Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 113

Thread: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

  1. #71
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    White House memo responding to the situation:
    http://assets.theatlantic.com/static...Memorandum.pdf

    Sestak corroborates much of that memo:
    Sestak: 'I Said No' When Clinton Offered | TPMDC

    Sestak's phraseology in this memo makes it sound far less shady.

    edit: Although I'm sure conservatives here will dismiss the White House memo without even reading it.

    It is also interesting to note this:

    Update: Melanie Sloan, head of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington, told Rich Sisk just now that she sees no problem with this arrangement.

    “It’s just politics,” said Sloan. “Republicans are just making political hay with this while they can.

    CREW, which has fired off dozens of complaints on a range of issues against Democrats and Republicans with the House and Senate Ethics Committees in the past, will not be filing against Sestak, Sloan said.

    “CREW thinks this is ridiculous,” Sloan said. “To have a bribe, you have to exchange an official act for a thing of value,” said Sloan, a lawyer. “Not running for the Senate is not an official act,” Sloan said, “so it can’t be a bribe. Literally, no law has been broken.”
    Read more: Clinton Made Sestak a Proper Offer, White House Says

    CREW has a reputation for being sticklers and they file complaints against both Republicans and Democrats.

    Congressional Ethics | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  2. #72
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    And here,... I was constantly reminded in school and at home.... that "ignorance of the law is no excuse."
    Right...if you break the law because you believe it's legal, you'll be prosecuted. But if you DON'T break the law even when you believe you are, then you aren't prosecuted.

    As far as I can tell, there's no way that a quid pro quo could have existed, which means no crime was committed even if someone (incorrectly) offered the job as a quid pro quo.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-28-10 at 08:39 PM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    It is also interesting to note this:



    Read more: Clinton Made Sestak a Proper Offer, White House Says

    CREW has a reputation for being sticklers and they file complaints against both Republicans and Democrats.

    Congressional Ethics | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    Actually the majority of the things they file complaints too are Republicans, and democrats who have republican vlaue. And are mostly attacking the ones who oppose Crew, so basically they are having the same thing done to them.

    Watchdog, Donors Share Common Foes - Roll Call

    However I don't mind that their is a watchdog group it is just that they aren't truly bipartisan when they go for mostly democrats with some Republican values.
    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 05-28-10 at 10:05 PM.

  4. #74
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Right...if you break the law because you believe it's legal, you'll be prosecuted. But if you DON'T break the law even when you believe you are, then you aren't prosecuted.

    As far as I can tell, there's no way that a quid pro quo could have existed, which means no crime was committed even if someone (incorrectly) offered the job as a quid pro quo.
    I do not understand what is so difficult to understand.

    Sestak said the White House offerred him a job TO PULL OUT OF THE RACE WITH SPECTER.

    THAT IS PLAINLY A CRIME UNDER 18 USC 600.

    I will keep posting the following until you lefties succumb.
    Sestak is his and Obama's worst enemy in this.
    It does not matter what type of job either.
    There was a job offerred to him to leave the race.

    From the guy who broke the story: Larry Kane.
    The Larry Kane Report
    MAY 28,2010

    “Were you ever offered a job to get out of this race? (The contest against Arlen Specter).

    Sestak didn’t flinch .

    “Yes,” he answered.

    “Was it Navy Secretary?”, I asked

    “No comment.”

    He proceeded to talk about staying in the race but added that “he was called many times” to pull out.

    Later, I asked, “So you were offered a job by someone in the White House?”

    He said, “Yes.”


    When the taping stopped, Joe Sestak looked surprised .

    “You are the first person who ever asked me that question.”

    I prepared for the program with an outline of questions. But on that Thursday I was having a very hectic day. I was a little overwhelmed with work. I forgot to put the question in my outline. Suddenly, with 90 seconds left, I remembered!

    The news business can have moments that are so unpredictable. I knew the questionwas a good one, based on some really good sources, but I was flabbergasted when Sestak said “Yes.” There was no hesitation. No delay. He just said, “Yes.”

    As the Congressman left the building, there was an obvious dilemma. The show wouldn’t are till Sunday the 21st. The story could be big. I called Comcast executes. With their blessing, I broke the story with an audio interview on KYW Newsradio. But first there was work to do. I needed a White House response.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Last edited by RyrineaHaruno; 05-28-10 at 10:20 PM.

  6. #76
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gina View Post
    It is also interesting to note this:

    CREW has a reputation for being sticklers and they file complaints against both Republicans and Democrats.

    Congressional Ethics | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    FWIW, CREW is an unabashedly liberal organization:

    "We are progressive," said Naomi Seligman, the group's deputy director and communications director. "We do work within a larger progressive infrastructure." Seligman suggested her group is the progressive counterweight to Judicial Watch.
    Melanie Sloan serves as CREW's Executive Director. Prior to starting CREW in 2003, she served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the District of Columbia. Before becoming a prosecutor, Ms. Sloan served as Minority Counsel for the House Judiciary Committee, working on criminal justice issues for then-Ranking Member John Conyers (D-MI). Ms. Sloan also served as Counsel for the Crime Subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee, chaired by then-Representative Charles Schumer (D-NY).
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/archiv...ss-report.html
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    Right...if you break the law because you believe it's legal, you'll be prosecuted. But if you DON'T break the law even when you believe you are, then you aren't prosecuted.

    As far as I can tell, there's no way that a quid pro quo could have existed, which means no crime was committed even if someone (incorrectly) offered the job as a quid pro quo.
    Sestaks own words were that he was offered a job in exchange for dropping out of the race.

    That's an indictment by his words,... not mine.

    As as a matter of fact and law,... whether the position offered is a paid position or not is another issue.

    Clearly the the person offering the position thought it had value,... else there would be no use in making the offer in an effort to win the desired outcome.

    The laws against seeling political offices, favors, etc.... are not based upon how much the intended target stood to gain.

    It's more like zero tolerance.

    You can't (legally) promise or offer ANYTHING of value towards having an affect on the political outcome or participation of an election.

    Period.

    Not money, not a cabinet position, greater influence,.... nothing.

  8. #78
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:04 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,484
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    Zimmer I bet you were for Bush you did this also?

    Impeachment Kucinich.us - Article 29

    Impeachment Kucinich.us - Article 28
    Know what RH?

    Never heard of any of this during the Bush years because the press never reported it.
    If there was something they would have put down the hammer hard.
    Even used forged documents if they could.

    Do you have any links besides Moonbat Kucinich?
    BTW, I like Kucinich... (you read that correctly) because he did what Obama and most Dems never do.

    I like Kucinich because he tells people precisely how he wants to screw America and turn her into Amerika.

    That is how our process should be, but Libs cannot do it because Americans never vote for Scoialist claptrap when openly offered.

    I can even say I respect Kucinich for it though I disagree with him 100%. I cannot say I respect many other Dems/Socialists because they are dishonest and duplicitous to the core. Gulf War II revealed the depths they would sink... so low in fact there is no mechanism to cap the damage they had done.

    Now, back to Obama (President Top Kill), Sestak, ObamaRhama and their latest mutt in this affair... Cliton, and how they violated Federal Law by offering Sestak a position to pull out of the race with Specter.

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-29-10 at 06:50 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Humble Texas
    Last Seen
    06-25-11 @ 05:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,827

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Zimmer, this is a list of all the things that happen during the bush years
    Bush administration scandals - SourceWatch


    Back on topic:
    However I just don't think he did anything wrong until I get more information on this.

  10. #80
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,927

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by RyrineaHaruno View Post
    Actually the majority of the things they file complaints too are Republicans, and democrats who have republican vlaue. And are mostly attacking the ones who oppose Crew, so basically they are having the same thing done to them.

    Watchdog, Donors Share Common Foes - Roll Call

    However I don't mind that their is a watchdog group it is just that they aren't truly bipartisan when they go for mostly democrats with some Republican values.
    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    FWIW, CREW is an unabashedly liberal organization:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/archiv...ss-report.html
    While I agree, most of their actions are against Republicans, they are not above hitting Democrats.

    Mary Landrieu: CREW FILES COMPLAINT OVER
    Action taken that includes Nader: CREW FILES FEC COMPLAINT AGAINST CITIZENS FOR A SOUND ECONOMY, OREGON FAMILY COUNCIL, NADER FOR PRESIDENT 2004 AND BUSH-CHENEY | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    Nader alone: CREW FILES FEC AND IRS COMPLAINTS AGAINST NADER FOR PRESIDENT 2004 AND CITIZEN WORKS | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    Former Rep. Jefferson: CREW FILES AMICUS BRIEF IN REP. JEFFERSON APPEAL | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    This one is against the Obama administration: CREW FILES AMICUS BRIEFS IN TWO FEDERAL RESERVE BOARD FOIA DISCLOSURE CASES | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington
    John Edwards Campaign: CREW FILES 9TH CIRCUIT AMICUS BRIEF SUPPORTING PROHIBITION AGAINST CONDUIT CONTRIBUTIONS | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    Apparently, they like to challenge the Obama administration:

    CREW seeks evidence of DOJ’s ability to handle allegations of government wrongdoing, to inform the public and hold the government accountable.: CREW FILES DOJ FOIA REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ON CRIMINAL DIVISION'S HANDLING OF GUANTANAMO DEATHS | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW executive director Melanie Sloan said, “It is impossible to understand why the government hasn’t already made the video feed and other records documenting the impact of the spill public. CREW AND GREENPEACE SEEK VIDEO FEEDS AND GOVERNMENT DOCUMENTS RELATED TO GULF OIL SPILL | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW FILES FOIA REQUESTS WITH EIGHT AGENCIES FOR DOCUMENTS ABOUT THEIR LOBBYING OF CONGRESS ON FINANCIAL REGULATORY REFORM CREW FILES FOIA REQUESTS WITH EIGHT AGENCIES FOR DOCUMENTS ABOUT THEIR LOBBYING OF CONGRESS ON FINANCIAL REGULATORY REFORM | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    Today, CREW sent a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request to the Department of the Treasury, to discover whether in the late 1990s, while at the New York Fed, Tim Geithner took action beneficial to AIG. CREW SENDS FOIA TO TREASURY DEPARTMENT | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW seeks to learn the extent to which the Labor Department is aware of Talx’s actions and has taken any action in response. CREW FILES FOIAS WITH LABOR DEPT. FOR RECORDS ON TALX CORP.

    There are many more like those but let's move on:

    CREW CALLS FOR REP. MURTHA TO STEP DOWN FROM DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS SUBCOMMITTEE
    CREW CALLS FOR REP. MURTHA TO STEP DOWN FROM DEFENSE APPROPRIATIONS SUBCOMMITTEE | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW ASKS OCE TO INVESTIGATE REP. HARMAN IMMEDIATELY CREW ASKS OCE TO INVESTIGATE REP. HARMAN IMMEDIATELY | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW CALLS FOR ETHICS INVESTIGATION INTO NEW ALLEGATIONS OF WRONGDOING BY REP. RANGEL CREW CALLS FOR ETHICS INVESTIGATION INTO NEW ALLEGATIONS OF WRONGDOING BY REP. RANGEL | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW SENDS COMPLAINT AGAINST REP. MAHONEY TO HOUSE ETHICS COMMITTEE CREW SENDS COMPLAINT AGAINST REP. MAHONEY TO HOUSE ETHICS COMMITTEE | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW SENDS HOUSE ETHICS COMPLAINT AGAINST REP. LAURA RICHARDSON CREW SENDS HOUSE ETHICS COMPLAINT AGAINST REP. LAURA RICHARDSON | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    CREW URGES REP. WYNN TO RESIGN NOW CREW URGES REP. WYNN TO RESIGN NOW | Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington

    There are more, but I think that makes my point.
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We can’t get lost in discrimination. We can’t get lost in B.S. We can’t get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •