Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 237

Thread: First rig sails away over drilling ban

  1. #81
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Grand Junction, CO 81506
    Last Seen
    05-30-11 @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,236

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The legal battle exists and that causes too much uncertainty for oil companies to drop millions of dollars on a well that they might have to abandon, before iut produces any profit.

    The failure is on your part, sir.
    They don't have to abandon it, they can pull the BOP off the existing casing and replace it with a new one. Here's What West Engineering wrote about a different subject...

    ...If this were to occur during drilling Volume 13, Control System Ball Valves Under Pressure,perations, it could result in an unplanned LMRP/BOP pull and significant downtime.

    Proving that pulling the BOP is possible...

    ricksfolly

  2. #82
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    God damn you're like a fly that you swat and he won't go away.
    I believe the word you're looking for is "relentless."

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I live in the oil business. At current rates, estimates are between 75-80 years
    But you said, "we aren't sure how much oil is out there."

    How can we even begin to estimate how much longer the oil that is out there will last if we aren't sure how much is out there?

    Are you going to pick a stance and stick to it, or are you going to change your position to whatever helps you make your argument?

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    BUT that assumes that we just keep going until we run dry which won't happen. Like I stated before, it's a supply and demand thing, the less supply we have the more demand, the more demand the greater the price. Oil will eventually be too EXPENSIVE for most to afford, but that won't happen any time soon.
    We aren't sure how much oil is out there.

    We aren't sure what demand will be in 5 years, much less 80 years.

    We aren't sure how much people will be willing to pay for whatever oil is left in 5 years, much less 80 years.

    We aren't sure what kind of technological whiz-bang is going to come along and replace oil in whole or in part, and...

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    We have enough shale oil in this country for WAY longer than the old estimates had, so I wouldn't be surprised if in 100 years we still have oil.
    Oh, wait, so now it's not 80 years, it's 100 years? Hell, why not 1000 years?

    How do you not see how absurd your argument is?

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Right now, we guess about 80 years of oil is available.
    Oh, so now we're not estimating, we're guessing -- unless that's the same thing?



    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    But since you CAN'T KNOW WHAT IS OUT THERE IF YOU DON'T KNOW ITS THERE
    Schroedinger's Cat strikes again!

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    there is no way to know how far BEYOND 80 or so years we will have oil. That doesn't mean we don't know what's out there as in we don't have a flying ****ing idea what the **** will happen in 20 years, the unknowns begin about 80 years out.....but next year we could develop ways to access oil we don't know exist today and it could DOUBLE the amount of oil we can obtain thus doubling the amount of time before we run out.
    Or, the estimates could turn out to be total bunk and then we're hosed. What'll you say then, "oops, I meant we should've had at least 80 er 100 er 80 years of oil left?"

    Or usage could turn out way higher or way lower than you expect.

    Or any number of things.

    A lot can happen in 80 years, especially when dealing with a complete unknown like how much oil we have left on the planet.

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    You love to play on words but the fact is I forgot WAY more about the oil industry than you will EVER know.
    That may be, but when it comes coherent debate, you've got a lot to learn, and if a layman like me can point out the holes in what you're saying, then they aught to be glaringly obvious to an industry expert like yourself.

    Or not, as the case may be.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #83
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    A link to back up what I said earlier:

    how much oil is left - Weather Imagery

    A link saying we have AT LEAST 40 years of KNOWN oil left, but we haven't explored everywhere yet:

    How long will the world’s oil last?
    Oh, wait, so now it's 40 years!



    ...

    Just, !
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    I knew it didn't hurt my cause because it said we don't know how much is out there. I'd heard about 5 years ago that we had about 80 years worth of oil left. You say we can't predict our oil usage, yes we can. We can easily make a graph out of it and get it pretty darn close based on old stats.

    Lets see who knows more about the oil business. An upper New Yorker.....or....someone who lives a few miles from the Gulf with a father who has worked for the MMS for 40 years? Oh I don't know, they're pretty close! LOL

    I did research and came up with links, you put smileys, so that pretty much means I win this one! Thanks!
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 07-13-10 at 01:55 AM.

  5. #85
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I knew it didn't hurt my cause because it said we don't know how much is out there. I'd heard about 5 years ago that we had about 80 years worth of oil left.
    You keep missing the point -- predictions like that are useless, because at best they're wild-ass guesses, both in terms of how much oil there is and in terms of how much of we'll be using.

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    You say we can't predict our oil usage, yes we can. We can easily make a graph out of it and get it pretty darn close based on old stats.
    Even were I to agree with your basic premise, which I do not, it only comes pretty darn close until some kind of calamity comes along (like war) and changes both our immediate consumption habits and our outlook all in one fell swoop.

    Like that's never happened before, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Lets see who knows more about the oil business. An upper New Yorker.....or....someone who lives a few miles from the Gulf with a father who has worked for the MMS for 40 years? Oh I don't know, they're pretty close! LOL
    I'm not basing my analysis on any kind of expertise in the industry. I'm basing it on simple logic, which is something your argument is sorely lacking.

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I did research and came up with
    uselessly theoretical

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    links, you put
    entirely appropriate

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    smileys, so that pretty much means I win this one! Thanks!
    If it feels good to declare victory and wander away, you be sure to do just that.

    It's worked so well well for America in the past, after all.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    With all due respect sir the oil industry provides about 50,000 jobs in my state alone. So keep your canadian comments to yourself. It's not your state or country or even problem. We'll deal with it, thanks.
    You do realize we are Canada's number one customer for oil. Yet they don't seem problems like we are in the Gulf of oil.....I mean Gulf of Mexico.

  7. #87
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Yea I know, we've had one in 60 years, they've had none. Yea I guess you could say they've had fewer! LOL

  8. #88
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Yea I know, we've had one in 60 years, they've had none. Yea I guess you could say they've had fewer! LOL
    One in 60 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  9. #89
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    You do realize we are Canada's number one customer for oil. Yet they don't seem problems like we are in the Gulf of oil.....I mean Gulf of Mexico.
    The environmental destruction caused by the Alberta tar sands is absolutely disgusting.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  10. #90
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,455
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    One in 60 years?
    I can think of two other biggies.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •