752

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    First, I'm not your 'hun'.

    Second, "laws ant UT" assumingly means, "laws at UT." Responding with that assumption, there can't be laws that infringe on one's constitutional rights to free speech and peaceful assembly in a public area.

    Third, the curb may be PUBLIC but so was the PUBLIC campus. Both spots are equal in terms of being public.

    Fortunately, there are no laws against being an asshole, the reason probably being that the term is a bit relative.
    And not that it matters...but just to ease that homophobic mind...I wasnt calling you 'hun' I was saying 'huh'...my finger must have been slightly off target and just like ANT is OBVIOSLY AT, HUN is OBVIOUSLY HUH...but geez...I'm guessing winking at you and sending you a drink at a bar would send you into a tizzy...

    This story obviously has worn at the tires on the original wheels AND the recaps. Its one the ing to disagree with things like free speech zones. Kisten...by all means...start a thread, hell start a movement to discuss banning such practices. Its another thing entirely to pretend that you understand the rules and laws of free speech and public institutions. You cant block a street in protest while you are demonstrating your free speech. You cant obstruct citiznes as they walk nor create a public nuisance. You have to file for permits to hold organized assemblies. Thos are just realities, realities made necessary by assholes who feel like they dont HAVE to follow the rules and laws, then claim their own rights are violated when they are arrested for violating those same rules and laws.

  8. #78
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,709

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    The funny or sad thing about "free speech zones" is that a lot of colleges are adopting the idea for on campus speech.

    Messed up world we have evolved into.
    Colleges had done this long before the 1960s and hence why the protest movement in Berkeley was not so clear-cut.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  9. #79
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    No.

    This crap has been going on for years. UTHSCSA has a little 20x20 square for protesters. Yet still we have people blathering about "BUSH'S FREE SPEECH ZONES". /boggles the mind.
    i never said they were set up by Bush, none of my posts mentioned Bush, i think you may be confusing me with Dana, here, let me show you.

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You know, I saw a lot of people supporting the arrests of Liberals after George Bush created the concept of free speech zones. Where was the outcry from them then?

    Free speech zones were anti free speech then, and they are anti free speech now. Obama, for all his talk, looks a lot like George Bush.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  10. #80
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    his right to free speech does not trump the property owner's right to determine what activities do or do not occur on its property

    which is why he was arrested for trespassing

    he possesses the right of free speech
    he possesses the right to assemble
    but not if the property owner where he plans to present his speech or create an assembly says otherwise
    You would have a point if this was private property, it is not, this is a public University funded primarily through taxpayer dollars.

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •