Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 237

Thread: First rig sails away over drilling ban

  1. #51
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    You just gotta love libs. They want to get away from petroleum as if cars will magically run without it.

    Just about EVERYTHING is petroleum based. The chair you are sitting in, the keyboard you are typing on, the case for the laptop computer (not the computer sleeve, I mean the plastic of the laptop itself) is all petroleum based. It's not JUST the gas in your car.

    And no, we won't just magically run out of oil one day. It's not like we'll be pumping full bore and then suddenly we suck air. Oil will slowly and surely become harder to drill and acquire which will slowly increase the price of oil which will push people to look for alternate sources of energy. But....we are at least 80 years away from running out of oil, and truth be told, we aren't sure how much oil is out there. There is one rig somewhere, I think in the Gulf, that was doing really well then started doing poorly. Out of nowhere and for no apparent reason, it started doing really well again! This proves that we aren't 100% sure how oil is made or where it comes from. How many dinosaurs would it take to produce the oil that we use in this country? It's obviously not that. If one dino gave us one gallon of oil (highly unlikely) we go through 10 million dinosaurs a day in this country alone. And if oil isn't renewable, why did that well start producing like never before AFTER it had depleted to almost nill? The fact is we DON'T know how much is out there nor how it is made.

    This is, for the most part, a manufactured crisis by the left. They love to play chicken little to make people think the world will end. It won't. Don't get me wrong, this is bad, but it's not as bad as it could be. This is the first time any oil spill of even close to this magnitude has occurred in the Gulf in the 60 years we have been drilling there. That is fact.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 07-11-10 at 03:49 PM.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Here's more on whale oil. Perhaps the liberals want to go back to using whale oil rather than drill. Not so progressive in my book.
    We found a replacement for whale oil and someday we may find a replacement for petroleum, but we are not there yet.

    illuminant (lamps) including railroad signal lamps until replaced by Galena Signal Oil from a Franklin, Pa., refinery

    candles (first made from sperm head oil in 1750+ in Newport by Jacob Rodriguez Rivera)

    watch oil (at $5.00 per ounce in 1957!)

    additives in motor oils

    automatic transmission fluid

    lubricant for delicate high altitude instruments

    glycerine

    cosmetics ("imparts a rich glossy sheen")

    rust-proofing compounds

    chemical fibers

    detergent

    vitamins

    glaze (on photographs)

    70+ pharmaceutical compounds



























    A

  3. #53
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    You just gotta love libs. They want to get away from petroleum as if cars will magically run without it.

    Just about EVERYTHING is petroleum based. The chair you are sitting in, the keyboard you are typing on, the case for the laptop computer (not the computer sleeve, I mean the plastic of the laptop itself) is all petroleum based. It's not JUST the gas in your car.

    And no, we won't just magically run out of oil one day. It's not like we'll be pumping full bore and then suddenly we suck air. Oil will slowly and surely become harder to drill and acquire which will slowly increase the price of oil which will push people to look for alternate sources of energy. But....we are at least 80 years away from running out of oil, and truth be told, we aren't sure how much oil is out there. There is one rig somewhere, I think in the Gulf, that was doing really well then started doing poorly. Out of nowhere and for no apparent reason, it started doing really well again! This proves that we aren't 100% sure how oil is made or where it comes from. How many dinosaurs would it take to produce the oil that we use in this country? It's obviously not that. If one dino gave us one gallon of oil (highly unlikely) we go through 10 million dinosaurs a day in this country alone. And if oil isn't renewable, why did that well start producing like never before AFTER it had depleted to almost nill? The fact is we DON'T know how much is out there nor how it is made.

    This is, for the most part, a manufactured crisis by the left. They love to play chicken little to make people think the world will end. It won't. Don't get me wrong, this is bad, but it's not as bad as it could be. This is the first time any oil spill of even close to this magnitude has occurred in the Gulf in the 60 years we have been drilling there. That is fact.
    Nobody is suggesting we cut oil consumption to zero overnight. Nice straw man.

    Also, suggesting that we don't understand the process of creating fossil fuels is outright stupidity. We use far more than the earth produces. Period. Just because we don't have 100% info on where every drop is doesn't mean we don't know how it is produced.
    Last edited by Deuce; 07-11-10 at 04:07 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    You don't really invite polite or level debate with comments like 'the more the merrier' though, you know - especially when it's in support of people actually losing their jobs. Whether you like the industry or not aside - the root of the matter is that *right now* it's not going to be a good thing at all.
    Don't blame me for other people's lack of self control in their responses. I am not responsible for how people choose to read wildly into my comments and assume my stances on things. I said nothing about workers or industry, unless you can provide a quote that says otherwise?

    Just sayin'.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    In fact, most of your comments in regard to the US are critical of the US. . . . which is never taken with a lump of sugar. . . yet it's rare to see you criticize Canada of your country's own fouls in the same areas of debate.
    Virtually all of the politics on this website are about the U.S., so it's hard to avoid looking uncritical of your country. I have my opinions just like you do. So why is it not outrageous when one of your own countrymen criticizes your country, yet I get accused of butting my nose where it doesn't belong for simply having an opinion?

    You know, when people from other countries ignore the U.S. cries for intervention around the world, we get accused of not supporting your country and not caring; and yet, when we are actively involved in discussing your politics because we find them interesting, we are accused of being busy bodies.

    Why don't you grow the **** up and stop picking these childish little fights with me over imagined offenses? If you can't avoid making posts that are of a personal nature about me, maybe you don't belong here? I come here to debate politics, not justify my existence to you.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Considering your lack of attack on your own country and your constant attack on mine, you deserve no respect.
    Considering that this forum almost never has threads about Canada or when there are threads, few seem to participate, I think your attack is baseless. I've created plenty of threads about Canada if you'd care to do a simple search. Your attack is baseless.

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    It's our country, our problem. Our jobs. We don't need some fly by night Canadian pitching in his 2 cents unless its how to plug the hole or contain the oil. Got it? AS is right, where is your criticizm of Canada and all their little problems? You come into a forum and knock our country not caring about thousands of people that would be unemployed and you expect me to respect you? You better be glad this forum is moderated or you would definitely hear what I really think about you.
    If your issue is my alleged lack of are about the American work force, then that should be your argument. I can't engage someone who is simply attacking my nationality. It shows lack of debate skill on your part to make this about the fact that I'm Canadian. Debate the facts, not the petty personal issues, and maybe you will find yourself in a position of respect.

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    When you don't respect the jobs of my state I don't respect you, period. This forum isn't for Americans only, but if all you're going to do is knock my country, to use your own words, "shove off."
    That is patently dishonest and simply unfair. Anyone who reads my posts regularly knows that there are many American policies I support.

    Again, if you choose to make your arguments personal attacks, you will only invite disdain; if you instead make your points based on the facts and constructive arguments, then maybe I would be more willing to give you the time of day. Until then, I find you to be little more than a troll.

  6. #56
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Moderator's Warning:
    First rig sails away over drilling banGood grief you guys! Let's not discuss each other. Discuss the topic or face consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Well Orion, since you're so fair and this forum doesn't have many threads about Canada, why don't you show us how fair you are and begin some, equally being critical of your own nation as you are of mine.

    That being said, hopefully soon this damn well will be shut off and we can start getting back to life as usual. I'm sick and tired of this **** in the news every day.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    That being said, hopefully soon this damn well will be shut off and we can start getting back to life as usual. I'm sick and tired of this **** in the news every day.
    That's how it is for those of you who don't live on the gulf...as soon as the well stops pumping out 20,000 barrels a day, you can get back to business, and it will all be over.

    Except it won't. There will still be tens of millions of gallons of oil in the gulf of Mexico, poisoning the water, the shore, the wildlife, the land, and our lives.

    It will be like Katrina. The rest of the world will forget, but millions of people's lives will be drastically altered for generations. This oil is going to drift around the gulf for decades, tainting one area after another, killing everything in its path, and ruining areas that I love.

    I wish those of you who are only thinking about your own convenience and who are sick of hearing about this issue would just shut up about it, so that those of us who are actually affected by it, and will be affected by it for years to come, could come up with serious solutions for what we're going to do to prevent this from happening again.

  9. #59
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    He says we should freeze offshore drilling for the time being, and now he's killing jobs.

    If he didn't freeze offshore drilling and another accident happened, he was fiddling while Rome burned.


    You know, it's hilarious how Obama just can't win.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #60
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    This is sort of out of the blue - but what's happening, right now, with all the wells that *are* tapped into but aren't being pumped?
    Are they, at least, doing some sort of "eye-watching maintenance" . . . at least trying to keep things *in* the well?
    I'm imagining that, over time and under pressure, a tapped well might eventually leak if left unchecked.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •