Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

  1. #1
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    It should come as no shock that the largest single campaign donation in 20 years, by a major oil company, made to a presidential candidate, was the one BP made to Obama during his election campaign. Nor to discover this little 'gem' via the NYT.

    "In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

    Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

    It goes without saying that if Bush were POTUS right now, we would be hearing fairly predictable commentary from left leaning quarters regarding conspiracy and that oh so big BP donation. Not so much though since it is "their boy" at the helm. But there sure has been plenty of post and threads here at DP about how blame for this should be placed upon Cheney/Bush and Halliburton.

  2. #2
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,868
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    It should come as no shock that the largest single campaign donation in 20 years, by a major oil company, made to a presidential candidate, was the one BP made to Obama during his election campaign. Nor to discover this little 'gem' via the NYT.

    "In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

    Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

    It goes without saying that if Bush were POTUS right now, we would be hearing fairly predictable commentary from left leaning quarters regarding conspiracy and that oh so big BP donation. Not so much though since it is "their boy" at the helm. But there sure has been plenty of post and threads here at DP about how blame for this should be placed upon Cheney/Bush and Halliburton.
    now you see that, thats what's called partisanship, and as it is a leftist president you fellas have, the left are quiet, whilst the right are hurling accusations, and under bush the situation was reversed.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    So Sarah is right again

  4. #4
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Did you happen to read the part where these projects had started before the oil rig explosion?
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by spud_meister View Post
    now you see that, thats what's called partisanship, and as it is a leftist president you fellas have, the left are quiet, whilst the right are hurling accusations, and under bush the situation was reversed.
    Uhm yeah, kinda my point. Partisanship has never prevented me from calling a spade a spade, but it does seem to prohibit most of the press and many proud left leaning DP members from doing so. We also now have a three week old request from Jindal and the state to allow building sand barriers along 90 miles of coast to help lessen the impact of the spill, just moldering away and going nowhere. Time of course is of the essence in a situation like this, IMO a POTUS should be doing what he can to speed such a plan through the morass of bureaucratic red tape. Wouldn't you agree?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Did you happen to read the part where these projects had started before the oil rig explosion?
    Since it escaped you the first time, let me help you out Duece.

    "In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

    Do try to keep up with the actual OP and NYT quote in it.
    Last edited by Sir Loin; 05-24-10 at 09:02 PM.

  6. #6
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,775

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    Uhm yeah, kinda my point. Partisanship has never prevented me from calling a spade a spade, but it does seem to prohibit most of the press and many proud left leaning DP members from doing so. We also now have a three week old request from Jindal and the state to allow building sand barriers along 90 miles of coast to help lessen the impact of the spill, just moldering away and going nowhere. Time of course is of the essence in a situation like this, IMO a POTUS should be doing what he can to speed such a plan through the morass of bureaucratic red tape. Wouldn't you agree?

    Since it escaped you the first time, let me help you out Duece.

    "In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

    Do try to keep up with the actual OP and NYT quote in it.
    Asked about the permits and waivers, officials at the Department of the Interior and the Minerals Management Service, which regulates drilling, pointed to public statements by Interior Secretary Ken Salazar, reiterating that the agency had no intention of stopping all new oil and gas production in the gulf.

    Department of the Interior officials said in a statement that the moratorium was meant only to halt permits for the drilling of new wells. It was not meant to stop permits for new work on existing drilling projects like the Deepwater Horizon.
    Seems to me that they're doing what they said they'd do. Of course, I personally think they should stop even the existing projects but I'm not in charge of that.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  7. #7
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Seems to me that they're doing what they said they'd do. Of course, I personally think they should stop even the existing projects but I'm not in charge of that.
    Even before the Deepwater Horizon disaster, the use of environmental waivers was a source of concern. In September 2009, the Government Accountability Office released a report concluding that the waivers were being illegally granted to onshore drilling projects.

    This month, the Interior Department announced plans to restrict the use of the waivers onshore, though not offshore. It also began a joint investigation of the offshore waiver process with the Council on Environmental Quality, an environmental arm of the White House.

    The investigation, however, is likely to take months, and in the meantime the waivers are continuing to be issued. There is also a 60-day statute of limitations on contesting the waivers, which reduces the chances that they will be reversed if problems are found with the projects or the Obama administration’s review finds fault in the exemption process.
    As stated, despite the moratorium, waivers are still being granted. That is one funky "special" kind of moratorium.

  8. #8
    Familiaist


    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    North Carolina
    Last Seen
    11-16-16 @ 09:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    7,470

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    So Sarah is right again
    is that your special way to admit you agree with the President?
    "I do not underestimate the ability of fanatical groups of terrorists to kill and destroy, but they do not threaten the life of the nation. Whether we would survive Hitler hung in the balance, but there is no doubt that we shall survive al-Qa'ida." -- Lord Hoffmann

  9. #9
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,081

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Loin View Post
    It should come as no shock that the largest single campaign donation in 20 years, by a major oil company, made to a presidential candidate, was the one BP made to Obama during his election campaign. Nor to discover this little 'gem' via the NYT.

    "In the days since President Obama announced a moratorium on permits for drilling new offshore oil wells and a halt to a controversial type of environmental waiver that was given to the Deepwater Horizon rig, at least seven new permits for various types of drilling and five environmental waivers have been granted, according to records.''

    Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead - NYTimes.com

    It goes without saying that if Bush were POTUS right now, we would be hearing fairly predictable commentary from left leaning quarters regarding conspiracy and that oh so big BP donation. Not so much though since it is "their boy" at the helm. But there sure has been plenty of post and threads here at DP about how blame for this should be placed upon Cheney/Bush and Halliburton.
    OK, the US Government has an incestuous relationship with big oil, the corruption crosses party lines. Bush AND Obama are a big part of the problem.

    How is that for consistency and bi-partisanship.

    Its time to move away from deep off-shore drilling as the government is clearly not in a position to monitor and big-oil does what big business does so well: exploit!

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    07-11-11 @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,249

    Re: Despite Moratorium, Drilling Projects Move Ahead Under Obama Adminstration

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    OK, the US Government has an incestuous relationship with big oil, the corruption crosses party lines. Bush AND Obama are a big part of the problem.

    How is that for consistency and bi-partisanship.

    Its time to move away from deep off-shore drilling as the government is clearly not in a position to monitor and big-oil does what big business does so well: exploit!
    The US government makes as much if not more off "big oil" than does "big oil" and "big business" as you say. So why not include "big government" in your diagnosis? It sure is hard for posters thus far to just come out and call the situation what it is. So you are saying we will need to allow more onshore drilling then? As the necessity of oil is still upon us? Because couching arguments in "big oil" and "big business" are all about exploitation but giving a pass to "big government" does not get anybody anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •