Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

  1. #1
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate - The Hill's Healthwatch

    The House on Tuesday shot down legislation to repeal one of the most controversial elements of the Democrats' healthcare reform law: the requirement that most Americans purchase healthcare coverage.
    Rep. Dave Camp (R-Mich.), who offered the bill as an amendment to a larger tax bill for small businesses, said the insurance mandate "violates basic principles of freedom and individual choice."
    "No American should be forced to purchase health insurance they don’t want and can’t afford," Camp, the senior Republican on the Ways and Means Committee, said just before the vote.
    He wasn't persuasive enough. The vote was 230 to 187 to kill the amendment, with 21 Democrats and one Republican crossing party lines.
    Though opposed by candidate Barack Obama in the runup to the 2008 presidential election, the individual mandate evolved into a cornerstone of the Democrats' health reform law, enacted in March. The mandate takes effect in 2014.
    Supporters have argued that getting millions more Americans into insurance pools is necessary to keep coverage affordable for the sickest people. But critics, including a number of state attorneys general, have challenged the mandate's constitutionality.


  2. #2
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,953

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    I think the Republicans did this so that the can point at Democrat incumbents who voted for the bill and then voted to prevent this repeal of the insurance mandate. It was a political move for the November elections.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. -Socrates
    Tired of elections being between the lesser of two evils.

  3. #3
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    The healthcare mandate is required in the bill because it is one of the "triggers" that will help to bring healthcare under federal control over time. This is why the progressive Democrats want it to stay in the plan.

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,744

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
    The healthcare mandate is required in the bill because it is one of the "triggers" that will help to bring healthcare under federal control over time. This is why the progressive Democrats want it to stay in the plan.
    Actually the mandate does the opposite.

    Without the mandate, insurance companies would have to take patients with pre-existing conditions but wouldn't be able to compensate with millions of new healthy people that the mandate brings. Premiums would shoot up, causing more people to drop the insurance, leaving a sicker-on-average group of insurees... raising premiums further and so on. This would cause a collapse of the health insurance industry, which would bring people to clamor for government intervention. Either the GOP doesn't understand this or they're just trying to score cheap political points.

    But we can go with your vague conspiracy theories instead if you want. Those dang Democrats just want the government to control everything, just for the heck of it!
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-17-10 at 05:51 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Actually the mandate does the opposite.

    Without the mandate, insurance companies would have to take patients with pre-existing conditions but wouldn't be able to compensate with millions of new healthy people that the mandate brings. Premiums would shoot up, causing more people to drop the insurance, leaving a sicker-on-average group of insurees... raising premiums further and so on. This would cause a collapse of the health insurance industry, which would bring people to clamor for government intervention. Either the GOP doesn't understand this or they're just trying to score cheap political points.

    But we can go with your vague conspiracy theories instead if you want. Those dang Democrats just want the government to control everything, just for the heck of it!
    Uh, if it is mandated that everyone must have an insurance plan, and employers are not forced to provide, AND many Americans cannot afford to purchase a plan, or, like my healthy self, they refuse to purchase one, how will we be provided one?

    Not so much a "conspiracy" as it will be a reality.
    Last edited by Telecaster; 06-17-10 at 07:02 PM.

  6. #6
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Telecaster View Post
    Uh, if it is mandated that everyone must have an insurance plan, and employers are not forced to provide, AND many Americans cannot afford to purchase a plan, or, like my healthy self, they refuse to purchase one, how will we be provided one?

    Not so much a "conspiracy" as it will be a reality.
    If they can't afford one, they'll be given public assistance to do so. If they just simply refuse to purchase one, then they'll be punished just as they normally would for breaking the law.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  7. #7
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,330

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    If they can't afford one, they'll be given public assistance to do so. If they just simply refuse to purchase one, then they'll be punished just as they normally would for breaking the law.
    IOW, "steal from the 'haves' and give to the deadbeat class".

    Wealth redistribution, anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #8
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    I think the Republicans did this so that the can point at Democrat incumbents who voted for the bill and then voted to prevent this repeal of the insurance mandate. It was a political move for the November elections.
    Politics over substance and the good of the country. As this was originally a republican idea, and something that must be if the other reforms are to hold, it is just more siliness.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #9
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    IOW, "steal from the 'haves' and give to the deadbeat class".
    Yeah, obviously people who work low-paying jobs, or are laid off, or are in college, or are self-employed are "the deadbeat class." Do you listen to yourself?
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  10. #10
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,728

    Re: House shoots down GOP effort to repeal individual insurance mandate

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    IOW, "steal from the 'haves' and give to the deadbeat class".

    Wealth redistribution, anyone?
    I agree with you that it is wealth distribution, and I don't want it either. However, your depiction of the poor as deadbeats is totally classless. Here in Houston, I see a lot of families in which the husband is humping his butt 12 hours a day or more, with 2 jobs, trying to feed his family on minimum wage. Now, while I understand his plight, I still think it is theft for the government to take money from some and give it to others. But only the worst kind of low-class snob would make the kind of blanket statement you just did.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •