Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 47 of 47

Thread: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

  1. #41
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Now a National Review article dated June 25, 2010

    Ahhh the ol' mythical 'they', kinda like 'some people say'.

    First he says the president says 'we', then he backpedals to the ambiguous 'they'.

    Who's lying? Kyl's the crawfish....
    Jon Kyl walks back White House border story. Too little, too late. | The Political Carnival

    More proof that Kyl was lying.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    Quote Originally Posted by FilmFestGuy View Post
    I keep suggesting people not put much stock in talk that can't be supported. But the desire to believe too often trumps evidence.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #43
    Guru
    deltabtry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    MA.
    Last Seen
    11-26-16 @ 03:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    4,021

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I keep suggesting people not put much stock in talk that can't be supported. But the desire to believe too often trumps evidence.
    Well here is my two cents worth, I find it hard to believe that Kyl would just come out in public and lie knowing very well he would be put under a microscope. I bet Obama perhaps had eluded to what Kyle accused him of, or perhaps Kyl emblished a bit. One way or the other where there is smoke there is fire and I wouldn't be surprises if Obama said such a thing. That said I have no proof one way or the other but I watch Obama's actions and it seems to fall right in line to what Kyl claims he said.

  4. #44
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    It's easy to figure out who's lying by asking, who benefits from the lie? Obama benefits as he doesn't want to be seen as negligent at securing the border. Kyl has nothing to gain by lying. Simple.
    Sure he does. He makes Obama look bad, that helps him out.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    [QUOTE=BWG;1058824249]Now a National Review article dated June 25, 2010



    Nice try but you take it out of context.


    Kyl Puts Border Remarks in New Context - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

    In the meeting with Tea Party members, the senator said he and the president were alone at the White House and – giving his audience a belated fly-on-the-wall moment – Mr.Kyl confided, “Here’s what the president said: ‘The problem is,’ he said, ‘if we secure the border, then you all won’t have any reason to support comprehensive immigration reforms.” Mr. Kyl, the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, continued, “In other words, they’re holding it hostage. They don’t want to secure the borders unless and until it is combined with comprehensive immigration reform.”

    While the video has those remarks and more, on Friday the conservative National Review Online reported that Mr. Kyl said in an interview that he had been quoted out of context.

    According to the magazine’s Web site:

    Kyl tells us that the comments were “taken a bit out of context,” and that the “they” he was referring to was the left, “the president’s base,” and not the administration. “I did not try to start a fight. This meeting happened a month ago and we were talking in the context of his political problems. He was talking about how they think that if we secure the border, you guys [Republicans] won’t have the incentive to work on comprehensive immigration reform.”

    After a week of debate in the blogosphere about who is telling the truth – Mr. Kyl or the White House – that ought to clear things up.

  6. #46
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    Quote Originally Posted by deltabtry View Post
    Well here is my two cents worth, I find it hard to believe that Kyl would just come out in public and lie knowing very well he would be put under a microscope. I bet Obama perhaps had eluded to what Kyle accused him of, or perhaps Kyl emblished a bit. One way or the other where there is smoke there is fire and I wouldn't be surprises if Obama said such a thing. That said I have no proof one way or the other but I watch Obama's actions and it seems to fall right in line to what Kyl claims he said.
    What's the real risk? Nothing can be proven. And he can claim being picked on. And it's not like this isn't done by all sides. The best claim to make is one no one can DISPROVE. The faithful will always believe it.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #47
    Professor

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Last Seen
    11-21-14 @ 03:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    2,120

    Re: Who's Lying? White House Denies Kyl's Immigration Story

    [QUOTE=ptif219;1058824526]
    Quote Originally Posted by BWG View Post
    Now a National Review article dated June 25, 2010



    Nice try but you take it out of context.


    Kyl Puts Border Remarks in New Context - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

    In the meeting with Tea Party members, the senator said he and the president were alone at the White House and – giving his audience a belated fly-on-the-wall moment – Mr.Kyl confided, “Here’s what the president said: ‘The problem is,’ he said, ‘if we secure the border, then you all won’t have any reason to support comprehensive immigration reforms.” Mr. Kyl, the second-ranking Republican in the Senate, continued, “In other words, they’re holding it hostage. They don’t want to secure the borders unless and until it is combined with comprehensive immigration reform.”

    While the video has those remarks and more, on Friday the conservative National Review Online reported that Mr. Kyl said in an interview that he had been quoted out of context.

    According to the magazine’s Web site:

    Kyl tells us that the comments were “taken a bit out of context,” and that the “they” he was referring to was the left, “the president’s base,” and not the administration. “I did not try to start a fight. This meeting happened a month ago and we were talking in the context of his political problems. He was talking about how they think that if we secure the border, you guys [Republicans] won’t have the incentive to work on comprehensive immigration reform.”

    After a week of debate in the blogosphere about who is telling the truth – Mr. Kyl or the White House – that ought to clear things up.
    WTF? So he suggests that Obama said something, but then claims that - "Oh, not him. People who like him. His base."

    Unless he said up front that he meant certain voters, then he's lying.

    I bet I can find some crazy things some of Kyl's voters think and if I simply put on a website that that means Kyl thinks them, too - or worse, said them - I'd probably get sued.

    But because he's a Republican in this day and age, he can lie away and then claim "context". I meant just "his base", not him personally.

    Once again, the party that claims personal responsibility backs away from it when faced with it.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •