Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 48

Thread: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling companies

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Does not matter Salazar said he will reinstate it.

    Salazar seeks to reimpose drilling moratorium

    Interior Secretary Ken Salazar says he will issue a new order imposing a moratorium on deepwater drilling after a federal judge struck down the existing one.

    Salazar said in a statement Tuesday evening that the new order will contain additional information making clear why the six-month drilling pause was necessary in the wake of the Gulf oil spill. The judge in New Orleans who struck down the moratorium earlier in the day complained there wasn't enough justification for it.

  2. #22
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    Look at all of the apologists coming out to defend this judge.

    There is a clear conflict of interest. His ruling on the moratorium should be voided and reviewed by a different judge who doesn't have a history with the oil companies.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #23
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Does not matter Salazar said he will reinstate it.

    Salazar seeks to reimpose drilling moratorium

    Interior Secretary Ken Salazar says he will issue a new order imposing a moratorium on deepwater drilling after a federal judge struck down the existing one.

    Salazar said in a statement Tuesday evening that the new order will contain additional information making clear why the six-month drilling pause was necessary in the wake of the Gulf oil spill. The judge in New Orleans who struck down the moratorium earlier in the day complained there wasn't enough justification for it.
    Bogus, he cites safety reasons, but ignores that his own department stated all rigs had no real safety problems after reinspection.

    Then, Gibbs says Obama believes that until investigations can determine why the spill happened, continued deepwater drilling exposes workers and the environment to "a danger that the president does not believe we can afford.... ignoring that his own department has issued a report saying they are fine.

  4. #24
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    Bogus, he cites safety reasons, but ignores that his own department stated all rigs had no real safety problems after reinspection.

    Then, Gibbs says Obama believes that until investigations can determine why the spill happened, continued deepwater drilling exposes workers and the environment to "a danger that the president does not believe we can afford.... ignoring that his own department has issued a report saying they are fine.
    I'm really looking forward to the explanation for that.

    Salazar Launches Safety and Environmental Protection Reforms to Toughen Oversight of Offshore Oil and Gas Operations

    Secretary Salazar has undertaken several initiatives in response to BPs spill, including:

    -Ordered immediate inspections of all deepwater operations in the Gulf of Mexico. The inspections of deepwater drilling rigs found Incidents of Non-Compliance (INC) on two rigs. Those violations were corrected and no other violations were found.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #25
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Then the case couldn't be heard.....because everyone who invests has money in oil in one way or another.

    A cheap evasion.

  6. #26
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    06-30-10 @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by jallman View Post
    No, and in fact, in looking at the report, he owned the stocks in 2008, it isn't even clear if he still owns them or not, and his stake in each company was in the "less than $15k" range.

    He has no need to recuse himself.

    It isn't clear that he doesn't either, so the potential impropriety remains. 15k is a lot of money to me and he had at least 4 sets of potential conflict or as much as 60k. That seems enough to be concerned about. Plus, if you can't be sure if he still owns it, as you say, how can you be sure he doesn't own more by now?

  7. #27
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by pans trogladyta View Post
    It isn't clear that he doesn't either, so the potential impropriety remains. 15k is a lot of money to me and he had at least 4 sets of potential conflict or as much as 60k. That seems enough to be concerned about. Plus, if you can't be sure if he still owns it, as you say, how can you be sure he doesn't own more by now?
    When you are making $170,000 plus a year and have a large financial portfolio worth what I would assume is a lot more than $60,000, it is not really a substantial sum of money.

  8. #28
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by pans trogladyta View Post
    A cheap evasion.
    Simple economic fact. Nothing further to discuss.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #29
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by pans trogladyta View Post
    It isn't clear that he doesn't either, so the potential impropriety remains. 15k is a lot of money to me and he had at least 4 sets of potential conflict or as much as 60k. That seems enough to be concerned about. Plus, if you can't be sure if he still owns it, as you say, how can you be sure he doesn't own more by now?
    FWIW, the way that these disclosure forms work is that they require you to disclose the value of your investments only as a range. When it says "under $15,000," that could (and where forms list dozens of companies, frequently does) mean that the amount being held is rather trivial.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Judge who overturned drilling moratorium reported owning stock in drilling compan

    Quote Originally Posted by pans trogladyta View Post
    It isn't clear that he doesn't either, so the potential impropriety remains. 15k is a lot of money to me and he had at least 4 sets of potential conflict or as much as 60k. That seems enough to be concerned about. Plus, if you can't be sure if he still owns it, as you say, how can you be sure he doesn't own more by now?
    Anyone who has any investment portfolio recognizes that this isn't even an issue. 15k in any one publicly traded company isn't even a half a percent stake in the company. It isn't even a 10th of a percent and most companies wouldn't even be 100th of a percent. I think it was RightinNYC who pointed out a valid point here: he only stands to make or lose a few hundred dollars and that's even if his decision were to affect the stock price within a vacuum absent all other market forces.

    So no, this is a non-issue to anyone who understands how an investment portfolio is made up. Move along people, nothing to see here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •