Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 862

Thread: GOP plan to extend tax cuts for rich adds $36 billion

  1. #201
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Wow, that is interesting. The top .1% earns 11.93% of the nation's income and pays 20.19% of taxes. Man, I'm happy we have a progressive tax system. The richest people in the country own 12% of the income but only pay 20% of the taxes? That is nuts!
    Why do you care what someone else pays in taxes? Just asking. How does what the rich pay affect you and your family?

  2. #202
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Correlation does not equal causation.
    Growth can happen independent of taxes but it can't always happen with punitively high taxes.
    As can be said with the low tax argument; although another glaring statistic does stick out during the post WWII recovery period. Wealth inequality has been a central theme in asset bubbles that manifest into deflationary liquidity traps (as even Japan leaves us with a more recent occurrence). Not only in the form of intra-country wealth inequality, but on a globally relative scale.

    Giovanni Andrea Cornia. Trends in Income Distribution in the Post WWII Period, 2001.

    Not to mention that there has been a shift in our economy from unskilled labor to skill labor.
    I believe this to be existing at this very moment, as evident in the perpetual double digit health care inflation. There is such a demand for health care related careers, yet a constant shortage in an age of double digit unemployment. A reskilling period is all but certain, and medium term unemployment will most likely remain high until this asymmetry works itself out.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  3. #203
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Something vexes me; a great deal of posters deem the spending spree post 9/11 to not only be necessary, but under no circumstances should it have been budget neutral (even following the expansionary period that reached full employment). Such a notion displays shades of radical partisanship. Even if the spending was necessary (and that is another discussion entirely), i believe it should have been paid for following the recovery.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #204
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    As can be said with the low tax argument; although another glaring statistic does stick out during the post WWII recovery period. Wealth inequality has been a central theme in asset bubbles that manifest into deflationary liquidity traps (as even Japan leaves us with a more recent occurrence). Not only in the form of intra-country wealth inequality, but on a globally relative scale.

    Giovanni Andrea Cornia. Trends in Income Distribution in the Post WWII Period, 2001.
    I'm not arguing that high or low taxes can inherently create a prosperous economy, I'm saying that it is a small piece of a larger puzzle that is the economy.

    People tend to cite that, the high taxes of that period correlate with the high productivity, when there are a myriad of other things effecting the economy at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I believe this to be existing at this very moment, as evident in the perpetual double digit health care inflation. There is such a demand for health care related careers, yet a constant shortage in an age of double digit unemployment. A reskilling period is all but certain, and medium term unemployment will most likely remain high until this asymmetry works itself out.
    It's working it's way out slowly.

    I haven't checked locally lately but, at one time, there was a 2 year waiting list to get on nursing program at the tech school.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #205
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Something vexes me; a great deal of posters deem the spending spree post 9/11 to not only be necessary, but under no circumstances should it have been budget neutral (even following the expansionary period that reached full employment). Such a notion displays shades of radical partisanship. Even if the spending was necessary (and that is another discussion entirely), i believe it should have been paid for following the recovery.
    I don't agree with the spending spree at all.

    I honestly don't agree with infrastructure stimulus programs but I do agree quantitative easing measures to banks.
    Let the money allocate itself, through the system, more naturally.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #206
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,127

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why do you care what someone else pays in taxes? Just asking. How does what the rich pay affect you and your family?
    Taxes pay for Social Secruity, National defense, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.

  7. #207
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Taxes pay for Social Secruity, National defense, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
    You really don't understand our tax system do you, SS taxes are separate, Medicare Taxes are separate, and Income taxes are separate. You continue to SS and Medicare thus get money back so tell me how the rich affect what you get from those programs? then there are income taxes, are you aware that 47% of the people in the workers in this country don't pay any income taxes? So you should be upset with the 47% that don't pay any income taxes instead of worrying about collecting more from the rich? I am hardly rich but I don't care what the rich pay in taxes and wonder why others do but no outrage over those who don't pay any income taxes?

  8. #208
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    I'm not arguing that high or low taxes can inherently create a prosperous economy, I'm saying that it is a small piece of a larger puzzle that is the economy.

    People tend to cite that, the high taxes of that period correlate with the high productivity, when there are a myriad of other things effecting the economy at the time.
    I know! Yet the low tax argument almost always fails to mention the correlation of realitivly historic wealth inequality prior to deflationary liquidity traps. It would seem to me, that a glut of rent seeking is it and of itself a bubble!

    It's working it's way out slowly.

    I haven't checked locally lately but, at one time, there was a 2 year waiting list to get on nursing program at the tech school.
    There was a paper i read a while back showing the physician/population ratio to be shrinking. The question is, does the AMA have a hand in this?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  9. #209
    Sage

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    8,358

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Taxes pay for Social Secruity, National defense, Medicare, Medicaid, etc.
    I am Sure you know that income taxes do NOT pay for social security or medicare. Medicaid is state funded. If you don't even know how socil security is funded how can there be a reasoned debate.

  10. #210
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Dem vs Rep Tax Cut Plan in Graph form!

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I know! Yet the low tax argument almost always fails to mention the correlation of realitivly historic wealth inequality prior to deflationary liquidity traps. It would seem to me, that a glut of rent seeking is it and of itself a bubble!
    Hey I argue for low taxes based on the fact that I don't want to pay high taxes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    There was a paper i read a while back showing the physician/population ratio to be shrinking. The question is, does the AMA have a hand in this?
    It could be higher foreign physician immigration.
    I honestly don't know for sure.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 21 of 87 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •