Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

  1. #1
    Sage
    bhkad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    08-13-10 @ 01:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,745

    Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law
    Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 5:00 PM by Mark Murray
    Filed Under: States, Polls

    From NBC's Mark Murray
    Here's another set of numbers from the new NBC/WSJ poll we're teasing:

    Nearly two-thirds of Americans back Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration law, which makes it a state crime for a person to be in the country illegally. The law also requires local and state law enforcement officials to question people about their immigration status if they suspect they’re in the country illegally.

    Sixty-four percent favor this law, while 34 percent oppose it. But those numbers are essentially reversed among Latinos -- with 70 percent of them opposing the law, and only 27 percent supporting it.

    Even though almost two-thirds of the public supports Arizona’s law, nearly an identical number (66 percent) believe it will lead to the discrimination of Latino immigrants who reside in the U.S. legally.

    The full NBC/WSJ poll is released at 6:30 pm ET.
    Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law - First Read - msnbc.com

    64% of all Americans polled favor this law.

    OBL 11/24/02

  2. #2
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Seems especially high given how its been misrepresented.

  3. #3
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    There was a time when most of the nation support slavery as well.

    Just because people may "favor" something....doesn't mean that it is right.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  4. #4
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    There was a time when most of the nation support slavery as well.

    Just because people may "favor" something....doesn't mean that it is right.
    We are not talking about slavery, we are talking about people breaking the law and a law passed to stop said people from breaking the law.

    Please try to keep up...... thanx.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  5. #5
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    We are not talking about slavery, we are talking about people breaking the law and a law passed to stop said people from breaking the law.

    Please try to keep up...... thanx.
    You obviously have no reading comprehension ability then. The point of the OP is that a large percentage of people support the law and an implication that therefore it must be right.

    The fact remains, people supported slavery for a long time by large percentages, but few would argue that those numbers of support now indicate that slavery was just.

    This law is nothing more than a "feel-good" law to those who want to scapegoat latinos for economic problems they are facing. The truth is, we DO need immigration reform, but laws like this do nothing other than placate the people who are easily aroused.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  6. #6
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,170

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    laws like this do nothing other than placate the people who are easily aroused.
    Quite the opposite, laws like this arouse the people who are easily placated by the status quo. You can see evidence of them on internet forums, babbling about slavery and other irrelevancies.

  7. #7
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post

    This law is nothing more than a "feel-good" law to those who want to scapegoat latinos for economic problems they are facing. The truth is, we DO need immigration reform, but laws like this do nothing other than placate the people who are easily aroused.
    Wrong..... as usual.

    The Arizona law is to enforce the Federal laws already on the books that the Feds are not enforcing.

    As I said, try to keep up.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  8. #8
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by taylor View Post
    quite the opposite, laws like this arouse the people who are easily placated by the status quo. You can see evidence of them on internet forums, babbling about slavery and other irrelevancies.
    +1...........
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  9. #9
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by Crunch View Post
    Wrong..... as usual.

    The Arizona law is to enforce the Federal laws already on the books that the Feds are not enforcing.

    As I said, try to keep up.

    There is a good reason why almost every law enforcement agency in the country has come out against this law. Hmmmm...maybe its because it isn't going to do what you claim...and perhaps you need to self-reflect and realize that it is you who is failing to keep up.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  10. #10
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Poll: Nearly two-thirds back AZ law

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    There is a good reason why almost every law enforcement agency in the country has come out against this law. Hmmmm...maybe its because it isn't going to do what you claim...and perhaps you need to self-reflect and realize that it is you who is failing to keep up.
    You really don't do any research at all, do you?

    By AMANDA LEE MYERS (AP) – Apr 28, 2010

    PHOENIX — Many of the cars that once stopped in the Home Depot parking lot to pick up day laborers to hang drywall or do landscaping now just drive on by.

    Arizona's sweeping immigration bill allows police to arrest illegal immigrant day laborers seeking work on the street or anyone trying to hire them. It won't take effect until summer but it is already having an effect on the state's underground economy.

    "Nobody wants to pick us up," Julio Loyola Diaz says in Spanish as he and dozens of other men wait under the shade of palo verde trees and lean against a low brick wall outside the east Phoenix home improvement store.

    Many day laborers like Diaz say they will leave Arizona because of the law, which also makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and directs police to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants.

    Supporters of the law hope it creates jobs for thousands of Americans.

    "We want to drive day labor away," says Republican Rep. John Kavanagh, one of the law's sponsors.

    An estimated 100,000 illegal immigrants have left Arizona in the past two years as it cracked down on illegal immigration and its economy was especially hard hit by the Great Recession. A Department of Homeland Security report on illegal immigrants estimates Arizona's illegal immigrant population peaked in 2008 at 560,000, and a year later dipped to 460,000.
    The Associated Press: Illegal immigrants plan to leave over Ariz. law

    Seems to be working.
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •