Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 87

Thread: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

  1. #21
    User Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    05-26-10 @ 02:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    98

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Please read the rest of the thread.





    I'll ask you the same questions that mbig has declined to answer:

    "If Alito is confirmed, Catholics, who represent less than 24% of the country, will have a majority of the seats on the Supreme Court."

    1) Is that a statement of fact or is it a bigoted slur against Catholics?
    2) How is that statement different from Buchanan's statement, if at all?
    I read the whole thread. I saw all the people trying to show you how what Buchanen said most definitely means there are too many Jews on the SC if Kagan gets on. And how you keep denying it over and over.

    1. There are too many catholics on the SC.
    2. There should be more women.
    3. And a non-believer would be good too.
    Enough with the dirty, deadly and disgusting oil and coal. Let's get clean, let's go green. Enough is enough!!

  2. #22
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen View Post
    I read the whole thread. I saw all the people trying to show you how what Buchanen said most definitely means there are too many Jews on the SC if Kagan gets on. And how you keep denying it over and over.

    1. There are too many catholics on the SC.
    2. There should be more women.
    3. And a non-believer would be good too.


    So when Buchanan says that Jews are disproportionately represented on the SC, that's bigotry, but when you say "there are too many catholics on the SC," that's not?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #23
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Read the actual article rather than the Raw Story summary: Are liberals anti-WASP?

    It's standard partisan crap, directed at accusing the left of being bigoted against Christians while pushing their own twisted version of diversity. It's not particularly well written, nor is it insightful. However, nothing in that article even comes close to claiming that there are "too many Jews" in the way that people in this thread are claiming.
    OK, I read the article. With the context. And it's still every bit as offensive. Had I come across that article before I saw this thread and saw Pat Buchanan, of all people, lamenting the Jew-ification of the Supreme Court (which is what he did), yes it would be offensive.

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC
    Activists on the left said nearly identical things about Catholics when Roberts and Alito were nominated, but nobody seemed to give a **** then.
    Some female Democratic senator (I think Diane Feinstein) asked Roberts during his confirmation hearing if his religion would prevent him from being impartial on any abortion cases that might come before the court. She kicked up quite a ****storm over that comment, and deservedly so.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  4. #24
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by Kandahar View Post
    OK, I read the article. With the context. And it's still every bit as offensive. Had I come across that article before I saw this thread and saw Pat Buchanan, of all people, lamenting the Jew-ification of the Supreme Court (which is what he did), yes it would be offensive.
    I just don't see how it's offensive, unless you're willing to make the huge leap from "there are a disproportionate number of jews on the SC" to "jews are bad people and should not be on the SC." Buchanan may well be a terrible person, but this article isn't a reason why.

    Again, this exact same sentiment has been expressed many times over in the past. No one cared then, and I don't know why anyone should care now.

    Alito Would Create Catholic Majority on Top Court - ABC News

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/po...1religion.html

    Court Could Tip to Catholic Majority - washingtonpost.com

    And again, I ask about this:

    "If Alito is confirmed, Catholics, who represent less than 24% of the country, will have a majority of the seats on the Supreme Court."

    1) Is that a statement of fact or is it a bigoted slur against Catholics?
    2) How is that statement different from Buchanan's statement, if at all?

    Some female Democratic senator (I think Diane Feinstein) asked Roberts during his confirmation hearing if his religion would prevent him from being impartial on any abortion cases that might come before the court. She kicked up quite a ****storm over that comment, and deservedly so.
    I don't find that particularly offensive either, but even so, that is entirely different from what Buchanan said. There's a world of difference between implying that someone's religion renders them unable to rule fairly and simply noting that one group is disproportionately represented.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    I just don't see how it's offensive, unless you're willing to make the huge leap from "there are a disproportionate number of jews on the SC" to "jews are bad people and should not be on the SC." Buchanan may well be a terrible person, but this article isn't a reason why.

    Again, this exact same sentiment has been expressed many times over in the past. No one cared then, and I don't know why anyone should care now.

    Alito Would Create Catholic Majority on Top Court - ABC News

    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/01/po...1religion.html

    Court Could Tip to Catholic Majority - washingtonpost.com

    And again, I ask about this:

    "If Alito is confirmed, Catholics, who represent less than 24% of the country, will have a majority of the seats on the Supreme Court."

    1) Is that a statement of fact or is it a bigoted slur against Catholics?
    2) How is that statement different from Buchanan's statement, if at all?
    Those articles seem to be pretty even-handed. How are they different from Buchanan? Buchanan was clearly LAMENTING the fact that there were so many Jews on the court, not merely observing it. After he pointed it out, his very next sentence was "Is this the Democrats' idea of diversity?"

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC
    I don't find that particularly offensive either, but even so, that is entirely different from what Buchanan said. There's a world of difference between implying that someone's religion renders them unable to rule fairly and simply noting that one group is disproportionately represented.
    If Buchanan had authored a piece impartially showing the statistics of various demographic groups on the court, that would be one thing (although I'd probably view anything Pat Buchanan has to say about Jews with suspicion given his past record). But when it's part of an article entitled "Are liberals anti-WASP?" and is followed up with "Is this the Democrats' idea of diversity?" I think it's pretty clear that he's sorry there will be yet another Jew on the court.
    Last edited by Kandahar; 05-16-10 at 06:19 AM.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    I love how Paleocons are always bitching and whinning about identity politics but yet Buchanan is bitching about the fact she's a jew. Then again it is Pat Buchanan so I really shouldnt be that surprised. Its not like there are other things to complain about; anti-second amendment, not too keen on the first to name two. Stay classy asshole

    Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench | Raw Story
    Well he is right. That is IF religion mattered in 99% of the rulings on the court, and it does not matter. Only time it does matter is if it is about abortion and the conservative judges cant get past their bible classes.

    The Supreme Court does not reflect the US population, both in ethnicity, sex and religion.. then again it never has.
    PeteEU

  7. #27
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Quote Originally Posted by chevydriver1123 View Post
    I love how Paleocons are always bitching and whinning about identity politics but yet Buchanan is bitching about the fact she's a jew. Then again it is Pat Buchanan so I really shouldnt be that surprised. Its not like there are other things to complain about; anti-second amendment, not too keen on the first to name two. Stay classy asshole

    Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench | Raw Story
    Actually, I would say there are too many Catholics on the Supreme Court. Bill Maher brought this up on his show "Real Time" and mentioned that an agnostic or an atheist should be appointed. I'd have to agree with that, although that might be a tough appointment and would give more ammo to evangelical conservatives for the next election.

    I know that the Supreme Court is made up only of nine Justices, and not every group can be represented on it all the time, but I think in this day and age we try to increase the diversity of the bench in some way when we can.

  8. #28
    Professor

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    08-08-13 @ 08:21 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    If one wanted to emphasize that there were too many jews, one would compare the amount of jews in the SC vs the population (like Buchanan did). If your objective is the underrepresentation of other groups, why not simply talk about the underrepresentation of other groups?

    That's why I'm also inclined to agree with mbig, Buchanan's clearly talking about too many jews.

  9. #29
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    Officer, I didn't shoot that man, I simply pulled the trigger on my gun in a precise trajectory that propelled a bullet between his eyes.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  10. #30
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Buchanan: With Kagan, too many Jews on Supreme Court bench

    In this world of equality why do people demand fair-representation when it's a person's DECISION to become a politician or judge?

    You can't force people to do something that they don't want to do I think proportional balance when you're discussing gender/race/culture/religion is impossible and ridiculous.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •