Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 176

Thread: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

  1. #151
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    @TacticalEvilDan:

    Thank you very much for your support for my nation. I can't speak for all Germans, naturally, but personally, I consider it my responsibility keeping the memory of the immeasurable crimes committed in the name of my nation alife and never forget them. Not because of shame (I don't feel ashamed, because I am not personally responsible), but because of the responsible not to repeat these errors again. In fact, many of my political stances are at least partially based on this aspect of my national identity: Strong respect for inviolable human rights and a free political system, for example.

    I am very thankful that America, together with the other Western allies, liberated my country in 1945 and allowed us to build up a new Germany on the ruins of the old, with the intention of making it a free, democratic country with strong respect for civil and human rights. I think this has generally been successful, although of course there are shortcomings, like there are in any other free, democratic system. But I believe to know these shortcomings are not worse than elsewhere in the free world.

    I know there are ignorant Germans. There are also hateful Germans, bigoted or self-righteous. But in this case as well, I like to believe their number is not higher than in other free countries.

    Also, I am aware such people exist in America too. Some postings in this thread are a good documentation for that point. But I don't jump to the conclusion that most or even all Americans are like that, although I am yet a bit surprised how quickly they came out of the woods here, even without excessive baiting or provocation. I don't think my country or people is better than America and its people, although of course, I like my country, I am fond of it and when facing the choice, I would rather live in Germany than in the USA. But I don't think anybody could blame me for that, or take that as a basis for accusing me of suprematism.

    I will try to evaluate and answer arguments respectfully brought up here regardless of the person who advances them, or if his or her nationality. And I hope this favor will be returned. If I happen to be a dick after all some time, that's probably not meant as a nationalistic attack on my opponent's nationality, but directed at the individual regardless of nationality. :P
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  2. #152
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    @TacticalEvilDan:

    Thank you very much for your support for my nation. I can't speak for all Germans, naturally, but personally, I consider it my responsibility keeping the memory of the immeasurable crimes committed in the name of my nation alife and never forget them. Not because of shame (I don't feel ashamed, because I am not personally responsible), but because of the responsible not to repeat these errors again. In fact, many of my political stances are at least partially based on this aspect of my national identity: Strong respect for inviolable human rights and a free political system, for example.
    Rare is the nation that is without its own historical embarrassments. It is good to remember them so that, as with individual mistakes, we can learn and grow from them.

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I am very thankful that America, together with the other Western allies, liberated my country in 1945 and allowed us to build up a new Germany on the ruins of the old, with the intention of making it a free, democratic country with strong respect for civil and human rights.
    America has had its own key moments where the assistance or intervention of another nation shaped its history. We owe our very existence to the French, as much as many would care (or simply do not know) that fact.

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I think this has generally been successful, although of course there are shortcomings, like there are in any other free, democratic system. But I believe to know these shortcomings are not worse than elsewhere in the free world.
    Pretty much.

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I know there are ignorant Germans. There are also hateful Germans, bigoted or self-righteous. But in this case as well, I like to believe their number is not higher than in other free countries.

    Also, I am aware such people exist in America too. Some postings in this thread are a good documentation for that point. But I don't jump to the conclusion that most or even all Americans are like that, although I am yet a bit surprised how quickly they came out of the woods here, even without excessive baiting or provocation. I don't think my country or people is better than America and its people, although of course, I like my country, I am fond of it and when facing the choice, I would rather live in Germany than in the USA. But I don't think anybody could blame me for that, or take that as a basis for accusing me of suprematism.
    I hear you loud and clear.

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I will try to evaluate and answer arguments respectfully brought up here regardless of the person who advances them, or if his or her nationality. And I hope this favor will be returned. If I happen to be a dick after all some time, that's probably not meant as a nationalistic attack on my opponent's nationality, but directed at the individual regardless of nationality. :P
    That's good of you. Just be aware of the fact that your German nationality, or at least the fact that you exist somewhere in the Eurozone, is going to be used against you on a regular basis whether you take potshots at someone else's nationality or not.

    It's not fair, it's not right, and it's not particularly mature, but it's going to happen.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  3. #153
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    That's good of you. Just be aware of the fact that your German nationality, or at least the fact that you exist somewhere in the Eurozone, is going to be used against you on a regular basis whether you take potshots at someone else's nationality or not.

    It's not fair, it's not right, and it's not particularly mature, but it's going to happen.
    Thanks for your warning. I used to post on other websites with a dominantly American population before and I'm used to it. Most of the time, those were just more or less friendly attacks, nice and fun, nothing personal, just the obligatory Nazi joke here and there. I can live with that. And sometimes, there are more or less friendly attacks that contain a true core and may hit close to home, which made me think and learn. Most Americans can laugh about an occasional snippy remark about an American stereotype too.

    But I am sure that sometimes, I will encounter the harder cases too. I suspect Americans would encounter similar reactions if they posted on a German web board (which probably hardly ever happens, since there are many more Germans speaking English than vice versa :P). Usually, I don't take it personally and try not to take it too seriously either.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #154
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Just want to step in and say no harm was done, and I have no ill feelings. Yes, I think Zimmer's statements were rather ignorant and rude, but he's at least right when he says this kind of thing occurs on both sides of the ocean. I'm sure there are pretty ignorant and rude Germans too, who'd say similar things about the US.

    Anyway, I hope after this has settled, we can have a good debate. All nice and fun, and civil.
    Wow.. You are a classy guy
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  5. #155
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Most couldn't tell who the key players are, but I can tell you who they are, what party, their general platform, and their modern history. I'm even well enough versed to be able to rattle on about regional politics. Even obscure facts such as the state parliament in Schleswig-Holstein allowing the Danish based party to sit members that won seats even if they don't crack the 5% threshold.

    In fact, I would venture I know German politics, the German Press and Germany far better than most Germans.

    .
    I would love to create and have a game show: Who Knows Germany Better: Germans or Zimmer.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  6. #156
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but it's embarrassing to have a president that acts like a punk teenager looking for some ass to kick. I've never before seen a president who so consistently publicly chides citizens who don't agree with him, and acts like he's some kind of personal arbiter of good and bad. Jeez- are there any grown-ups running the country anymore?
    Er well there is Joe Biden, but at the moment he has decided to swan off and watch a Soccer Match in South Africa, go figure!

  7. #157
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002 View Post
    Politicians run the country.
    You think so?

  8. #158
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    05-13-11 @ 09:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    4,075
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    Or we could sit around flailing waiting for the "Gov't" to fix everything.

    40 years ago, when a Hurricane hit a city, people rebuilt. Now? They wait around for Uncle Sam to fix everything for them. See the problem there? Probably not.
    A Hurricane is a force of nature, neither Obama nor this Oil spill are natural occurances instead both are due to the actions of people.

  9. #159
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The Holocaust was over 6 decades ago. I'm pretty sure that the Germany of today is not the Germany of the 1930s.

    Besides, six decades ago, there were lots of places in the United States where being both black and out after sundown earned you a severe beating -- or worse. We're not ones to throw stones about recent history.

    So far as it goes with the Berlin Wall, that wasn't Germany's fault so much as it was a consequence of the fact that the United States and Russia divided the nation of Germany between themselves.

    Even were I wrong about all that, which I most definitely am not, that doesn't change the fact that what I said earlier is also right, and that you apparently are unable to address my argument on its own merit -- you're forced to set yourself up a straw man.

    Well, good luck with that sucker, but it won't keep the rooks out of the corn.
    Slavery ended over 150 decades ago and we still can't seem to hear the end of that; as German Guy has exhibited with accusations of racism, of people that he dosen't even know anything about. So save the, "the Germans are soooo much different people now", crap for someone who doesn't know any better.
    Last edited by apdst; 06-13-10 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #160
    You kids get off my lawn!
    Glinda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    06-11-11 @ 02:01 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,716

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Slavery ended over 150 decades ago and we still can't seem to hear the end of that; as German Guy has exhibited with accusations of racism, of people that he dosen't even know anything about. So save the, "the Germans are soooo much different people now", crap for someone who doesn't know any better.
    Slavery ended in 500 AD? Speaking of someone who doesn't know anyTHING....
    Last edited by Glinda; 06-13-10 at 12:26 PM.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •