Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 95

Thread: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

  1. #81
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,722

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    So because your neighbor is unemployed you don't take your family on vacation?

    You have any idea how many people's employment is dependent on the tourist business?

    Perhaps because it is a democrat that gripes you more than the fact that the first family takes vacation....
    No. I'll say this one last time...even though I know its a waste because nothing The One does will ever be fallible in your eyes...

    He is a hypocritical douche precisely because as the leader of the country in a massive recession he preaches cutting back and scrimping and then does the opposite. That is and has been the ONLY objection to the numerous vacations. NOT that he has spent more time on vacation than Bush (and you didnt like it when Bush did it I recall) and not that he golfs a lot (I endorse that heartily)...but that he says one thing and does another.

  2. #82
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Again to the critics, I hear you and understand your point. However, I just don't think those who are claiming that the POTUS, the FLOTUS or the 1st Family should pay their own airfare are thinking this thing through. As I said in a previous post, you just can't get the same security measures in place on a commercial plane that are already in place on the military aircraft our President and his family fly. Anything less would certainly put them in danger. So, whether you like the man or his wife is irrelevant. He his your President; you should want to know that when he (and his family) travels, they are receiving the best protection this country can provide.

    Now, I understand the grips folks are having here. It's about appearance, towit: "The country's suffering economically...how dare you splurge at a time like this?" But it's these same people who have said time and time again that if you have money, you're entitled to spend it any way you want. And if the FLOTUS is spending her own money - NOT TAXPAYER MONEY, but her own money - for these trips, what's the problem?

    Looks at the trips again...

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Oh, I get the point just fine...8 trips since June of this year. But let's look at them, shall we:

    Note: All trips by the FLOTUS w/her daughters

    Spring break: NYC

    May 30th: Memorial Day weekend retreat to Chicago

    Late June: LA

    July 4th: Camp David (w/Pres.)

    July 18-19: Acadia National Park in Maine

    Aug 6-9: Spain

    Aug 14-16: Gulf Coast retreat in Florida

    Aug 19-29: Martha's Vineyard (w/Pres.)

    Of all her trips only 1 is OUTCONUS, 2 were National holidays, 1 was for School Break (daughter's time away). The rest I'd call them standard PR/Presidential getaways.

    So, when you stop and think about it there's really not that much the public can really complain about since these trips are either directly for their children, PR trips, or standard trips the President and 1st Family have taken since the days of the Kennedy's.
    Aside from the trips to LA, Maine and Spain, how many of you wouldn't have taken your family on any of the other holiday getaways if you could afford to do so? I mean, what's so unreasonable about taking your children on vacation over Spring Break, Memorial Day or the 4th of July? The trip to the national park I can kinda see...it's sight-seeing w/her kids. No big deal there. I can't say I totally agree w/her trip to Spain, but since there was some "official business" reportedly tied into it AND she's spending her own money for the most part, who are we to complain about it for any reason other than for appearance sake?

    The public has been pushing for them to vacation along the Gulf Coast since the oil spill cleanup efforts went into full swing a month ago. It's a bit too late for such a trip to be on their calendar now (not to mention FL wasn't one of the states hardest hit by the oil spill - yeah, I'll critisize them for that), but atleast they'll finally go there as a family. And every President goes to Martha's Vineyard. So, again, other than apearances, what's the real problem here?

  3. #83
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Again to the critics, I hear you and understand your point.



    Aside from the trips to LA, Maine and Spain, how many of you wouldn't have taken your family on any of the other holiday getaways if you could afford to do so? I mean, what's so unreasonable about taking your children on vacation over Spring Break, Memorial Day or the 4th of July?
    I don't think you understand our point at all, unless you think tax payer dollars are Barry's and Michelle's to spend on THEIR personal vacations. If they want to pay for aaaaaaaaaall of the expenses themselves.... wonderful, I would encourage them to take a permanent vacation.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  4. #84
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    I don't think you understand our point at all, unless you think tax payer dollars are Barry's and Michelle's to spend on THEIR personal vacations. If they want to pay for aaaaaaaaaall of the expenses themselves.... wonderful, I would encourage them to take a permanent vacation.
    I get your point fully. I just think it's retarded!

    Look at it this way...

    Suppose she did travel via commercial air. Would it be okay with you if she to take over the entire plane? Because that's likely what would have to happen in order to keep the plane secure. Of course, you guys would complain that she bumped passengers just so she and her security detail could "fly in style" overseas. Ok...rent a commercial jet you say? I've given reason why this wouldn't work either - security and defense mechanism not available on a private jet like AF2 (or whatever gov't plane she travels on) is readily equipped for.

    My main point, however, is the woman had money and was successful in her own right before she married the man who is now our nation's 44th President. What makes you so absolutely sure she's spending taxpayer dollars and not her own money as the linked article I provided clearly states? And before you say it, I don't know with absolute certainty that she's not, but this isn't such a big deal for me as apparently it is for some Republicans mainly because it's not the first time a FLOTUS has taken a trip abroad whether for official business or not, and it certainly won't be the last. And as the First Lady, she's entitled especially considering she was on the trip w/her daughter.

  5. #85
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    Oh, I get the point just fine...8 trips since June of this year. But let's look at them, shall we:

    Note: All trips by the FLOTUS w/her daughters

    Spring break: NYC

    May 30th: Memorial Day weekend retreat to Chicago

    Late June: LA

    July 4th: Camp David (w/Pres.)

    July 18-19: Acadia National Park in Maine

    Aug 6-9: Spain

    Aug 14-16: Gulf Coast retreat in Florida

    Aug 19-29: Martha's Vineyard (w/Pres.)

    Of all her trips only 1 is OUTCONUS, 2 were National holidays, 1 was for School Break (daughter's time away). The rest I'd call them standard PR/Presidential getaways.

    So, when you stop and think about it there's really not that much the public can really complain about since these trips are either directly for their children, PR trips, or standard trips the President and 1st Family have taken since the days of the Kennedy's.
    I couldn't find where you showed how much the Obama's were spending of their own money for vacations. Could you point me toward that info?
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Sorry...no can do, America. The info you've requested isn't avalable on the Government Accounting Office's website (GSA Home).

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Last Seen
    09-24-12 @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    11,963

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Ah, yes... the impotent rage, teabrain talking point of the day...

  8. #88
    Guru
    BWG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    South Coast
    Last Seen
    12-04-17 @ 11:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,203

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    Quote Originally Posted by Vancemack
    Touche!

    $2,500.00 per night (plus per diem and other expenses) for 72 people (PLUS MO and company) is MUCH more acceptable!!!
    Still huffing and puffing I see.

    Your Google still doesn't show secret service staying in $4,000 OR $2,500 per night rooms.

    But I bet your just a 'hoot' at the company coffee bar in the mornings to those who don't know any better...LOL...
    “We just simply don’t know how to govern” - Rep. Steve Womack (R-AR) a member of the House Budget Committee

  9. #89
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,772

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    A few updates on the FLOTUS' trip to Spain per the linked articles below:

    1. It was a first and foremost personal trip with two personal friends. (See item #4 below)

    2. The "official" side of of the trip stems from the invitation the FLOTUS received from King Juan Carlos and Queen Sophia of Spain.

    3. Here's an article from PoliticsDaily.com that discusses the expenses for the trip.

    4. Finally, this article outlines in greater detail why the FLOTUS took the trip in the first place.

  10. #90
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,459
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Material girl Michelle Obama is a modern-day Marie Antoinette

    The partisanship in this thread reeks to high heaven.

    There's outrageous spending on unwinnable wars, where BILLIONS of dollars are unaccounted for, but dang, let's get all riled up because of a stupid vacation.

    I shake my head.
    “No men are anywhere, and I’m allowed to go in, because I’m the owner of the pageant and therefore I’m inspecting it,” Trump said... “‘Is everyone OK’? You know, they’re standing there with no clothes. ‘Is everybody OK?’ And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.”

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •