Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 862

Thread: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

  1. #231
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    The Bush tax cuts that currently exist aren't growing jobs, are they?
    I don't really know if they are or not and I suspect you don't know either. Would things be worse without the tax cuts? Would unemplyment have gone higher, would the economy have shrunk further? *Shrug*

    It kind of reminds me of Obama's claim that the stimulus saved or created a million plus jobs. You can look at that claim and since unemployment continued to grow, not beleive it. However, it's likely that without that stimulus, the unemplyment would have been worse. Not that I think the stimulus was a good idea, but it is similar.

  2. #232
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Charts are only meaningless when the don't support your point of view....
    In this case it's probably true and I think he was correct. The tax cuts were enacted to fight a recession inherited from Clinton. They began to work, but 9/11 hit which caused further damage to the economy. Followed by another round of tax cuts, I beleive. While the tax cuts probably created the benefits they normally do, those benefits were partially mitigated by other factors affecting the economy

  3. #233
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,252

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Charts are only meaningless when the don't support your point of view....
    They don't support his point of view either because they ignore the economic conditions at the time and the plan in place to improve the economy. As was stated, many people quickly forget 9/11 that happened in 2001 and that affect on the economy plus they forget that it wasn't until July 2003 that actual tax rate cuts took affect changing withholding tables and putting more money into the hands of the taxpayer.

    The point is does any of this really matter today? What exactly has Obama done that has made things better. He can point to better job numbers but the reality is BLS doesn't support that. Only the minions that faint when he speaks ignore the research data available that refutes his claims. Unemployment is up each month this year vs. last year and Employment is down this year vs. the end of 2008. I don't think that is a record to be proud of.

  4. #234
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    In this case it's probably true and I think he was correct. The tax cuts were enacted to fight a recession inherited from Clinton. They began to work, but 9/11 hit which caused further damage to the economy. Followed by another round of tax cuts, I beleive. While the tax cuts probably created the benefits they normally do, those benefits were partially mitigated by other factors affecting the economy
    9/11 was certainly a monkey wrench in the machinery. Can't blame Bush for that, but I think the way we reacted has been just throwing in more monkey wrenches.
    I am no trained economist, but I don't believe that sustained tax cuts are good long term. There was a time when we had little unemployment, higher tax rates, and we were a lender nation. I guess you have to be old to remember that far back.

    If we can stimulate the economy without tax dollars, I am all for it.
    Where I live (summer house) the contractors are getting busy again. The wife and I have money (to spend, not invest) and we are spending it finishing an 1800 sq. ft basement. Our daughter's website is doing well and she is spending it as well, new car and finishing her basement. Some of the very wealthy in our area are spending as well.
    If we can get the economy moving with minimal tax dollars, I am all for it.
    This increasing of the national debt does not sit well with me.
    The govt could encourage this spending by the wealthy, and well off retirees, but the "brains" running the show seem to think that we can do it with tax dollars alone.
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  5. #235
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    USA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    9,812

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    but I don't believe that sustained tax cuts are good long term. There was a time when we had little unemployment, higher tax rates, and we were a lender nation. I guess you have to be old to remember that far back.
    I don't see why not. If it causes the economy to grow quicker (or not contract as much) I see no reason that sustained tax cuts aren't fine. That's just my opinion, though

    Anyway, I imagine that since you don't think tax cuts should be sustained, then we need to go back to the 90.0% top marginal rates? Anything less that that would essentially be a tax cut.

  6. #236
    Sage
    UtahBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    12-03-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,687

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    I don't see why not. If it causes the economy to grow quicker (or not contract as much) I see no reason that sustained tax cuts aren't fine. That's just my opinion, though

    Anyway, I imagine that since you don't think tax cuts should be sustained, then we need to go back to the 90.0% top marginal rates? Anything less that that would essentially be a tax cut.
    I doubt I will ever make enough to be taxed at 90%...tho we did get into the 34% bracket a few years a go when we withdrew IRA funds to build a house...
    Oracle of Utah
    Truth rings hollow in empty heads.

  7. #237
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    No, they aren't but it isn't because of the tax cuts, it is because of other economic conditions that cost people jobs. Hard to cut taxes on unemployment benefits.

    Why are so many here against keeping more of their own money? Please don't tell me it is because they believe it is for the good of the nation!
    They are against other people who make more than they do keeping more of the money

    They want others to do all the heavy lifting



  8. #238
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberhwk View Post
    Indeed! Except Republicans have made it quite clear that any tax increase whatsoever will be completely unacceptable. They have offered at MOST extremely vague and wishy-washy proposals for cutting spending (or proposals they have no chance in hell of implementing; I'm looking at you "Abolish the Department of Education" people).

    That's why politicians invented the term "government waste." So you never actually have to take a POSITION on anything. It's easier to campaign on "cutting waste" than "cutting Program X, Y, Z" because you don't have to deal with people who like Program X, Y, Z. It's also a great term because there's no way to hold someone accountable since you never have to articulate what your goal is.

    You're 100% correct. There are three ways to attack the National Debt:

    1. Raise Taxes to raise revenue.
    2. Cut spending to lower costs.
    3. Balance the budget and let the debt inflate away.


    Anybody who thinks we can solve the problem with a "one prong" approach is simply deluded.
    you make the assumption that tax hikes on those who already pay too much of the taxes will lead to increased revenues

    I don't think that is true. that is the major problem with liberal arguments. the assumption that people won't change anything other than how big the check they write the parasitic government



  9. #239
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So FICA which brings in nearly the same amount doesn't count to you? You have this real big hang up on only income tax to the point you went out of your way to pretend Lord T's post showing the breakdown of taxes where FICA was a few hundred billion short of Income simply did not exist. This suggests you have no use for honest debate as you keep pretending that only income tax exists and that all other taxes aside from the estate simply do not matter despite their large staggering effects upon the budget.



    As will there never been an incentive for the minority who gets special privileges and subsidies to vote for decreasing spending. Pretending that doesn't exist too eh? What a simple life. Only the things that negatively effect me are bad and that all of the good things on the same plate that I complain about aren't there. Despite me getting benefits. Honest, you are not.



    And GOP does the same thing. Or were you sleeping during the all GOP years?

    Some of us have memory superior to that of Goldfish. Some do not.
    some of us are smart enough to be attacked by the envious. some others are not

    and what special privileges do the majority of us targeted for Obamascum tax hikes get? I am talking about people making 200k to a couple million a year. tell me what do we get for having more than half of the next dollar we earn taken by the dem parasites?

    and FICA isn't the tax that your Idiot in chief is talking about hiking



  10. #240
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,606

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Gee, I always thought that payroll taxes were SS taxes and that "contributions" to SS would lead to benefits when the individual retired. Didn't know that was the same affect as income taxes. Who would have thought it? Wonder if those calling for a payroll tax cut are also calling for a SS benefit cut when those people retire? Comparisons between both taxes seem to be quite inappropriate but as OC would say what do I know?
    you are right-its a diversion the tax hiking parasitic class uses when they are losing arguments. IF FDR had told people that those things were taxes the grand ponzi scheme never would have happened



Page 24 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •