Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 149

Thread: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

  1. #61
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I still don't understand how having a problem with the way the industry functions translates into it being "ok" for someone to just take what they want without paying for it.
    To be clear, I'm not saying it makes it okay, I'm just explaining the reasons why many people don't feel particularly bad about it.

    The problem *I* have with the industries is that they screw the artists out of *their* money. . . I have no problem support artists that I favor like Peter Steele (RIP), Trent Reznor, Rasputina and Henry Rollins - If I want their *items* I buy it from as close to source as possible if it's beyond my downloads.

    I'd rather pay money to own something in hopes that their earned and entitled meager cut gets to *them* - as they are due - rather than rob them of my that they will ultimately get in order to screw over their production company.

    Not all artists deal with devils in the industry - does anyone care when it comes to that? Do you support Independent artists who avoid the industry brouhaha purely on principle? Do you go out of your way to directly contribute to all venues that aren't fleecing or skimming off the top in effort to stand up against the industry itself?
    Of course. One of my favorite musicians was sick of record company bull****, so he decided to do hsi own project. Every single week for a year, he wrote, recorded, and released a new song to members of his website. For $25, you got 52 songs in any high qualify format you wanted with no DRM limitations. Thousands of people signed up, but I don't see a single copy of the music on any pirate site. People were more than happy to give the money directly to the artist when he responded to their needs. Another artist (who raises copyright issues himself with his music) makes it available as pay what you like from a small artist-run label.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  2. #62
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    One other thing - many of the policies that IP rules try to enforce don't seem to make much sense.

    Imagine that I want to watch an episode of Always Sunny. I can either turn on FX and watch it legally or go to a streaming TV site and watch it illegally. Why does FX want me to watch it on TV rather than online? Because there are commercials on TV and I'm forced to watch it at the time they want me to watch it. However, if I have a TiVo, I'm skipping those commercials and watching it whenever I want, the same way as if I watched it online. What policy does it really serve to make streaming online illegal when someone can "rob" the network of the exact same rights by legally using a TiVo?

    Additionally - one way that the vast majority of content-providing websites pay for their material is by placing ads on their sites. I use several adblockers, so I don't see any of those. Why is that legal? If the NYT pays its reporters salaries through ad revenue and I'm blocking their ads, aren't I just stealing their content? Yet despite that, nobody seems to have a problem with pop-up blockers.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #63
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    The law says it is a violation to make unauthorized copies of material available under copyright. This is the foundation on which creative people make a living.

    What I read here is a lot of self serving justifications for violations of that law and a suggestion that we premise an honor system based on people who entered the system through such violations of the law. After all, we can trust them of all people!

    What we have here is another example of the “something for nothing” crowd. We see it in the Tea Party followers who tell us they want an end to deficit spending but won't tolerate any discussion that taxes be raised or Medicare or Social Security or any other program that serves them be cut. We see it with Republicans demanding that all economic stimulus spending be paid for, even unemployment insurance extensions, but refuse to pay for Bush tax extenders. We see it in the demands by a Louisiana governor for unabated Gulf oil exploration even as he's demanding that the oil spill containment be stepped up. These people are living in Bizarro World.

    Rudy Giuliani prosecuted minor crime infractions and changed the culture in NYC. I say it's time to prosecute all copyright unauthorized copying violations, every last one. It wouldn't trouble me one bit to see many here owing thousands to the music, movie, video game and book industries.

    BTW, copyright law is too complicated and it, too, exists in Bizarro World. I offer as evidence the excellent film: Sita Sings The Blues. Now here's a film where the rights to make copies has been freely given away. Take the time to download the extras (available on the DVD image) and listen to Nina Paley describe her ordeals with archaic copyright law. It's an eye opener. I don't doubt that some people would want to use this condition as yet another justification for their violations but of course that's just more self serving dribble. Consider this, Nina Paley came to terms with copyright law difficult as it was.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  4. #64
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I still don't understand how having a problem with the way the industry functions translates into it being "ok" for someone to just take what they want without paying for it.

    The problem *I* have with the industries is that they screw the artists out of *their* money. . . I have no problem support artists that I favor like Peter Steele (RIP), Trent Reznor, Rasputina and Henry Rollins - If I want their *items* I buy it from as close to source as possible if it's beyond my downloads.

    I'd rather pay money to own something in hopes that their earned and entitled meager cut gets to *them* - as they are due - rather than rob them of my that they will ultimately get in order to screw over their production company.

    Not all artists deal with devils in the industry - does anyone care when it comes to that? Do you support Independent artists who avoid the industry brouhaha purely on principle? Do you go out of your way to directly contribute to all venues that aren't fleecing or skimming off the top in effort to stand up against the industry itself?

    Just because you feel *they're* screwing you doesn't mean that the artist you *do* like should be screwed *by* you in your process of throwing a entertainment hissy fit.
    Funny you should mention Trent Reznor, "So I'd be surprised if he could legally authorize fans to "steal it," as he instructed attendees at a recent concert in Sydney, Australia."

    "Reznor's eagerness to share the record with fans hasn't been confined to Australia, however. To promote the album, he leaked three tracks as MP3s, fully intending them to be passed around online. At the time he said the freebies were an attempt to boost sales, not crater them. Although his comments in Australia go further, they are in line with his previous remarks about the labels' greed and separation from music fans."

    Trent Reznor on CD prices | Bit Player | Los Angeles Times

    I am perfectly comfortable taking what I want because, the industry is using government to prop itself and it's prices up, they have to go outside of normal market conditions to earn a buck.
    No thanks, enticing government to use force for your benefit is not cool at any level.

    Not only that but it is said that many of the movie makers intentionally release early copies to judge movie sale projections, if they are doing that they have gave up control of ownership.

    The civil settlements used against uploaders have been ridiculous.
    Charging people thousands of dollars for uploading a handful of songs, that aren't worth it on a per song level.

    Lastly, trying to get government to require even more DRM in our consumer electronics, I don't want to lose control over things I pay money for, they are supposed to be mine.

    It's retaliation against their moronic and abusive behavior.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 06-27-10 at 03:26 PM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #65
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    The law says it is a violation to make unauthorized copies of material available under copyright. This is the foundation on which creative people make a living.

    What I read here is a lot of self serving justifications for violations of that law and a suggestion that we premise an honor system based on people who entered the system through such violations of the law. After all, we can trust them of all people!

    What we have here is another example of the “something for nothing” crowd. We see it in the Tea Party followers who tell us they want an end to deficit spending but won't tolerate any discussion that taxes be raised or Medicare or Social Security or any other program that serves them be cut. We see it with Republicans demanding that all economic stimulus spending be paid for, even unemployment insurance extensions, but refuse to pay for Bush tax extenders. We see it in the demands by a Louisiana governor for unabated Gulf oil exploration even as he's demanding that the oil spill containment be stepped up. These people are living in Bizarro World.

    Rudy Giuliani prosecuted minor crime infractions and changed the culture in NYC. I say it's time to prosecute all copyright unauthorized copying violations, every last one. It wouldn't trouble me one bit to see many here owing thousands to the music, movie, video game and book industries.

    BTW, copyright law is too complicated and it, too, exists in Bizarro World. I offer as evidence the excellent film: Sita Sings The Blues. Now here's a film where the rights to make copies has been freely given away. Take the time to download the extras (available on the DVD image) and listen to Nina Paley describe her ordeals with archaic copyright law. It's an eye opener. I don't doubt that some people would want to use this condition as yet another justification for their violations but of course that's just more self serving dribble. Consider this, Nina Paley came to terms with copyright law difficult as it was.
    It's funny how people like you are more than willing to toss someone under the bus for copyright infringement.
    Social justice my ass.

    You're authoritarians to the core.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #66
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    It's funny how people like you are more than willing to toss someone under the bus for copyright infringement.
    Social justice my ass.

    You're authoritarians to the core.
    Darn people thinking laws mean something.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #67
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Darn people thinking laws mean something.
    So you're cool with gay marriage not being legal right?

    It is the law after all.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #68
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    So you're cool with gay marriage not being legal right?

    It is the law after all.
    Gay marriage and stealing are not quite the same thing. Nice try though.

    I suppose you support bootlegging being legal, right?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #69
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Gay marriage and stealing are not quite the same thing. Nice try though.

    I suppose you support bootlegging being legal, right?
    Who said anything about stealing?

    You said, "Darn people thinking laws mean something."
    I sounds like you're more interested in following laws, whether or not, they make sense to follow.

    No I don't necessarily support bootlegging, unless the person doing it adds value to it.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #70
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    The law says it is a violation to make unauthorized copies of material available under copyright. This is the foundation on which creative people make a living.

    What I read here is a lot of self serving justifications for violations of that law and a suggestion that we premise an honor system based on people who entered the system through such violations of the law. After all, we can trust them of all people!
    I don't see anyone saying this.

    What we have here is another example of the “something for nothing” crowd. We see it in the Tea Party followers who tell us they want an end to deficit spending but won't tolerate any discussion that taxes be raised or Medicare or Social Security or any other program that serves them be cut. We see it with Republicans demanding that all economic stimulus spending be paid for, even unemployment insurance extensions, but refuse to pay for Bush tax extenders. We see it in the demands by a Louisiana governor for unabated Gulf oil exploration even as he's demanding that the oil spill containment be stepped up. These people are living in Bizarro World.
    Let's not make the least political issue I can think of into a conservative-liberal name calling battle.


    Rudy Giuliani prosecuted minor crime infractions and changed the culture in NYC. I say it's time to prosecute all copyright unauthorized copying violations, every last one. It wouldn't trouble me one bit to see many here owing thousands to the music, movie, video game and book industries.
    When you say "prosecute," exactly what do you mean? 99.9+% of copyright infringement is a civil, not criminal matter.

    BTW, copyright law is too complicated and it, too, exists in Bizarro World. I offer as evidence the excellent film: Sita Sings The Blues. Now here's a film where the rights to make copies has been freely given away. Take the time to download the extras (available on the DVD image) and listen to Nina Paley describe her ordeals with archaic copyright law. It's an eye opener. I don't doubt that some people would want to use this condition as yet another justification for their violations but of course that's just more self serving dribble. Consider this, Nina Paley came to terms with copyright law difficult as it was.
    And it makes a compelling argument for reforming it.

    Again, can anyone explain why TiVo and Adblocker are legal while streaming a TV show online is not?
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 06-27-10 at 03:44 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •