Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 113

Thread: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

  1. #101
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    I have been following this thead, and now I will make my comment. I will not defend Obama for what he did, as some of his defenders are doing, but I will not blow everything out of proportion either, like some others are doing.

    Here is the crux of the law - Any offer given must have an intrinsic value to it. Clinton's offer to get Sestak to drop out of the race was an UNPAID position, and that is the key here. This is not any more an impeachable offense than Ronald Regan making the exact same kind of an offer to Senator Hayakawa in 1982. It was completely legal then, and it is still completely legal now.

    However, having said that, what about the ethics angle? I believe that this attempt to get Sestak to drop out is highly unethical. Of course, Obama can point the finger at Reagan if he wants to, but it does not change the fact that Obama did something that he had promised to clean up, while running for president - That is, the culture of corruption in Washington. Now that he has been in office a while, we see that Obama is now part of the establishment, not any kind of an outsider who is going to change things. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

    You know, a lot of Republicans are calling this Obama's achilles heel, but I beg to differ with them. The achilles heel belongs to the Republican party, and it is the GOP which has shot themselves in the foot, once again. Republicans could have been honest in the portrayal of this incident, and would have had excellent ammunition to use against Obama. But, like the deather issue they repeatedly raised during the health care debate, they have made up the rules as they went along, and as a result, there is a real danger that an otherwise viable complaint will be lumped in with the deathers and birthers.

    You can give credit to the GOP for health care passing. They lied about it so much, when they could have told the truth, which might have led to the bill's defeat. Now the same thing may very well happen to the issue of Obama's ethical lapses. A clear issue may very well become just another band of white noise, and nobody will listen. If the issue of Obama's lack of ethics never gets to first base, you can give credit to the GOP for that too. Two outs and the bases loaded, and Republicans pop out into foul territory once again.
    Can you show in title 18, 600 where it says that the value has to be in cash? Is the definition of value only cash value?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    A bribe does not have to be money. He was offered a postion to not run

  3. #103
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    A bribe does not have to be money. He was offered a postion to not run
    could you please identify the federal positions he could be offered which would have allowed sestak to simultaneously run for the federal office of senate
    if you are unable to identify one then it must be presumed that any offer of a federal position comes with the expectation that the one who accepts the offered position will not run for federal office
    there is no quid pro quo which can be identified to cause this to be an illegal offer
    or you can continue to ignore the facts and resume posting inanities
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #104
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Can you show in title 18, 600 where it says that the value has to be in cash? Is the definition of value only cash value?
    You are only looking at one part of the equation, and not at all of it. Title 5 also applies. But don't take my word for it. Here is what President Bush's own ethics lawyer had to say about it.

    Very simply put, Sestak was offered a non paying position. Now, are you ready for this? Federal employees are not allowed to run for office. This is crux to the argument, and why your assertion that only Title 18,600 applies is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

    Once again, you and your kind are destroying a very good argument about ethics that can be used against Obama, by attemping to play it up as a major crime, when it isn't. I will also say this once again - If this issue dies, because people lump it in with birthers, deathers, and the other looney tunes, it is YOUR fault.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Nice try but he was offered a position on a fed panel to not run.

  6. #106
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    could you please identify the federal positions he could be offered which would have allowed sestak to simultaneously run for the federal office of senate
    if you are unable to identify one then it must be presumed that any offer of a federal position comes with the expectation that the one who accepts the offered position will not run for federal office
    there is no quid pro quo which can be identified to cause this to be an illegal offer
    or you can continue to ignore the facts and resume posting inanities
    Efforts were made in June and July of 2009 to determine whether Congressman Sestak would be interested in service on a Presidential or other Senior Executive Branch Advisory Board, which would avoid a divisive Senate primary
    Memorandum from White House Counsel Regarding the Review of Discussions Relating to Congressman Sestak | The White House

    “Were you ever offered a job to get out of this race? (The contest against Arlen Specter).

    Sestak didn’t flinch .

    “Yes,” he answered.

    “Was it Navy Secretary?”, I asked

    “No comment.”

    He proceeded to talk about staying in the race but added that “he was called many times” to pull out.

    Later, I asked, “So you were offered a job by someone in the White House?”

    He said, “Yes.”

    When the taping stopped, Joe Sestak looked surprised .

    “You are the first person who ever asked me that question.”
    The Joe Sestak “Question” – Anatomy Of An Interview That Spread Like Wildfire at The Larry Kane Report

    Of course I don't really expect you to read it this time either.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  7. #107
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:26 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,482
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant Noodle View Post
    They should imprison GW Bush for starting a war on false information before they do anything on this EXTREMELY weak BS. This is the crap Hannity and the other salespeople beat their drums about and poison the minds of Americans. SImply because for a republican Obama = bad. No matter what. If Obama is doing good things, make him look bad, if he isnt doing anything, make him look bad, and if he really is doing something bad, make him look bad.

    This BS in AMerica must stop. We as a Country waste FAR too much time and energy on spin-politics. On propaganda.
    Let's stop the BS train right here and right now.

    Democrats saw the same intel as Bush.
    Senate Dems begged for a second vote, and got it.
    You should read David Kay's testimony to the Armed Services Committee.
    LINK: CRG: Dr David Kay's Testimony to the Senate Armed Services Committee

    As for poisoned minds, how do you explain voting to send men to war and then turning and two fisting a dagger in their backs and plunging it in day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year?
    How can you refer to troops as terrorizing? Nazi's? How can you say we lost the war?
    How can you embolden the enemy and cost more blood of our noble, courageous men and women?

    That's pure poison. In fact, I call it treason.

    Dems went on the record for years warning about Saddam.
    The guy that lost a war, signed off on handing over his WMD programs.
    A guy that shot at our planes in the NFZ almost daily.
    A guy that used WMD.
    A guy that went through 16 useless UN Resolutions in 12-years.
    A guy that kicked out UN Inspecteurs.

    "One way or the other, we are determined to deny Iraq the capacity to develop weapons of mass destruction and the missiles to deliver them. That is our bottom line."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 4, 1998

    "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."
    --President Bill Clinton, Feb. 17, 1998

    "Iraq is a long way from [here], but what happens there matters a great deal here. For the risks that the leaders of a rogue state will use nuclear, chemical or biological weapons against us or our allies is the greatest security threat we face."
    --Madeline Albright, Feb 18, 1998

    "He will use those weapons of mass destruction again, as he has ten times since 1983."
    --Sandy Berger, Clinton National Security Adviser, Feb, 18, 1998

    "[W]e urge you, after consulting with Congress, and consistent with the U.S. Constitution and laws, to take necessary actions (including, if appropriate, air and missile strikes on suspect Iraqi sites) to respond effectively to the threat posed by Iraq's refusal to end its weapons of mass destruction programs."
    Letter to President Clinton, signed by:
    -- Democratic Senators Carl Levin, Tom Daschle, John Kerry, and others, Oct. 9, 1998

    "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction technology which is a threat to countries in the region and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."
    -Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D, CA), Dec. 16, 1998

    "Hussein has ... chosen to spend his money on building weapons of mass destruction and palaces for his cronies."
    -- Madeline Albright, Clinton Secretary of State, Nov. 10, 1999

    "There is no doubt that ... Saddam Hussein has reinvigorated his weapons programs. Reports indicate that biological, chemical and nuclear programs continue apace and may be back to pre-Gulf War status. In addition, Saddam continues to redefine delivery systems and is doubtless using the cover of a licit missile program to develop longer-range missiles that will threaten the United States and our allies."
    Letter to President Bush, Signed by:
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), and others, Dec 5, 2001

    "We begin with the common belief that Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a threat to the peace and stability of the region. He has ignored the mandate of the United Nations and is building weapons of mass destruction and th! e means of delivering them."
    -- Sen. Carl Levin (D, MI), Sept. 19, 2002

    "We know that he has stored secret supplies of biological and chemical weapons throughout his country."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power."
    -- Al Gore, Sept. 23, 2002

    "We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Ted Kennedy (D, MA), Sept. 27, 2002

    "The last UN weapons inspectors left Iraq in October of 1998. We are confident that Saddam Hussein retains some stockpiles of chemical and biological weapons, and that he has since embarked on a crash course to build up his chemical and biological warfare capabilities. Intelligence reports indicate that he is seeking nuclear weapons..."
    -- Sen. Robert Byrd (D, WV), Oct. 3, 2002

    "I will be voting to give the President of the United States the authority to use force -- if necessary -- to disarm Saddam Hussein because I believe that a deadly arsenal of weapons of mass destruction in his hands is a real and grave threat to our security."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Oct. 9, 2002

    "There is unmistakable evidence that Saddam Hussein is working aggressively to develop nuclear weapons and will likely have nuclear weapons within the next five years ... We also should remember we have always underestimated the progress Saddam has made in development of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Jay Rockefeller (D, WV), Oct 10, 2002

    "He has systematically violated, over the course of the past 11 years, every significant UN resolution that has demanded that he disarm and destroy his chemical and biological weapons, and any nuclear capacity. This he has refused to do"
    -- Rep. Henry Waxman (D, CA), Oct. 10, 2002

    "In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including al Qaeda members ... It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons."
    -- Sen. Hillary Clinton (D, NY), Oct 10, 2002

    "We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction."
    -- Sen. Bob Graham (D, FL), Dec. 8, 2002

    "Without question, we need to disarm Saddam Hussein. He is a brutal, murderous dictator, leading an oppressive regime ... He presents a particularly grievous threat because he is so consistently prone to miscalculation ... And now he is miscalculating America's response to his continued deceit and his consistent grasp for weapons of mass destruction ... So the threat of Saddam Hussein with weapons of mass destruction is real..."
    -- Sen. John F. Kerry (D, MA), Jan. 23. 2003
    As far as propaganda, how do you think Obama, a man with more political baggage than Heathrow's Lost & Found got elected? Wright, Ayers, Rezko, Khalidi, Johnston, plagiarism... just how does a man tied to terrorists, racists, and Communists get elected?

    .
    Last edited by zimmer; 05-31-10 at 05:55 PM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  8. #108
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    You are only looking at one part of the equation, and not at all of it. Title 5 also applies. But don't take my word for it. Here is what President Bush's own ethics lawyer had to say about it.

    Very simply put, Sestak was offered a non paying position. Now, are you ready for this? Federal employees are not allowed to run for office. This is crux to the argument, and why your assertion that only Title 18,600 applies is nothing but smoke and mirrors.

    Once again, you and your kind are destroying a very good argument about ethics that can be used against Obama, by attemping to play it up as a major crime, when it isn't. I will also say this once again - If this issue dies, because people lump it in with birthers, deathers, and the other looney tunes, it is YOUR fault.
    Nice theory, but he was offered a quid pro quo deal, and that makes this a felony. If the Administration wants to spin this as nothing, they should welcome a special prosecutor..... but they won't, it will have to be shoved down their throats by public opinion, and that most likely will happen.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  9. #109
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,756

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Nice theory, but he was offered a quid pro quo deal, and that makes this a felony. If the Administration wants to spin this as nothing, they should welcome a special prosecutor..... but they won't, it will have to be shoved down their throats by public opinion, and that most likely will happen.
    1) President Bush's own attorney says you are wrong.

    2) Star-News - Google News Archive Search

    Reagan did not commit any crime either. Fact is that a few people are very desperate to make something up. Like monkeys, they keep throwing feces, hoping that something sticks.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  10. #110
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Sestak White House scandal called 'impeachable offense'

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    1) President Bush's own attorney says you are wrong.

    2) Star-News - Google News Archive Search

    Reagan did not commit any crime either. Fact is that a few people are very desperate to make something up. Like monkeys, they keep throwing feces, hoping that something sticks.

    Special prosecutor, that is the only way to clear up the discrepancy between what Sestek was saying a few months ago, and what the White House is saying now..... or should we have not investigated Watergate? Nixon said there was no crime, why wasn't that dropped right then and there?

    Is it possible that a politician could be lying?

    BTW…… Alinsky tactics won’t work either.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •