Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 126

Thread: The World's Happiest Countries

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    04-23-17 @ 05:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,429
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    I wonder what the medias in these countries are like. I wonder if they have alternating medias that portray as much as they can about their country in a negative light and divide its own citizens against each other.
    "Loyalty only matters when there's a hundred reasons not to be-" Gen. Mattis

  2. #42
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל • אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Israel is tied with Australia, Canada, and Switzerland at number 8.

    Pretty good company

    אשכנזי היהודי • Белый Россию

  3. #43
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    Israel is tied with Australia, Canada, and Switzerland at number 8.

    Pretty good company
    we let you in 'cause we felt sorry for such a little country
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  4. #44
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל • אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    we let you in 'cause we felt sorry for such a little country
    A diamond in the rough

    אשכנזי היהודי • Белый Россию

  5. #45
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by WI Crippler View Post
    I wonder what the medias in these countries are like. I wonder if they have alternating medias that portray as much as they can about their country in a negative light and divide its own citizens against each other.
    at least in my country, no, the media is not where near as partisan as what i see from America, in fact, Australia is no where near as political as America, so that may contribute a lot to general happiness
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  6. #46
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    A diamond in the rough
    good comeback
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #47
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    03-31-11 @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Table: The World's Happiest Countries - Forbes.com

    Most of us have been spoon fed the glories of capitalism and the free market since we were old enough to eat at a table. But a few years ago, I saw a study much like this one, and thought, "What if we're not getting it? What if the aquisition of wealth isn't really the way to happiness?"

    In other words, if our system is so great, why are we only #14, and not not #1? Why are people in Denmark, Finland, Norway, etc. so much happier than we are?

    I'm no socialist/communist. But on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if our lives might be better if more of us had a security net that protected us from having to constantly worry about something terrible happening (like getting a life-threatening illness that would push us over the edge of financially succeeding).

    What if work was just work, and we could spend more hours in our day enjoying life, and fewer hours feeling like we have to claw our way to the top of the rat race?

    Just food for thought...what if earning money ISN'T the be all/end all of our existence? What if we could go to work, earn a paycheck, do our best work, and know that we'd be taken care of in comfort after retirement, without constantly scrimping and saving?

    Some of you are very well-off. I appreciate your hard work.

    However, as a single mom, I am nearly constantly worried about how I am going to pay for all of my children's college expenses, how much money I will need to retire after doing that, and the possibility that something could happen to me that would make it impossible to work, and would leave my kids hanging off of the edge of the cliff.

    I do fine professionally, I make good money and I have a great job with an excellent company. And yet, having said that, I still have to put myself in the "struggling" category. Every single month is a struggle to make ends meet and make sure my kids have the things that they need. A lot of that is because I receive very little help from my ex in taking care of the kids. I don't blame anyone for that situation except myself, and yet...it's hard.

    And I'm in the top 10% of wage earners here.

    I wonder...if it's that hard for me, what's it like for the other 90%? And, have these people in these other countries figured out something that we haven't about what life is really about?
    Catz, i have read many of your posts. and i have come to love you. but if you are in the 10% bracket and still struggling it wouldn't matter if you were in the 5% and so on. you need to seriously look at how you are spending your money because if you don't you never will have enough when the situation demands it. you have a child and i am certain that your child is the most luckiest to have you a beautiful women as his mother.

    when i was in denmark, the reason why people was happier was that they basically have a government state that looks for their well being. it is what the people want and enjoy. they don't care too much for spending on material goods they do not need. trust me its hard when a small coke bottle costs you 8bucks.

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Doesn't Switzerland rival the U.S. in firearm ownership per capita?

    I knew it. Happiness is a warm gun.

  9. #49
    R.I.P. Léo
    bub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    05-17-12 @ 03:54 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,649

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Table: The World's Happiest Countries - Forbes.com

    Most of us have been spoon fed the glories of capitalism and the free market since we were old enough to eat at a table. But a few years ago, I saw a study much like this one, and thought, "What if we're not getting it? What if the aquisition of wealth isn't really the way to happiness?"

    In other words, if our system is so great, why are we only #14, and not not #1? Why are people in Denmark, Finland, Norway, etc. so much happier than we are?

    I'm no socialist/communist. But on the other hand, I can't help but wonder if our lives might be better if more of us had a security net that protected us from having to constantly worry about something terrible happening (like getting a life-threatening illness that would push us over the edge of financially succeeding).

    What if work was just work, and we could spend more hours in our day enjoying life, and fewer hours feeling like we have to claw our way to the top of the rat race?

    Just food for thought...what if earning money ISN'T the be all/end all of our existence? What if we could go to work, earn a paycheck, do our best work, and know that we'd be taken care of in comfort after retirement, without constantly scrimping and saving?

    Some of you are very well-off. I appreciate your hard work.

    However, as a single mom, I am nearly constantly worried about how I am going to pay for all of my children's college expenses, how much money I will need to retire after doing that, and the possibility that something could happen to me that would make it impossible to work, and would leave my kids hanging off of the edge of the cliff.

    I do fine professionally, I make good money and I have a great job with an excellent company. And yet, having said that, I still have to put myself in the "struggling" category. Every single month is a struggle to make ends meet and make sure my kids have the things that they need. A lot of that is because I receive very little help from my ex in taking care of the kids. I don't blame anyone for that situation except myself, and yet...it's hard.

    And I'm in the top 10% of wage earners here.

    I wonder...if it's that hard for me, what's it like for the other 90%? And, have these people in these other countries figured out something that we haven't about what life is really about?
    Denmark, Finland and Norway have a very small population, while the USA are a continent. I'm sure there are areas in the USA where "happiness" is as high as in Finland or Denmark.

  10. #50
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,894
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: The World's Happiest Countries

    Quote Originally Posted by bub View Post
    Denmark, Finland and Norway have a very small population, while the USA are a continent. I'm sure there are areas in the USA where "happiness" is as high as in Finland or Denmark.
    Australia's a continent too, and it's happier.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •