Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 176

Thread: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

  1. #141
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,226

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    An American accusing a whole other society of ignorance -- that's hilarious.

    How many alarmingly craptacular survey and test results does our public education system have to produce, how far down the educational ladder do we have to fall in comparison to other nations, how many Americans have to say "no, I have no idea where that country is" on a survey before you figure out that no citizen of the United States has any grounds upon which to accuse a whole other society of ignorance?

    I'd be willing to hazard a guess that most of us couldn't name the principle figures in the German government without using Google, much less the structure of that government or its foundational documents, and yet the same is most likely not true of most Germans.

    Go ahead and keep telling yourself that anybody who disagrees with you is somehow inferior, ill-informed, or mentally infirm. I'm sure it must be a very comforting mantra.
    Are you seriously defending the same nation that brought us The Holocaust and the Berlin Wall? Really?!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #142
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you seriously defending the same nation that brought us The Holocaust and the Berlin Wall? Really?!?
    Does that mean now that an argument does not have merit because of its logical and factual soundness, but because of who advances it (or his nationality)?

    You know, if you were personally responsible for slavery, genocide on native Americans and a few other things your nation did, I might be inclined to attack you for that. But since you are most likely not, I don't see the point in it.

    If you want to engage in a nationalistic dick-size-competition, maybe you should start and show what you got. I'm not ready for that yet, though, because I have drunken way too few tonight and need to tank up some more before I'm down to that level.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #143
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    I'd be willing to hazard a guess that most of us couldn't name the principle figures in the German government without using Google, much less the structure of that government or its foundational documents, and yet the same is most likely not true of most Germans.
    This doesn't work. It's more akin to asking a German to name the state officials of Tennessee. Ok, a bigger more influential state but you get the point.


    Aren't we supposed to know the EU people? And what about the UN people? We need know those too, right? Europeans have more levels of government per square foot than we can possibly be expected to memorize. They're lucky we have any idea who's in charge over there. There's the short Frenchy (thank god he's not Italian), the dirty Spaniard, the pasty English dude, the goofy faced German chick... see? I'm educated.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-12-10 at 09:22 PM.

  4. #144
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    It's ironic that you would name FOX News of all sources as a good example for balanced quality media in the US. (Assuming you are not joking here -- although I'm inclined to believe you are, because nobody with a clear mind could possible be serious about it.)

    I think there is really not much I need to add, such a statement speaks volumes.
    I did not see Zimmer mention Fox News in his post... did I miss something?

  5. #145
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by NolaMan View Post
    I did not see Zimmer mention Fox News in his post... did I miss something?
    In fact you did. Maybe Zimmer didn't mention it here, but I had a PM exchange with him, and I think I am not breaking his confidence by telling you he did at least mention it there.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #146
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,313

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Fox is more balanced than MSNBC, and slightly less so than CNN. Joy Behar does conversatives justice. Even if you don't like O'Reilly, he's legit. I prefer Stewart and Colbert but let's not pretend that Fox is the worst of US basic cable news. Stuff like Huffington Post, MoveOn, etc etc etc... are right out. Town Hall and Weekly Standard are probably as bad as Huffington most days, and there are a few other right-wing hack rags but I'm not familiar with them.

    When it comes to radio, the libs have never managed a decent network thus the right dominates - badly. Newspaper, mostly lib but who reads them anyway.
    Last edited by ecofarm; 06-12-10 at 09:33 PM.

  7. #147
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    02-04-15 @ 11:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    808

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    In fact you did. Maybe Zimmer didn't mention it here, but I had a PM exchange with him, and I think I am not breaking his confidence by telling you he did at least mention it there.
    Good to know. Thanks.

  8. #148
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Fox is more balanced than MSNBC, and slightly less so than CNN. Joy Behar does conversatives justice. Even if you don't like O'Reilly, he's legit. I prefer Stewart and Colbert but let's not pretend that Fox is the worst of US basic cable news. Stuff like Huffington Post, MoveOn, etc etc etc... are right out. Town Hall and Weekly Standard are probably as bad as Huffington most days, and there are a few other right-wing hack rags but I'm not familiar with them.
    I think there is a difference between mainstream media outlets like MSNBC or FOX News, and very small publications, or even internet publications and blogs.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  9. #149
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Are you seriously defending the same nation that brought us The Holocaust and the Berlin Wall? Really?!?
    The Holocaust was over 6 decades ago. I'm pretty sure that the Germany of today is not the Germany of the 1930s.

    Besides, six decades ago, there were lots of places in the United States where being both black and out after sundown earned you a severe beating -- or worse. We're not ones to throw stones about recent history.

    So far as it goes with the Berlin Wall, that wasn't Germany's fault so much as it was a consequence of the fact that the United States and Russia divided the nation of Germany between themselves.

    Even were I wrong about all that, which I most definitely am not, that doesn't change the fact that what I said earlier is also right, and that you apparently are unable to address my argument on its own merit -- you're forced to set yourself up a straw man.

    Well, good luck with that sucker, but it won't keep the rooks out of the corn.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #150
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Obama Seeking "Ass To Kick" Over Oil Spill

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    This doesn't work. It's more akin to asking a German to name the state officials of Tennessee. Ok, a bigger more influential state but you get the point.
    I see your point, but you're wrong. Germany is not a state in the sense that Tennessee is a state; it is a sovereign nation.

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    Aren't we supposed to know the EU people? And what about the UN people? We need know those too, right? Europeans have more levels of government per square foot than we can possibly be expected to memorize. They're lucky we have any idea who's in charge over there. There's the short Frenchy (thank god he's not Italian), the dirty Spaniard, the pasty English dude, the goofy faced German chick... see? I'm educated.
    The UN does not make the real decisions. It provides a platform upon which sovereign nations can conduct international politics. That's it. The EU has a little more bite than the UN because

    The EU, while is certainly has more bite to it than the UN, does not in any way require member states to sacrifice their sovereignty. As such, you can't compare the EU to the United States. If Greece decided to leave the EU, it wouldn't result in civil war.

    Ultimately, if you want to do business with the nations which occupy the European continent and hold membership in the EU, you deal with them individually, unless your business is of such a scope as to impact multiple member states.

    That means the officers, structures, and foundational documents are far more important than those of the EU when it comes to being aware of who the movers and shakers in the world are.
    Last edited by TacticalEvilDan; 06-12-10 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Added a couple words of clarification
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •