Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 63

Thread: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

  1. #21
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by webrockk View Post
    "There is no socialism here" But wait....all I ever heard from lefties when defending Obama's socialist HCR was "what about police and fire departments, hmmm?...that's socialism...what about roads and highways, hmmm?...that's socialism"

    So...which is it?
    Not sure who you're quoting, but you might try asking them. It sounds to me as if whoever was you are quoting that they are being a bit sarcastic. You may be reading them wrong.

    However, when talking to me, it would be helpful to argue against my points and not someone's argument that is not mine, as I can't speak for them.

    The fact is this is not a socialism here in the US. Nor has anything really changed from what we have been doing for decades. The socialism scare tactic is as old as the country, if not older. So, it is hardly original. And it is no more true today than it's ever been.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    This is a danger that some of the founding fathers touched on. If the majority figures out that they can vote themselves money from the public coffers, then the Republic is done for.
    Did they touch on the danger of pandering tax breaks until the country's done for? You know, tax breaks for no good economical reason, unless.... :gasp: theyre buying off votes from as many taxpayers as possible.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by SE102 View Post
    Did they touch on the danger of pandering tax breaks until the country's done for? You know, tax breaks for no good economical reason, unless.... :gasp: theyre buying off votes from as many taxpayers as possible.
    No, this was before they had an income tax. I am sure they knew that a tax cut caused the economy to grow, however, since Adam Smith had written his book.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Last Seen
    05-29-12 @ 02:53 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,621

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Oh, I guess this is before french socialism too then. :p

    I dont think I have any point to make at all though... it just wasnt a very good article.

  5. #25
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    488

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Not sure who you're quoting, but you might try asking them. It sounds to me as if whoever was you are quoting that they are being a bit sarcastic. You may be reading them wrong.

    However, when talking to me, it would be helpful to argue against my points and not someone's argument that is not mine, as I can't speak for them.

    The fact is this is not a socialism here in the US. Nor has anything really changed from what we have been doing for decades. The socialism scare tactic is as old as the country, if not older. So, it is hardly original. And it is no more true today than it's ever been.
    Good or bad, welfare is a form of socialism, WIC is a form of socialism, the food stamp program is a form of socialism.

    Any time private, and lawfully aquired property (money) is taken from one person with equal, unalienable rights to succeed or fail and given to another ...with identical equal, unalienable rights to succeed or fail at the hand of government, a form of socialism has occurred.
    Last edited by webrockk; 05-25-10 at 07:42 PM.

  6. #26
    User JustinCase's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    06-03-10 @ 01:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    so·cial·ism
    Function: noun
    1 : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
    2 a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state

    Perhaps you should try a different buzz-word; the programs you decry describe civilization, not socialism.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Z3n View Post
    I definately agree. The problem though is that this concept of "Socialism" is so evacuated of any actual meaning. Socialism used to mean literally being in control of what you own, and public ownership of the economy...but there is a second manifestation which is statist. It's all about the
    How can you be in control of what you own and have public ownership of the economy when what you own is a business, or a farm, or an oil refinery?

  8. #28
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    488

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCase View Post
    so·cial·ism
    Function: noun
    1 : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership
    Rectify "collective" in your argument.
    Last edited by webrockk; 05-25-10 at 08:14 PM.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Past the edge of the universe, through the singularity, and out the other side.
    Last Seen
    09-01-10 @ 05:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,324

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by JustinCase View Post
    so·cial·ism
    Function: noun
    1 : any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
    2 a : a system of society or group living in which there is no private property b : a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state
    We live in a corporatist system in which political capitalists within government and corporatist elites within big business enjoy a symbiotic relationship under which individual liberty is crushed beneath the iron boot of the state.

    Perhaps you should try a different buzz-word;
    You're right "socialism" is the wrong word for what he described, it's not called socialism it's called outright theft.

    the programs you decry describe civilization, not socialism.
    If by civilization you mean a society in which a group of men take a vote to rob a man, allowing the man to be robbed to vote as well, then upon winning a majority decision to rob the man do in fact rob him, then call it liberty, then ya sure civilization it is.

  10. #30
    Advisor
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 10:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    488

    Re: Sugarcoating Socialism the French Way

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Ferris View Post



    You're right "socialism" is the wrong word for what he described, it's not called socialism it's called outright theft.
    The collective aspects of socialism are indeed theft....especially in a society with a progressive tax system... where only a selected few are burdened with funding said society.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •