Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 126

Thread: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

  1. #91
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I am the same way. I tend to become a mentor to the people I am in charge of. If they continue to mess up after I have coached them, than I will start enforcement procedures to let them know I am serious about whatever it is I am telling them. So far I have only had to do that once though. I find that if I explain the bigger picture to people and relate it to their daily routine and how they fit in and can influence the overall structure, I can get a lot of trust out of them. Once I get their trust, its pretty easy to keep them on task as most people just want a little guidance.
    Oh, I agree. Usually I don't get furious unless it's just obvious that someone is intentionally not pulling their weight or being dishonest. I find that soft guidance gets hundreds of times better response than yelling.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #92
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Oh, I agree. Usually I don't get furious unless it's just obvious that someone is intentionally not pulling their weight or being dishonest. I find that soft guidance gets hundreds of times better response than yelling.
    I agree, if someone yells at me I will behave the same way as if they simply told me what I did wrong, except with the yelliing I will also be angry at them too. However, I am going to do whatever is needed to fix the problem no matter how they let me know that there is a problem.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I am the same way. I tend to become a mentor to the people I am in charge of. If they continue to mess up after I have coached them, than I will start enforcement procedures to let them know I am serious about whatever it is I am telling them. So far I have only had to do that once though. I find that if I explain the bigger picture to people and relate it to their daily routine and how they fit in and can influence the overall structure, I can get a lot of trust out of them. Once I get their trust, its pretty easy to keep them on task as most people just want a little guidance.
    I have a very hands off management approach. I give everyone their tasks or I let them select the tasks among themselves. They have a meeting with each other every morning and a meeting with me on Monday mornings sometime around 10AM where they give me updates on where they are with their projects. When they complete a project, I meet with them one on one to go over it's functionality, test it myself, and create a plan for full deployment. Then I let them deploy whatever it is, per my instructions.

    Other than that, I don't want to hear anything about what they're doing and I am sure they don't much care to hear from me either.

  4. #94
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    @ Jallman -- Great management style. Cultivate good people and then get out of their way.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  5. #95
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I have a very hands off management approach. I give everyone their tasks or I let them select the tasks among themselves. They have a meeting with each other every morning and a meeting with me on Monday mornings sometime around 10AM where they give me updates on where they are with their projects. When they complete a project, I meet with them one on one to go over it's functionality, test it myself, and create a plan for full deployment. Then I let them deploy whatever it is, per my instructions.

    Other than that, I don't want to hear anything about what they're doing and I am sure they don't much care to hear from me either.
    I think you and I are around different employees. The people I am in charge of are not professional IT people. They are supervisors and production workers (I am in IT, but I also am in charge of manufacturing projects as part of my management training program since there's not much IT stuff to do around here). And generally those guys are intimidated by guys in management and feel that they have little control over their situation. Trust is a huge thing with them and if they see that you are not against them and are willing to treat them like they have some worth, they will be grateful and productive in what you give them. My hope (and my boss's hope too) is to develop them and see who has the hidden talents we can use for the betterment of them and the company.

    Your approach is how my boss handles me though. I am given a task. I meet with him every morning at 9 with the rest of the staff for progress reports as we see fit to give them and we notify him when we are done. I enjoy the freedom in that environment, but not everyone has the self confidence to flourish in it.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-22-10 at 03:04 PM.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I think you and I are around different employees. The people I am in charge of are not professional IT people. They are supervisors and production workers (I am in IT, but I also am in charge of manufacturing projects as part of my management training program since theres not much IT stuff to do around here). And generally those guys are intimidated by guys in management and feel that they have little control over their situation. Trust is a huge thing with them and if they see that you are not against them and are willing to treat them like they have some worth, they will be greatful and productive in what you give them. My hope (and my boss's hope too) is to develop them and see who has the hidden talents we can use for the betterment of them and the company.
    Probably a different breed of employee for sure. But it sounds like they have the same attitudes. What's funny is that this department was falling apart under our old boss and it was because there was a lot of micromanagement and passive aggressive abuse that was going on. It crippled morale and undermined any confidence the guys had in their own ability. Within a week of giving them free reign to actually do their jobs, the change was noticed in other departments.

    People don't need to be coddled or treated like children. And they certainly don't need to be abused. My management philosophy is that you accomplish so much more if you have power with people rather than you do by having power over them.

  7. #97
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    I have a very hands off management approach. I give everyone their tasks or I let them select the tasks among themselves. They have a meeting with each other every morning and a meeting with me on Monday mornings sometime around 10AM where they give me updates on where they are with their projects. When they complete a project, I meet with them one on one to go over it's functionality, test it myself, and create a plan for full deployment. Then I let them deploy whatever it is, per my instructions.

    Other than that, I don't want to hear anything about what they're doing and I am sure they don't much care to hear from me either.
    Pretty much the way I've dealt with members on my team. I tell them what's expected, make sure they have the tools to do that, and then leave them the **** alone until they get it done.

  8. #98
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    People don't need to be coddled or treated like children. And they certainly don't need to be abused. My management philosophy is that you accomplish so much more if you have power with people rather than you do by having power over them.
    It depends on where they are. Some people want to be micromanaged and some do not. Thats not what its about though. What we are trying to do with this plant is to push autonomy down to the lowest levels and develop production processes that give the employees enough information to make the every day decisions. The reason for this is that with the right training and information, the employees can take care of many small problems themselves and we don't have to put out as many fires on the management level. However, the culture of the organization right now is very top down and part of my task is to help change it to more of a bottom up one where the employees can help make decisions about their work environment, but these are not empowered people right now. So, my management style reflects that. I give them small jobs where they can make decisions, find out who the natural leaders are, put them in charge of the next project, under my supervision, see what pans out, but the whole time I am watching and seeing who can be handled less over time.

    Essentially my boss is doing the same with me. He keeps giving me larger projects to see what I can do and doesn't provide supervision as I have already proven that I do not need it (I think at one point I went a month without telling him anything and he did not care since nobody was complaining about my work).
    Last edited by tacomancer; 07-22-10 at 03:17 PM.

  9. #99
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    A bosshole can yell at me if they lose their cool. I'm not paying any attention to him/her anyway. When they are finished, I go to HR and file a written complaint. I file complaints when I have witnessed said bosshole berating some other employees. It doesn't take very long, and poof, they magically disappear.

    I inherited a good strong 112 dB yell from my Father. I'll use it as a last resort, but I hate to see a person turn into a worm.

  10. #100
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: New Laws Target Workplace Bullying

    Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Shane View Post
    A bosshole can yell at me if they lose their cool. I'm not paying any attention to him/her anyway. When they are finished, I go to HR and file a written complaint. I file complaints when I have witnessed said bosshole berating some other employees. It doesn't take very long, and poof, they magically disappear.

    I inherited a good strong 112 dB yell from my Father. I'll use it as a last resort, but I hate to see a person turn into a worm.
    When I find out you started crying to HR, that's when you start getting all the crap or impossible tasks that you can't manage and my own documentation of your every failure starts, all with the goal of doing you in swiftly and efficiently. If you can't be man enough to handle it in the department, then you can't work on my team and I'll be damned if I will shuffle you off onto some other department. You got to go. And go now.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •