Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

  1. #1
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 84% oppose a three percent (3%) tax on monthly cell phone bills to help newspapers and traditional journalism.
    Similarly, 76% oppose a proposed five percent tax on the purchase of consumer electronic items such as computers, iPads and Kindles to help support newspapers and traditional journalism. Seventy-four percent (74%) oppose the proposal to tax web sites like the Drudge Report to help the newspapers they draw their headlines from.
    Each of these ideas was suggested for consideration in a recent FTC report.
    Only 10% favor the tax on monthly cell phone bills to help newspapers and traditional journalism. Sixteen percent (16%) support the tax on consumer electronic devices, and 18% of Adults favor placing an additional tax on Internet news sites.
    Seventy-one percent (71%) oppose the creation of a taxpayer-funded program that would hire and pay young reporters to work for newspapers around the country. Fourteen percent (14%) support such a program, while 15% are undecided.
    74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers - Rasmussen Reports

    Does anyone else have a problem with the FTC believing that the best solutions are gov't paid reporters and news organizations??
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #2
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Taxing internet sights? You have got to be kidding me. The looming end of printed news media is an incentive for the papers to clean up the terrible mess they call reporting and fix their news. It is the competition with the internet that will drive them to get better. If they fail, then too bad. Why spend money to support something nobody really wants anymore.

  3. #3
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers - Rasmussen Reports

    Does anyone else have a problem with the FTC believing that the best solutions are gov't paid reporters and news organizations??
    Rasmussen isn't really giving a very good depiction of what the FTC report says. (This is not at all surprising.)
    http://www.ftc.gov/opp/workshops/new...discussion.pdf

    So to answer your question:
    "No because that's not what the FTC appears to believe."

    Edit to clarify: The FTC report is extremely neutral and discusses a very wide variety of topics and ideas.
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-08-10 at 03:24 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  4. #4
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Newspapers are dying because they are becoming irrelevant. Just like other old technology, no need to prop them up just delay the inevitable. In 20 years, there won't be any newspapers as we know them today.

  5. #5
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Rasmussen isn't really giving a very good depiction of what the FTC report says. (This is not at all surprising.)
    http://www.ftc.gov/opp/workshops/new...discussion.pdf

    So to answer your question:
    "No because that's not what the FTC appears to believe."

    Edit to clarify: The FTC report is extremely neutral and discusses a very wide variety of topics and ideas.
    Ahhh our Rezident Gov't Apologist has come in to say that Rasmussen is lying and really the FTC isn't really considering any such thing... trust them!

    I'll go to the New York Post for more insight:

    Instead, the FTC staff declares defeat in the search for business models so it may explore many government interventions, including:
    * Expanding copyright law and restricting the doctrine of fair comment to benefit legacy publishers.
    * Granting antitrust exemptions to allow publishers to collude on pricing to consumers and to business partners.
    * Giving news organizations tax exemptions.
    * Subsidizing news organizations by increasing government funding to public broadcasting; establishing an AmeriCorps to pay reporters; giving news companies tax credits for employing journalists; creating a national fund for local news, and giving the press an increased postal subsidy.
    To its credit, the FTC does ask how to pay for all this. So the staffers speculated about what I'll dub the iPad tax -- a 5 percent surcharge on consumer electronics to raise $4 billion for news. They also consider a tax on broadcast spectrum and even on advertising.
    Most dangerous of all, the FTC considers a doctrine of "proprietary facts," as if anyone should gain the right to restrict the flow of information just as the information is opening it up. Copyright law protects the presentation of news but no one owns facts -- and if anyone did, you could be forbidden from sharing them. How does that serve free speech?


    Read more: How NOT To Save the News Business--Jeff Jarvis - NYPOST.com
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Ahhh our Rezident Gov't Apologist has come in to say that Rasmussen is lying and really the FTC isn't really considering any such thing... trust them!

    I'll go to the New York Post for more insight:
    Or you could read the FTC report itself like I did. And maybe reread the thread so that you might notice I did not make any such claim about what I bolded there. Or you can just keep to the standard conservative tactic of exaggerating a liberal's post to create a straw man.

    Edit: And it's hilarious that you'd respond to my posting the actual report with an opinion piece from an online journalist.
    Last edited by Deuce; 06-08-10 at 03:46 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #7
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 06:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,740

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

  8. #8
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Or you could read the FTC report itself like I did. And maybe reread the thread so that you might notice I did not make any such claim about what I bolded there. Or you can just keep to the standard conservative tactic of exaggerating a liberal's post to create a straw man.
    So to answer your question:
    "No because that's not what the FTC appears to believe."
    I went to their PDF. I went to Rasmussen, I went to the NYPost.

    Only you are saying that isn't what they are saying. I will have to disagree with you, however you are free to carry on..
    So to answer your question:
    "No because that's not what the FTC appears to believe."

    Even though both your PDF, the poll and NYPost all disagree with you.
    Do you get paid by the day or the post?
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  9. #9
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend_Hellh0und View Post
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  10. #10
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: 74% Oppose Taxing Internet News Sites To Help Newspapers

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    I went to their PDF. I went to Rasmussen, I went to the NYPost.

    Only you are saying that isn't what they are saying. I will have to disagree with you, however you are free to carry on..
    So to answer your question:
    "No because that's not what the FTC appears to believe."

    Even though both your PDF, the poll and NYPost all disagree with you.
    Do you get paid by the day or the post?
    Why would a poll, the NYPost, or Rasmussen be good evidence of what the FTC says?
    The report also discusses copyright laws and fair use laws, "hot news" laws, antitrust laws, tax-exempt status, tax breaks for news organizations, non-profit news organizations, donations via tax returns, university grants, loans for new nonprofit news organizations, a tax on spectrum auctions, cost-reduction methods for printed media, allowing access to already-existing government-funded computing centers, and other things that Rasmussen and OpEd Man conveniently ignore. And when the FTC does discuss all of these things (including the taxes) it discusses them in a very neutral manner. It even points out that direct funding of journalism is undesirable because of the possibility of bias.

    So yeah, you're ignoring what the FTC is saying and focusing on what other people claim the FTC is saying.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •