Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 237

Thread: First rig sails away over drilling ban

  1. #151
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,246

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    You're over aggsagerating things here. Nobody's claiming a complete pull-out from the GOM.



    And nobody's saying we should stop using petroleum based fuels right now or anytime soon. We has been advocated by myself and others is that this nation recognizes that unless we reduce our dependence on fossil fuels there is bound to be another Exxon Valdez, another BP, another war for some sort of natural resource. I mean, the world hated when Germany invaded Poland for this very reason.
    I'm not over exaggerating the fallout from the moratorium.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #152
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,191

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Your one source trumps our five? Puh-leeeezzze!!
    Only one of your five links says how much oil comes from natural seepage. And guess what? Somehow your link also covered my link but came to a conclusion without the story backing it up. They prefaced and title the story with unsupported conclusions.

    Exactly how much oil naturally seeps out of the seafloor is unknown, and most estimates are very crude because there has never been a proper global survey made for the public record. Researchers identified the natural seepage rate as a critical unanswered question when the National Academy of Sciences compiled its third Oil in the Sea report in 2003.Oil In Ocean Shows Up On NASA Images: Half Of The Oil In The Ocean Bubbles Up Naturally From Seafloor
    Your source editorialized in the first paragraph:

    About half of the oil in the ocean bubbles up naturally from the seafloor, with Earth giving it up freely like it was of no value. Likewise, NASA satellites collect thousands of images and 1.5 terrabytes of data every year, but some of it gets passed over because no one thinks there is a use for it.
    and the title:

    Oil In Ocean Shows Up On NASA Images: Half Of The Oil In The Ocean Bubbles Up Naturally From Seafloor
    From the page:

    Story Source:

    The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by NASA/Goddard Space Flight Center.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yeah, we realize that. Do you realize that most of the people who buy that seafood work in the oilfield? Gotta have customers to sell your product.
    That's flat-out false. Who is the major consumer of seafood in the gulf region? Tourist areas. Trust me, the tourists don't enjoy the oil fields, or the areas that are being despoiled by the oil leak.

  4. #154
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm not over exaggerating the fallout from the moratorium.
    You've done nothing but that this entire thread. Thousands of jobs from 33 wells. Hilarious.

  5. #155
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    You've done nothing but that this entire thread. Thousands of jobs from 33 wells. Hilarious.
    According to the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association:

    Each drilling platform averages 90 to 140 employees at any one time (2 shifts per day), and 180 to 280 for 2 2-week shifts. Each E&P job supports 4 other positions. Therefore, 800 to 1400 jobs per idle rig platform are at risk. Wages for those jobs average $1,804/weekly; potential for lost wages is huge, over $5 to $10 million for 1 month – per platform. Wages lost could be over $165 to $330 million/month for all 33 platforms

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    CPD continues to show her ignorance of the oil and gas industry.

  7. #157
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,874

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    You might be pleasantly surprised. Want to put your money where your mouth is? Check out this website!

    Still Made in USA.com - American-Made Products for Home and Family

    I still don't see the link between wanting to pay the lowest price for a t-shirt and someone losing their oil platform job to a gov't induced drilling moratorium. If you could do me a favor and link them together, I'd appreciate it. Otherwise your argument makes no sense, at least to me.
    I was just babbling as usual. That's what I do when I'm not piddling, or being in the way.
    Thanks for the link though. Now to do some interwebz shopping!

  8. #158
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    A small portion? There will be a million jobs lost, along with a trillion dollars of investments in this country in the next five years, if the oil and gas industry is run out of the GOM.

    The tragedy, is that people actually think we are ready to stop using petroleum based fuels within the next few years. That's rediculous. However, politicians are going to push that agenda, no matter how much damage it does to the economy and the job market.
    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I'm not over exaggerating the fallout from the moratorium.
    Let me put it another way...

    You're over exaggerating the situation as it is presently in the GOM or what myself and others are saying who are in favor of maintaining the 6-month moriturium on deep water drilling.

    Nobody is saying we should stop ALL oil drilling in the GOM. That would be foolish! What we ARE saying is stop deep water drilling long enough to get a handle on our regulatory and engineering situations because clearly BOTH are so far out of wack it's ridiculous!!

    As we're seeing and as what has been reported via Congressional hearings, no major U.S. oil company is prepared to handle a major oil spill of this magnitude no matter where it occurs in deep waters off our nation's coasts. Moreover, our government bureacrats who were suppose to be looking out for our national and environmental interests in this matter dropped the ball by turning a blind eye on enforcing regulations. So, IMO, it just makes sense to take a pause, re-evaluate, and then come back when all the "T's" are crossed and the "I's" are dotted.

    As to the reality of the number of oil rig jobs that are being affected by the current oil spill...

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    According to the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association:

    Each drilling platform averages 90 to 140 employees at any one time (2 shifts per day), and 180 to 280 for 2 2-week shifts. Each E&P job supports 4 other positions. Therefore, 800 to 1400 jobs per idle rig platform are at risk. Wages for those jobs average $1,804/weekly; potential for lost wages is huge, over $5 to $10 million for 1 month – per platform. Wages lost could be over $165 to $330 million/month for all 33 platforms.
    That's the reality we're facing today*. Imagine how much worse things would be if two oil rigs suffered the same fate as Deepwater Horizon? How about three? Four? And not one of them is prepared to handle such a tragedy according to Congressional testimony by at least one major oil U.S. company executive, ExxonMobile CEO Rex Tillerson. Not one!

    The only good news that will come out of this tragic event is the efforts made by BP will go towards educating the (U.S.) oil industry on how to handle oil spills in deep water. I just hope neither the oil industry nor the federal goverment returns to being complacent on the matter. Otherwise, history WILL repeat itself. Remember: This isn't the first major oil spill to happen in the GOM. It just took 30 years before the next one occurred.

    *Note: The figures NolaMan quoted for jobs lost from idle oil drilling rigs is over blown. The 2-week shift numbers still equate to 240 jobs because no matter how long the rigs operate they still employ the same people over an extended period of time. That's just like people being critical of the Obama Administration for tabulating "temporary" workers or those who were "rehired" as "new employees" when, in fact, they are the same people...they just got re-hired.

    2 shifts employ 280 oil rig workers (140 per shift) X 33 idle deepwater oil rigs = 9240 total employees

    Thousands of jobs lost, yes. But even that figure is based on ALL 33 deepwater oil rigs being active! I doubt that many oil rigs are sitting idle in the GOM right now from this moritorium, but those who think otherwise you're free to state your case.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 07-16-10 at 05:05 PM.

  9. #159
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Objective Voice View Post
    2 shifts employ 280 oil rig workers (140 per shift) X 33 idle deepwater oil rigs = 9240 total employees
    I wonder how many employees in tourist-related businesses in Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, and Florida have been put out of work because of the effects of deepwater? Just to put things in perspective...

  10. #160
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,763

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    I'm not even going to try to calculate that! The figures are staggering!!!

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •