Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

  1. #31
    Sage
    Renae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Antonio Texas
    Last Seen
    10-23-17 @ 10:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    38,972
    Blog Entries
    15

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, what you're effectively saying is that the American people voted for a liberal President because the Republican candidate wasn't conservative enough. Why would the American people choose a liberal President if they want more conservative policies?
    They want a strong leader that will LEAD them. McCain came off as weak, indecisive, ready to "reach across the isle" moderate "maverick" Obama was appealing because his campaign made him seem to be a leader. Time has shown otherwise but that's neither here nor there.
    Climate, changes. It takes a particularly uneducated population to buy into the idea that it's their fault climate is changing and further political solutions can fix it.



  2. #32
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
    They want a strong leader that will LEAD them. McCain came off as weak, indecisive, ready to "reach across the isle" moderate "maverick" Obama was appealing because his campaign made him seem to be a leader. Time has shown otherwise but that's neither here nor there.
    Ummm, no. McCain lost mostly because he chose Sarah Palin as his VP candidate, if you ask me. There were a lot of moderate Republican voters, or RINO voters, as you would say, he would have voted for McCain if he had chosen someone better than Palin, someone with better education and more experience with federal politics. McCain also had the troubles of being a Republican after 8 years of a Republican President in office just as the housing market collapsed. So while the reasons why you've stated that McCain lost the election is the reason why conservatives such as yourself didn't vote for him, I'm sure that independents and moderates have other reasons.

  3. #33
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Ummm, no. McCain lost mostly because he chose Sarah Palin as his VP candidate, if you ask me.
    Then you'd be absolutely wrong. Sarah Palin either helped him (which I think is true), or hurt him some trivial amount. Nobody with brains votes based on a VP pick.

    He lost because he was a Republican. End of story.
    A Republican with a strong conservative message might have done a bit better than him, simply by appearing to stand for something. But they would have lost anyways. In 2008, it would have taken something huge for a Republican to win.

  4. #34
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Then you'd be absolutely wrong. Sarah Palin either helped him (which I think is true), or hurt him some trivial amount. Nobody with brains votes based on a VP pick.

    He lost because he was a Republican. End of story.
    A Republican with a strong conservative message might have done a bit better than him, simply by appearing to stand for something. But they would have lost anyways. In 2008, it would have taken something huge for a Republican to win.
    truth. the one time McCain was ahead in the polls was after Palins' keynote speech.

  5. #35
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Then you'd be absolutely wrong. Sarah Palin either helped him (which I think is true), or hurt him some trivial amount. Nobody with brains votes based on a VP pick.
    When the Presidential candidate is 72-years-old, the VP pick is vastly more important than a Presidential candidate who is younger.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    He lost because he was a Republican. End of story.
    A Republican with a strong conservative message might have done a bit better than him, simply by appearing to stand for something. But they would have lost anyways. In 2008, it would have taken something huge for a Republican to win.
    Actually, I think McCain would have done better if he stayed with his libertarian-conservative stances that he had campaigned on in earlier runs for President. McCain could have gotten a lot of support from liberals and moderates for being more libertarian rather than social conservative. However, he chose an extremely socially conservative VP pick, which I think scared off a lot of independents and moderates, and helped him lose the election. So you're right in that he should have stuck to his guns and stood for something, but I think those should have been his original positions, not those he felt would have catered to the conservative base.

    But you're right - he had a tough run as a Republican considering how G.W.B.'s administration ended.

  6. #36
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    one of Sarah Palins' first acts as governor was to sign into law a provision which gave spouse-equivalency rights to homosexual partners of State employees. the Sarah-the-rabid-right-winger narrative is a wee bit overblown.

  7. #37
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    one of Sarah Palins' first acts as governor was to sign into law a provision which gave spouse-equivalency rights to homosexual partners of State employees. the Sarah-the-rabid-right-winger narrative is a wee bit overblown.
    Do we have a link to that act?

  8. #38
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,540

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Just my observation, but I think Obama was elected for his more Libertarian leaning positions on social issues. People were also getting tired of hearing a guy try to say "The fundimentals of our economy are strong" with a straight face while Wall Street pops the anxiety pills. It could also have something to do with the opinion polls related to Iraq. Public opinion polls still show to this day that Americans are not in favor of the Iraq war... But I guess those war polls don't really matter when you are a Republican.
    No doubt all of the things you mentioned helped Obama win the election. Another thing that helped was McCain's unsuccessful attempt to paint himself as a "maverick", i.e., not Bush. Then, there were the absurd statements made about Obama by his political enemies: He is a terrorist, not born in the US, a Muslim, and the crowning absurdity of all, the AntiChrist. The only people who believed any of that would not have voted for Obama even if McCain had been shown to be Beelzebub in disguise, but it did a lot of damage to the credibility of Obama's opposition in the eyes of rational voters.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  9. #39
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Then you'd be absolutely wrong. Sarah Palin either helped him (which I think is true), or hurt him some trivial amount. Nobody with brains votes based on a VP pick.
    Care to look at the independent reaction during her debate with Biden? Hint: It's says you're wrong.

    And considering McCain's health issues and age, people with brains do vote based on a VP pick. When a presidential candidate is (1) Old, (2) has boughs with cancer and (3) various other health issues, who he picks as VP is important.

    He lost because he was a Republican. End of story.
    That certainly played a role, but to utterly dismiss Palin seems stupid.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #40
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Republicans Jump Out To Historic Lead In Gallup Generic Ballot

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    one of Sarah Palins' first acts as governor was to sign into law a provision which gave spouse-equivalency rights to homosexual partners of State employees. the Sarah-the-rabid-right-winger narrative is a wee bit overblown.
    I like how you omitted how that did it because their Supreme Court ordered them to do. And how they are trying to overturn the court's decision.

    Not quite what you were arguing eh? Oh FACTS~!
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •