Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 170

Thread: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

  1. #121
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    go to dictionary.com and look it up:

    to make that statement, one can only conclude that you believe all political affiliations require monolithic belief; that all adherents think in rigid unison, that there is no room for one to identify with a particular political flavor without subscribing to all things that party advocates. yes, that ignorant notion
    and yet you questioned why he would hold that out as his political identifier. you confuse my "observation" with your "ignorant notion"
    yet you challenge one who does use that political label while also being "at odds with libertarians fairly often"
    no way one would think that since you only questioned why a forum member would indicate they possess a libertarian political lean after being "at odds with libertarians fairly often" [/sarcasm]
    as you can see above, i have used your own words to hi-lite why i came to conclude your insistence that one cannot legitimately identify himself as having a libertarian political lean while they are "at odds with libertarians fairly often" should be found to be an ignorant notion
    So your saying if you usually or often don't agree with one set of beliefs, then you can still be a believer in those same beliefs? Color me confused.

    It sounds like he doesn't identify with a lot of beliefs in all the parties and that he's rather sprinkled throughout. If that were the case for myself, I would call myself an independent. However, >95% of the time I have libertarian justifications for my beliefs.
    Last edited by Rightwingnutjob; 08-17-10 at 01:54 PM.

  2. #122
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    I don't really think I'm a 100% bound to any platform, but feel I identify most with the libertarian party. My beliefs are simple and can be summed up as follows: Everyone should have the right to do whatever the hell they want so long as they don't infringe on another's life, liberty or property. Sure there's details that define certain words in the phrase, but that's the best summary I can give.

    I didn't mean it to be an insult when I said said maybe you didn't identify with the libertarian party that much and maybe you were a moderate libertarian. Sorry if that was misunderstood. Certainly seemed to whistle through Bubba's ears, anyway.
    I wasnt at all insulted. I meant what I said...I take that as a compliment. I (pity isnt the right word...loathe is too harsh...but somewhere in between there...insert here) ANYONE that is so beholden to a political ideology they lack the ability to think for themselves.

    I agree pretty much with the whole whatever whenever thing provided that the WHEREever is on my own private property. And Ive said...Im even fine with the disagreeing with the arrest or considering it an unlawful abridgement of his rights. But just because you THINk it should be legal doesnt MAKE it legal. And thats what this comes down to.

  3. #123
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    See this is where my, "infringes on another's life, liberty, or property," clause comes in.
    Fine...and APPARENTLY...whether people like it or not...the law is such that Jebbie Bush violated that principle.

    Saying UT is a 'public' institution and therefore people can do whatever they like wherever and however is just simple minded. They have entry requirements. They charge tuition. They have rules and laws. Sorry...but thats the reality.

  4. #124
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    So your saying if you usually or often don't agree with one set of beliefs, then you can still be a believer in those same beliefs? Color me confused.

    It sounds like he doesn't identify with a lot of beliefs in all the parties and that he's rather sprinkled throughout. If that were the case for myself, I would call myself an independent. However, >95% of the time I have libertarian justifications for my beliefs.
    I dont believe in legalizing drugs. I believe in removing the federal restrictions on drugs and allowing the states to create laws (as well as pay for the consequences of those laws). To me that is a much more tenable position for the Libertarian Party to take.

    I dont believe you can say whatever you want wherver and however. I believe you have to follow the laws...even if you dont agree with them...or face consequences and thats fine if tyou are willing to face those consequences). How is that anti-libertarian?

    So basically...because I disagree with you and the REAL rightwing nut job that UT is owned by the people and people can say whatever whenever and however...because I DISAGREE with you...that makes me NOT a Libertarian. Gooooooooood Lord.

  5. #125
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    All public housing in the U.S. comes in the form of government subsidization for the purchase or lease of private homes and/or apartments.
    I don't believe in a public military, I think security and defense should be privatized. But obviously under the current system security concerns exist for military installations that do not for public universities.
    Yes you would be arrested but again I don't believe in public schools either, but since they are public they should be open to the public to use the facilities; such as, gyms and basketball courts etc. And if they aren't disrupting classes then I see no problem whatsoever, with political speech on highschool campuses.
    Dont BELIEVE in them or disagree with HAVING them? Night and day two different things. One is a platform position you could even work on to change...one is an expression of complete disconnection with anything resembling this little thing we call 'reality'.

  6. #126
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    I dont believe in legalizing drugs. I believe in removing the federal restrictions on drugs and allowing the states to create laws (as well as pay for the consequences of those laws). To me that is a much more tenable position for the Libertarian Party to take.

    I dont believe you can say whatever you want wherver and however. I believe you have to follow the laws...even if you dont agree with them...or face consequences and thats fine if tyou are willing to face those consequences). How is that anti-libertarian?

    So basically...because I disagree with you and the REAL rightwing nut job that UT is owned by the people and people can say whatever whenever and however...because I DISAGREE with you...that makes me NOT a Libertarian. Gooooooooood Lord.
    No, your disagreement with me is NOT what makes you a non-libertarian, it's that you agree with laws that infringe on the first ammendment, that you disagree with the libertarian platform. You can't re-write the platform to make it fit you (you've established that the platform is something you think is too extreme and not something you agree with). I once considered myself a conservative, but I don't identify with a lot of the conservative 'social' ideas, and therefor decided that I was more libertarian.

    I dont believe you can say whatever you want wherver and however. I believe you have to follow the laws...even if you dont agree with them...or face consequences and thats fine if tyou are willing to face those consequences). How is that anti-libertarian?
    You really don't have much choice but to follow the laws. I had and still do have the impression that you agree with laws abridgining free speech.

    I dont believe in legalizing drugs. I believe in removing the federal restrictions on drugs and allowing the states to create laws (as well as pay for the consequences of those laws). To me that is a much more tenable position for the Libertarian Party to take
    Yet, it's not the position that the libertarian party takes; this puts you at odds, once again, with the libertarian beliefs. This is why I don't understand how you identify with libertarians.

    Fine...and APPARENTLY...whether people like it or not...the law is such that Jebbie Bush violated that principle.
    I won't discuss the law, but I don't believe he was violating that priniciple.

  7. #127
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,729

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightwingnutjob View Post
    No, your disagreement with me is NOT what makes you a non-libertarian, it's that you agree with laws that infringe on the first ammendment, that you disagree with the libertarian platform. You can't re-write the platform to make it fit you (you've established that the platform is something you think is too extreme and not something you agree with). I once considered myself a conservative, but I don't identify with a lot of the conservative 'social' ideas, and therefor decided that I was more libertarian.
    You really don't have much choice but to follow the laws. I had and still do have the impression that you agree with laws abridgining free speech.
    Yet, it's not the position that the libertarian party takes; this puts you at odds, once again, with the libertarian beliefs. This is why I don't understand how you identify with libertarians.
    I won't discuss the law, but I don't believe he was violating that priniciple.
    Dont be silly. Of COURSE you can disagree with platforms. God or the blessings of primordial oooze gave you a brain.

    You say I "agree with the law"...which tells me you havent once seen my NUMEROUS statements that its not a MATTER of whether or not you AGREE with the law...but you still have to FOLLOW the law.

    So...you are right. No way around it. I am not a mindless libertarian ideologue. I dare to have a few positions and beliefs differing from the libertarians. You can have my magic decoder ring and I will understand when you dont invite me to the next election victory party...darn...I was SO looking forward to that event.

  8. #128
    Advisor Rightwingnutjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    09-05-10 @ 04:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    420

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Dont be silly. Of COURSE you can disagree with platforms.
    Yes, but when you disagree with as much or more as you agree with, does it really make sense for you to say you're still part of that party?
    God or the blessings of primordial oooze gave you a brain.
    Or both. There's that whole creation and evolution patchwork quilt idea too.
    You say I "agree with the law"...which tells me you havent once seen my NUMEROUS statements that its not a MATTER of whether or not you AGREE with the law...but you still have to FOLLOW the law.
    I know what you've said. Maybe it's just me, but it seems that you agree with it, no?
    So...you are right. No way around it. I am not a mindless libertarian ideologue. I dare to have a few positions and beliefs differing from the libertarians. You can have my magic decoder ring and I will understand when you dont invite me to the next election victory party...darn...I was SO looking forward to that event.
    Define a few? I don't think you are mindless; but I don't think I'm mindless either.
    Go to whatever election party you'd like too, although I'm curious as to which one YOU would decide to go to.

    No need to get huffy and defensive. I really just don't understand why you affiliate yourself with the libertarians... Perhaps you could summarize your beliefs as I summarized mine earlier? Maybe that will clear things up. I'm more confused than angry etc. I hope I'm not offending you.

  9. #129
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post
    But the property itself is privately owned.
    And somebody owns UT Austin as well. It isn't everyone in TX. If you don't like. That's one thing, but the university isn't everyone's.
    Last edited by DrunkenAsparagus; 08-17-10 at 06:42 PM.
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  10. #130
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: John Bush Arrested For Protesting Outside Free Speech Zone At U.T. Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    And somebody owns UT Austin as well.
    Really? Who?

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •