Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 170

Thread: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Dont BELIEVE in them or disagree with HAVING them? Night and day two different things. One is a platform position you could even work on to change...one is an expression of complete disconnection with anything resembling this little thing we call 'reality'.
    We only need one law actually (well a system of tort law as well) and that law would be the non-aggression principle, and we only need one right, the right to self ownership.

  2. #132
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    Just saw this... Seems pretty ridiculous. Any more information or thoughts on this?
    YouTube - John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin
    Who the hell is John Bush?

    A University has the right to tell people where they can demonstrate.

    Sorry, John, public safety trumps your right to assemble wherever you damn well please.

  3. #133
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,687

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    Yes, but when you disagree with as much or more as you agree with, does it really make sense for you to say you're still part of that party?
    Or both. There's that whole creation and evolution patchwork quilt idea too.
    I know what you've said. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that you agree with it, no?
    Define a few? I don't think you are mindless; but I don't think I'm mindless either.
    Go to whatever election party you'd like too, although I'm curious as to which one YOU would decide to go to.
    No need to get huffy and defensive. I really just don't understand why you affiliate yourself with the libertarians... Perhaps you could summarize your beliefs as I summarized mine earlier? Maybe that will clear things up. I'm more confused than angry etc. I hope I'm not offending you.
    I dont think I have ever been 'offended' by online blogs. Annoyed at times...sure...and really...not now...nor by you. its fine.

    I have said probably half a dozen times now...it doesnt MATTER what OPINION is regarding the OP. Think about it for a second. I have said a few hundred posts ago and on several occasions that all that assclown had to do was take his merry band of jackasses a 100 yards to the public sidewalk as they were asked (very politely I might add) and none of this would have been an issue. But thats the point...he WANTED it to be an issue. Notice...none of the other clowns followed his lead and got arrested. Just him. Aint 'civil disobedience' a fun thing. And waving the 'press pass' like he was acting in the capacity of a member of the press...priceless.

    SO for the record. I think he is an asshole. A smarmy little asshole. Do I believe in peoples right to free speech? Sure...absolutely. Just follow a few basic rules. I also believe the UT has a right to enforce their rules (and I think people that cling to this idiotic notion that the UT is a 'public' institution and therefore THEIRS to do whatever they want, whenever, and however they want are either intentionally foolish or simply that badly deluded and probably dont have as firm a grasp on the law and constitution as they like to think they have).

    With regard to the libertarian party...this comes up every time someone brings up the whole "what is a 'real' libertarian argument. Ive told you why I take the libertarian position. I am for individial, state, and federal rights, in that order. I believe we need SOME government...just responsible government. I believe we need a fiscally responsible government.

    But I am not for anarchy and like it or not...when you take a position in opposition to the law you will be punished. Try going 105 on the highway at 3 am...see if you dont get a ticket. Now try to go to court and fight it by saying its your right to go 105 provided you dont hurt anyone. Good luck with that. then post your hatred for the nazi police force for ticketing you and the communist regime that dared enforce the law.

    I say again...ask yourself WHY the Libertarian party has NO ELECTED REPRESENTATION. When is a party not a Party?

  4. #134
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont think I have ever been 'offended' by online blogs. Annoyed at times...sure...and really...not now...nor by you. its fine.

    I have said probably half a dozen times now...it doesnt MATTER what OPINION is regarding the OP. Think about it for a second. I have said a few hundred posts ago and on several occasions that all that assclown had to do was take his merry band of jackasses a 100 yards to the public sidewalk as they were asked (very politely I might add) and none of this would have been an issue. But thats the point...he WANTED it to be an issue. Notice...none of the other clowns followed his lead and got arrested. Just him. Aint 'civil disobedience' a fun thing. And waving the 'press pass' like he was acting in the capacity of a member of the press...priceless.

    SO for the record. I think he is an asshole. A smarmy little asshole. Do I believe in peoples right to free speech? Sure...absolutely. Just follow a few basic rules. I also believe the UT has a right to enforce their rules (and I think people that cling to this idiotic notion that the UT is a 'public' institution and therefore THEIRS to do whatever they want, whenever, and however they want are either intentionally foolish or simply that badly deluded and probably dont have as firm a grasp on the law and constitution as they like to think they have).

    With regard to the libertarian party...this comes up every time someone brings up the whole "what is a 'real' libertarian argument. Ive told you why I take the libertarian position. I am for individial, state, and federal rights, in that order. I believe we need SOME government...just responsible government. I believe we need a fiscally responsible government.

    But I am not for anarchy and like it or not...when you take a position in opposition to the law you will be punished. Try going 105 on the highway at 3 am...see if you dont get a ticket. Now try to go to court and fight it by saying its your right to go 105 provided you dont hurt anyone. Good luck with that. then post your hatred for the nazi police force for ticketing you and the communist regime that dared enforce the law.

    I say again...ask yourself WHY the Libertarian party has NO ELECTED REPRESENTATION. When is a party not a Party?
    I don't think any intelligent libertarian would argue for your right to drive 105 mph, because it has a significant chance of infringing on another's life and liberty.

  5. #135
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,687

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    We only need one law actually (well a system of tort law as well) and that law would be the non-aggression principle, and we only need one right, the right to self ownership.
    ummm...thats two laws...(well..three actually)...

    and all of that presupposes that everyone is willing to follow those very basic and simple laws. How you seein that working out?

    and someone 'owns' you? Who 'owns' public land? And what IS public land after all?
    Last edited by VanceMack; 08-17-10 at 07:09 PM.

  6. #136
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,687

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    I don't think any intelligent libertarian would argue for your right to drive 105 mph, because it has a significant chance of infringing on another's life and liberty.
    Really? How so? They do it on thew autobahn all the time...and at 3 am? No traffic? And you can be ticketed based on the POTENTIAL to violate someone elses rights/ So there ARE laws that people have to follow that others might view as an infringement on their rights that you find acceptable?

    I ask yet AGAIN... why do all you 'real' libertarians think the Libertarian party has NO ELECTED REPRESENTATION. When is a party not a Party?

  7. #137
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    Really? Who?
    The government of TX
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  8. #138
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You know, I saw a lot of people supporting the arrests of Liberals after George Bush created the concept of free speech zones. Where was the outcry from them then?

    Free speech zones were anti free speech then, and they are anti free speech now. Obama, for all his talk, looks a lot like George Bush.
    I have to agree. Free speech zones shouldn't be allowed to exist. I shouldn't have to stand in a pen to voice dissent.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  9. #139
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Really? How so? They do it on thew autobahn all the time...and at 3 am? No traffic? And you can be ticketed based on the POTENTIAL to violate someone elses rights/ So there ARE laws that people have to follow that others might view as an infringement on their rights that you find acceptable?

    I ask yet AGAIN... why do all you 'real' libertarians think the Libertarian party has NO ELECTED REPRESENTATION. When is a party not a Party?
    I don't see a distinction between "real" libertarians and other libertarians. It's pretty close to a black-white thing. I do believe there should be laws on dangerous acts that have risks due to human error or otherwise that have a potential harm others.

    I can't speak with regards to the Autobahn. I've never driven it or even seen it. It may well be safe to drive at such speeds, I simply don't know.

    Assuming you're addressing me as a 'real' libertarian, probably similar to the reasons why gays don't have the right to marry--misconceptions and bigotry.

  10. #140
    Student prrriiide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knoxvega$, TN
    Last Seen
    05-24-12 @ 05:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    202

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    people that profess to know what is or isnt against the law are just about the funniest people I know. OBVIOUSLY...you are right and they are wrong.

    You can DISAGREE with the arrest all day long. You can believe he SHOULD have the right to be a self agrandizing asshole on any public land he chooses without fear of running afoul of the law. Believeing it to the case does not MAKE it the case.
    Laugh away, even though you are absolutely correct according to black-letter law in the State of Texas:

    Sec. 51.209. UNAUTHORIZED PERSONS; REFUSAL OF ENTRY, EJECTION, IDENTIFICATION. The governing board of a state institution of higher education or its authorized representatives may refuse to allow persons having no legitimate business to enter on property under the board's control, and may eject any undesirable person from the property on his refusal to leave peaceably on request. Identification may be required of any person on the property.
    Acts 1971, 62nd Leg., p. 3072, ch. 1024, art. 1, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1971.
    Texas Statutes

    Also note the effective date of the law: 9/1/1971 - it has nothing to do with free speech zones. It's the law in Texas (and has been for 2 generations) that if the governing board (or their representative - in this case, UTPD) asks you to leave, you have to leave. Period. I know of no jurisdiction in the country that would consider a political protest for which no permit has been issued to be "legitimate business."

    It doesn't matter if you are praying to Thor in the middle of a grassy area with no one else around you. It doesn't matter if you are "exercising your right to free speech." It doesn't matter if you are there gathering information as a journalist. If they ask you to leave and you refuse, you are subject to arrest and prosecution under Title 3, Ch. 51. If you feel that your removal was a violation of your rights, then your recourse is to pursue the matter in civil court. However, as Plaintiff, the burden of proof is on you, not the University as Respondent. The burden of proof in such a case would be a pretty high bar to clear.
    Tax & Spend > Borrow & Spend. But it seems that now we must tax and NOT spend.

    I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •