Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 135

Thread: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Ok James let's put our personal experiences against each other.

    I've been living on the gulf coast all my life. My entire immediate and extended family work for the oil industry in some reguard. My father has worked for the MMS for almost 40 years. (actually it became the MMS in the early 80s but since you know everything you knew that already.) He approved the boats BP is using on the site, he has spent 2 weeks in Houston at the crisis center and personally knows about half of the people that were on the TV show "the crisis in the gulf" last night. He spent weeks in the command center approving their ideas to try to get this under control. I have lived this life since birth, my father is one of the most respected petroleum engineers on the gulf coast.

    So what are your qualifications to call me stupid? I have a feeling you will know you've been had here. If you don't then you can reread your insult to me and read it to the mirror because you've been spanked.

    What is a bop and how does it work? What two systems operate it? What is drilling mud? What is it made of? What is casing? How do you run it? What's a kick? What causes it? I would spank you in a debate boy. You are clueless man. You done been bad. Talking about "what if another one fails?" You don't even know what failed so stop before you embarass yourself further. As the saying goes, "here's your sign."

    You FAIL.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 06-20-10 at 08:21 PM.

  2. #72
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post
    Ok James let's put our personal experiences against each other.

    I've been living on the gulf coast all my life. My entire immediate and extended family work for the oil industry in some reguard. My father has worked for the MMS for almost 40 years. (actually it became the MMS in the early 80s but since you know everything you knew that already.) He approved the boats BP is using on the site, he has spent 2 weeks in Houston at the crisis center and personally knows about half of the people that were on the TV show "the crisis in the gulf" last night. He spent weeks in the command center approving their ideas to try to get this under control. I have lived this life since birth, my father is one of the most respected petroleum engineers on the gulf coast.
    .
    Your family's oil experience it has no relation to the fact the companies that run the rigs have no contingency plan to fix such leaks. So yes you you are a ****en idiot for pretending as though no oil well could leak and cause a massive environmental.


    So what are your qualifications to call me stupid? I have a feeling you will know you've been had here. If you don't then you can reread your insult to me and read it to the mirror because you've been spanked.

    What is a bop and how does it work? What two systems operate it? What is drilling mud? What is it made of? What is casing? How do you run it? What's a kick? What causes it? I would spank you in a debate boy. You are clueless man. You done been bad. Talking about "what if another one fails?" You don't even know what failed so stop before you embarass yourself further. As the saying goes, "here's your sign."

    You FAIL.
    You should change your user name from "dontworrybehappy" to "GermanPornStar'smouth" seeing how you are full of crap just like a german porn stars mouth. Most reasonable people would find it troubling that out of the 40,000+ rigs in the gulf there not one contingency plan to fix oil well leaks in a timely manner,so anyone one those rigs is just a disaster waiting to happen. Everything fails sooner or later,so its not a matter of what if the shut off valves fail but when they fail. So all that knowledge your family may have about the oil rigs doesn't mean anything, what matters is can such leaks be fixed in at timely manner.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #73
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, you're wrong, because the oil companies care more about the little folks than the government does.

    What's Obama going to do? Swoop in this time next year and brag about how he saved all the unemployed oilfield hands that he put out of work? Gimme a break!
    No they don't. . . the oil companies don't give a flying **** about anyone - I think it's obviously, now. . . they only pretend to care when something happens and they lose money.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Aunt Spiker, how many oil companies have you ever dealt with? To say that ALL oil companies don't care about people because of one's behavior is ludicrous. Why is it ok for you to say that, but I can't say that ALL liberals suck because at least one supports partial birth abortion? If we can't lump everyone into one barrel neither can you or anyone else.

    Yes, I agree that oil companies should have a plan but when you've been drilling in the Gulf for 60 years and NEVER had a BOP fail, after all the BOP is THE PLAN, what would you expect? I think there will be massive changes in the Gulf, which their should be.

    I'm not saying anything about oil companies not needing to come up with some kind of plan. I'm saying that you don't shut everything down until they do. After all, the last airliner disaster which killed 4 times as many people as this did was caused by pilot error/incompetence. You didn't see the FAA shutting down all airlines until a plan of some sort was put in place to ensure that pilots don't screw up in the future. Why not?

    If BP did cut corners, someone should go to PRISON for this. You can't blame anyone but the people who did it for what happened. Do you blame a cop for not stopping you when you speed and wreck your car? No, it's up to YOU to do the right thing. The feds can only inspect so often and so much. Obama had NOTHING to do with this happening. Bush had nothing to do with this happening. BP HAD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH THIS HAPPENING. Don't worry, I think some people are going to prison over this. Just hang tight. Let's capture all of the leaking oil first before we worry about criminal investigations. I think we should offer the first ones willing to talk immunity from prosecution if they spit out what the **** was going on on that rig. When you have rig workers taking out wills before going offshore to work on it just before the blowout, SOMEONE KNEW SOME **** WAS GOING ON. We need to find out who and what. If everyone is scared to talk we won't know anything. SOMEONE has to be offered incentive to talk. Even if it's the one who did it. If he's the first to want to come clean, ok.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 06-20-10 at 10:19 PM.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    ooohhhhhhh, it's all about sacrifice, huh? I dunno, I'm not seeing all that self sacrifice out of the banking and auto industries.

    More reliable safegaurds in place, eh? That's funny, since there hasn't been a single Leftward swinging dick raise the question about why the ****ing triple redundancy BOP failed. But, hey! We all know why none of you have. Ignorance and politics are to blame.

    IMO, stupidity reigns supreme among the Leftists, these days.
    No, you didn't. And I for one think we should have. But if you think this compaining is going to hurt the president, it is nothing compared to what he'd have seen had he not helped the banks, and especially the auto industry, which would have had an even larger effect.

    And stupidity is not limited to any one party.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #76
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,110

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    When a plane crashes you don't shut down all the airlines while you investigate the cause. We don't shut down our school system when a bus is in an accident.
    Obama is pandering to the far left and is going to totally ruin our economy. What he should be doing is tightening regulations. He should be insisting that all rigs have at least two relief wells instead of none. This would create tens of thousands of jobs instead of destroying jobs. This ban, if it lasts very long will cause these oil companies to pick up and leave, never to return. The need for oil is not going away anytime soon. I prefer we use our own and keep the money here and out of the hands of our enemies. Drill baby drill. Someones going to anyway. Why not us?
    He is wasting this crisis. He should be using it to create jobs.
    I love this argument.... They will ground all of a particular class of airplane or an airline if an initial accident investigation suggests a design flaw or sloppy maintenance practices. We had sloppy approval practices that the MMS. It isn't unreasonable to stop all deep, off-shore drilling. No one is pandering to the far left or ruining the US economy. The suspension of offshore drilling has far, far, far less economic impact than had we not bailed out Detroit... so, hopefully, as a matter of consistency you are not making the economic impact argument here and were all against the Detroit bailout there....

    That all said, a better approach would be an immediate and thorough government audit of all deep offshore drilling activities with a quick trigger on license suspensions for any significant violations.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 06-21-10 at 01:20 AM.

  7. #77
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,110

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by dontworrybehappy View Post

    I'm not saying anything about oil companies not needing to come up with some kind of plan. I'm saying that you don't shut everything down until they do. After all, the last airliner disaster which killed 4 times as many people as this did was caused by pilot error/incompetence. You didn't see the FAA shutting down all airlines until a plan of some sort was put in place to ensure that pilots don't screw up in the future. Why not?
    Of course airlines are not grounded for pilot error, as pilot error rests with the individual pilot... and the matter is not likely to repeat as, well, the matter took care of itself. The FAA, however, has and will ground airlines or particular models of airplanes, pending investigation, when faulty maintenance practices or design problems are found or suspected based upon the initial accident investigation.

  8. #78
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,110

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, you're wrong, because the oil companies care more about the little folks than the government does.
    That's just twisted.... you actually think a foreign company cares about "the little people"? That just sounds wrong / naive to me.

    I guess this is all an argument about which is the greater evil, big government or big business. Given that the nature of a company in a free enterprise system is to maximize revenue and minimize cost, whereas in minimizing costs in an unchecked environment it tends toward exploitation versus the government, which is comprised of elected officials whose job it is to serve their specific constituencies (though, if left unchecked it tends toward corruption), I think of government as a lesser evil than big business, simply because the check is more tangible.
    Last edited by upsideguy; 06-21-10 at 01:34 AM.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Of course airlines are not grounded for pilot error, as pilot error rests with the individual pilot... and the matter is not likely to repeat as, well, the matter took care of itself. The FAA, however, has and will ground airlines or particular models of airplanes, pending investigation, when faulty maintenance practices or design problems are found or suspected based upon the initial accident investigation.
    Well, that airliner had 2 pilots so it rested with both of them. And just like that crash, this blowout has to do ONLY with the individuals who were on the rig when it blew, not every single drilling company in the Gulf. The FAA takes YEARS to make a determination that a model of airplane is unsafe. No airplane model is grounded for a single accident, especially if that airplane had flown accident free for over 60 years prior, no matter how bad of a crash it was.

    So using your own words, you can't justify what Obama did with the 6 month moratorium.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 06-21-10 at 02:24 AM. Reason: rewording it to make it clearer

  10. #80
    Sage

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:55 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,940

    Re: Louisiana wants offshore drilling ban lifted

    From now on when ordering Gulf Coast shrimp get the 5-W20 the 10-W30 are tough to swallow and they give you that "bloated" feeling.
    It's nothing more than X's and O's.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •