Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 237

Thread: First rig sails away over drilling ban

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    I live in the oil business.
    Well, that explains all of your posts, and their unique focus.

    From someone who lives on the gulf and doesn't live in the oil business: Your business is now suspect. Your industry has ruined the lifes of millions of people on the gulf, and some areas of the gulf may never recover from the damage from this spill.

    Your posts are slanted in favor of your industry, and we're sick as hell of hearing the spin.

    love,

    Florida

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    As far as the hyperbole in this thread...the administration's current ban is ONLY on deepwater drilling. ONLY DEEPWATER DRILLING. All oil drilling in the gulf has not been halted, in fact, deepwater wells represent only a small percentage of gulf drilling. I'm sick as hell of hearing this scenario represented as a massive loss of jobs, when in fact, deepwater wells SHOULD be halted at this point in time, because of the possible risks.

    Gulf of Mexico has many deepwater wells | The Columbus Dispatch

    Do you know how many wells are actually impacted by this act by Obama?

    33.

    We're exaggerating 50,000 jobs lost over 33 wells. Do you really think those 33 wells comprised 50,000 jobs?

    Do you know how many wells there actually are in the gulf???? Tens of thousands.

    Abandoned oil wells make Gulf of Mexico 'environmental minefield' | Business | The Guardian

    There are 27,000 abandoned wells in the gulf already, not to mention the 3,858 working wells.

    and, we're acting like the sky is falling because 33 deepwater wells have been shut down.

    Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
    Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 07-14-10 at 12:22 AM.

  3. #103
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,198

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Go ahead and go back and reread EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME I QUOTED it as the first oil spill of this size in the Gulf in US waters. Where the **** else would I be comparing it to? The persian Gulf? I don't give a **** what Mexico does. They don't go by the same regulations. It's called comparing apples to apples.

    You're just mad because you're wrong and I'm right.
    I APOLOGIZE FOR SHOUTING!!!

    Actually, Ixtoc I was very similar except that it was less than 200 feet below water and it took them 10 months to stop that one.

    But please indulge me since you made the claim, what differnce in regulations is there between 1979 Mexico and 2010 USA?

    How does that make it incomparable?
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #104
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Catz, why are you so stingily bitter with people who work *for* the industry as a mere employee - when none of these people you're directly dealing with, here, were in the position to actually stop these problems, alter the rocky path that BP was following or otherwise change anything - let alone be privy to it?

    It's not like Don'tWorry et al actually made the decisions that led up to this catastrophe. He wasn't there to oversee operations and he didn't pencil in his own reviews.

    Like I said the other day - you're taking your anger and just blasting everyone with it with no rhyme or reason.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Catz, why are you so stingily bitter with people who work *for* the industry as a mere employee - when none of these people you're directly dealing with, here, were in the position to actually stop these problems, alter the rocky path that BP was following or otherwise change anything - let alone be privy to it?

    It's not like Don'tWorry et al actually made the decisions that led up to this catastrophe. He wasn't there to oversee operations and he didn't pencil in his own reviews.

    Like I said the other day - you're taking your anger and just blasting everyone with it with no rhyme or reason.
    While still filling her gas tank every time it gets thirsty, I might add. And running those lights. And using those plastic products. Etc, etc

  6. #106
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Redneck Riviera
    Last Seen
    07-09-11 @ 06:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,728

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Catz, why are you so stingily bitter with people who work *for* the industry as a mere employee - when none of these people you're directly dealing with, here, were in the position to actually stop these problems, alter the rocky path that BP was following or otherwise change anything - let alone be privy to it?
    THis thread isn't about me. I provided you with the facts in regards to this moratorium, and of course, you could not rebut those. Feel free to attack me, it merely makes you look ridiculous.

  7. #107
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    Well, that explains all of your posts, and their unique focus.

    From someone who lives on the gulf and doesn't live in the oil business: Your business is now suspect. Your industry has ruined the lifes of millions of people on the gulf, and some areas of the gulf may never recover from the damage from this spill.

    Your posts are slanted in favor of your industry, and we're sick as hell of hearing the spin.

    love,

    Florida
    You hated the oil and gas industry, even before the spill. Speaking of spin-n-all.

    Love,

    All the other mother****ers that had their lives ruined by the spill.

    Why ruin some peoples live, when you can ruin them all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #108
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    This oil spill, by the way, is Obama's Overton Window - he's using it as his golden opportunity to get done what he wanted. Without the spill going on and without people being stirred and demanding action he wouldn't have such an easy job of gathering support.
    Yeah, I frankly wouldn't be surprised if he is happy to have something catastrophic to take him and all his crap out of the lime light for awhile.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  9. #109
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,465

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    Quote Originally Posted by Catz Part Deux View Post
    As far as the hyperbole in this thread...the administration's current ban is ONLY on deepwater drilling. ONLY DEEPWATER DRILLING. All oil drilling in the gulf has not been halted, in fact, deepwater wells represent only a small percentage of gulf drilling. I'm sick as hell of hearing this scenario represented as a massive loss of jobs, when in fact, deepwater wells SHOULD be halted at this point in time, because of the possible risks.

    Gulf of Mexico has many deepwater wells | The Columbus Dispatch

    Do you know how many wells are actually impacted by this act by Obama?

    33.

    We're exaggerating 50,000 jobs lost over 33 wells. Do you really think those 33 wells comprised 50,000 jobs?

    Do you know how many wells there actually are in the gulf???? Tens of thousands.

    Abandoned oil wells make Gulf of Mexico 'environmental minefield' | Business | The Guardian

    There are 27,000 abandoned wells in the gulf already, not to mention the 3,858 working wells.

    and, we're acting like the sky is falling because 33 deepwater wells have been shut down.

    Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?
    Do you know how many jobs one well supports? It's in the thousands. Welders, electricians, machinists, truck drivers, pipe fitters, the list is nearly endless.

    it's all good, though. We'll just ship those jobs overseas. It's not like we need more jobs here in the states. I hope you're not one of folks that supported the auto bailouts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #110
    Sage

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Huntsville, AL (USA)
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 10:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    9,766

    Re: First rig sails away over drilling ban

    It's interesting how this thread has turned from "hey, the moritorium is killing jobs" to "we only have 40-80 years of oil left" yet the real message has somehow gotten garbled in all of this:

    Protecting the environment.

    You see, as much as some argue that a small portion of the oil industry is suffering from the loss of jobs, the real issue is the ecological damage and economic impact caused by one major oil spill in deep waters along our nation's Gulf Coast.

    I do feel pity for those people who are restauranteers from fast-food to fine dining, hotel/motel owners/managers, small shop owners, fishermen of all types, those involved w/Gulf Coast tourism ventures, tourist, beach combers and any other entity financially affected by this oil spill. But mostly, I feel bad for we, the American people because when this catastrophy is all over and soon forgotten we'll allow politics to once again rule the day and return to how things were before the spill and no real regulatory reform or real enforcement will take place to prevent an incident like this from happening again. Moreover, we, as a nation WILL continue to rely on fossil fuels when instead what we should be doing is taking steps NOW to slowly but certainly wean ourselves off them in those areas that affect us the most, ie., our automobiles and energy industries.

    That's the real tragedy from this oil spill. We won't learn anything from this lesson.
    Last edited by Objective Voice; 07-14-10 at 11:21 PM.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •