Page 52 of 87 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 511 to 520 of 862

Thread: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

  1. #511
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I can read you like a book, I knew you would ask this question. I have no problem with the data, however the report is very misleading, it's written in such a manner to make the reader believe the rich are paying more for their taxes when you and I know that simply isn't the case; they are paying less - simple reasoning tells you that. The deception comes with the 20% comparison - the comparison is two separate pieces of the pie. It stand to reason that if you cut off people at the bottom, the 20% at the top will have an average income greater the previous 20%
    No, they are paying more even though their percentage is less. You seem to have a problem with that concept just like you have a problem explaining how tax revenue went up AFTER the tax rate cuts. This isn't a zero sum economy where someone wins and someone loses. All have the opportunity to win.

    What you and others have a problem understand is that when tax rates were cut, people kept more of what they earned, spent money, created demand which required new workers who then became taxpayers. Happens all the time, more taxpayers means more tax revenue to the govt. Right now 16 million Americans aren't working and paying very little in taxes. Getting them back to work has to be a priority and the empty suit in the WH doesn't have a clue.

  2. #512
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Apparenly stealing from the SS fund it ok. Is that how all liberals operate,
    It's not about choice. The SS has to loan it to the government them by law.


    UST FACTS.com

    * The Social Security program has an independent budget that is separate from the rest of the federal government.

    * Since 1982, Social Security has had surpluses ranging from $89 million to $190 billion per year. By law, these surpluses must be loaned to the federal government, which is obligated to pay the money back with interest. This is referred to as the "Social Security Trust Fund" and at the close of 2007 it had a balance of $2.2 trillion.

    NOTE: The above fact does not mean that the federal government will have enough money to pay back the Social Security program.

    ricksfolly

  3. #513
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by drz-400 View Post
    Very true, I just want to make sure the facts are straight. There was a surplus, thats all I want to prove. Whether it was sustainable or not would be much more a subject of debate.



    This has literally nothing to do with what I am debating (which should not even be debatable). There was a surplus, can you say that conservative? Whether they stole from SS or not, whether that is ok with you, wherever that money is going to come from for SS in the future, no matter how liberals operate, there was still a surplus.
    If there was a surplus then the U.S. Treasury Dept. would show it and they don't. Debt increased every year during the Clinton Administration and that should be the bottom line for anyone. If anyone can show me where the U.S. Treasury Dept showed the debt dropping then I will apologize and accept your statement. Stealing from the SS fund to show a lower deficit is slight of hand and dispicable as you will find out someday when your SS contributions won't be there.

  4. #514
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by ricksfolly View Post
    It's not about choice. The SS has to loan it to the government them by law.


    UST FACTS.com

    * The Social Security program has an independent budget that is separate from the rest of the federal government.

    * Since 1982, Social Security has had surpluses ranging from $89 million to $190 billion per year. By law, these surpluses must be loaned to the federal government, which is obligated to pay the money back with interest. This is referred to as the "Social Security Trust Fund" and at the close of 2007 it had a balance of $2.2 trillion.

    NOTE: The above fact does not mean that the federal government will have enough money to pay back the Social Security program.

    ricksfolly
    Let me know how that money is going to be paid back to the SS trust fund since the govt. has spent the money and continues to run a deficit?

    The only reason the govt. would have to borrow the money is because of the deficit. That something you support, loaning SS money to the general fund? Does that make any sense to you, the govt. HAS to loan the money to the general fund? What law requires that?
    Last edited by Conservative; 08-25-10 at 06:58 PM.

  5. #515
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,685

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I knew you would pull that BS, see my sig conservative. On and individual basis the rich pay less and like I said, it doesn't take a genius to know this.
    the fact is-the rich pay far far more taxes than they use in government services. A group that makes 22% of the income and pays 40% of the income taxes and ALL of the death confiscation taxes is a group that is grossly overtaxed

    so stop quibbling. We need to make those who cast the majority of votes for big government to pay far more in taxes



  6. #516
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, they are paying more even though their percentage is less.
    I hate to be a stickler for detail, do you have any proof they pay more taxes after the Bush tax cuts?


  7. #517
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,685

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I hate to be a stickler for detail, do you have any proof they pay more taxes after the Bush tax cuts?
    the rich pay a higher share of the tax burden

    but why quibble-no matter what the numbers the top 1-2% pay far more than they should

    until the majority of those who vote for more welfare socialism start getting more of their income taken when the dems spend more, they will never have any incentive to stop the run away government spending



  8. #518
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I hate to be a stickler for detail, do you have any proof they pay more taxes after the Bush tax cuts?
    The Tax Foundation - Summary of Latest Federal Individual Income Tax Data

  9. #519
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Let me know how that money is going to be paid back to the SS trust fund since the govt. has spent the money and continues to run a deficit?

    The only reason the govt. would have to borrow the money is because of the deficit. That something you support, loaning SS money to the general fund? Does that make any sense to you, the govt. HAS to loan the money to the general fund? What law requires that?
    He didn't say he supported it. He said it was the law.

  10. #520
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    He didn't say he supported it. He said it was the law.
    I asked what law, the only law I recall is that SS Surplus CAN be used on budget, not that it has to be used on budget.

    Pretty good Q&A regarding SS

    http://www.network-democracy.org/soc...faq/trust.html
    Last edited by Conservative; 08-25-10 at 11:03 PM.

Page 52 of 87 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •