Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

  1. #11
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by Burning Giraffe View Post
    I completely agree, however, its not like the Saudi Government is a US ally.
    Oh, certainly. When I say that the courts are not the proper means to exact our revenge, it is because I believe a military response would have been more appropriate. Certainly more appropriate than invading Afghanistan and Iraq, though the former was at least strategically justified.

    Of course, my idea of "proportionate response" is typically called "war crimes" by the UN.

  2. #12
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by Korimyr the Rat View Post
    Oh, certainly. When I say that the courts are not the proper means to exact our revenge, it is because I believe a military response would have been more appropriate. Certainly more appropriate than invading Afghanistan and Iraq, though the former was at least strategically justified.

    Of course, my idea of "proportionate response" is typically called "war crimes" by the UN.
    Mine too. I think we're on the same page.
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  3. #13
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Imagine if corporations were able to sue foreign governments.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  4. #14
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To all you Liberals who support Kagan - Are you still interested in supporting her, or is the fact that she is being appointed by a Democrat more important to you?

    Just an honest question from me, and I would appreciate an honest answer from you.

    Article is here.
    no, i'm not interested in supporting her.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #15
    White trash on dope.
    d0gbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,875

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Is she the one that sent the 767 around to pick up all of the Bin Laden relatives in the US, during a 'No Fly' order, to safely get them all out of the country?

    No? That wasn't her? She just protected them from law suits? I don't think that that was even necessary. It's carved in international law.

    Do I smell a swift boater?
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    The systems that ensure freedom and liberty are breaking down and fundamentalism is growing. Nobody is righteous anymore.


  6. #16
    Walk with me in hell.
    stekim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Last Seen
    09-21-10 @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,106

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by roughdraft274 View Post
    I don't know why we should blame her for the law. That's congress's job. If she was following the law then it's a plus in my book. She doesn't sway according to popular sentiment, she sticks to the law. I thought conservatives like this about people?
    Actually, over the last 9+ years it's become apparent that conservatives only like the law if it suits their needs at the time. Otherwise things like laws, rights, etc. are merely inconvenient and should be ignored. So while Judges should follow the law in general, they apparently need to ignore it when conservatives think they should. Yes, that would be "judicial activism", which they claim to be against. But let's not get logically consistent here. It's politics we are talking about.
    Wow. Am I awesome or what?

  7. #17
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To all you Liberals who support Kagan - Are you still interested in supporting her, or is the fact that she is being appointed by a Democrat more important to you? …
    Blaming Elana Kagan for effectively doing her job as Solicitor General in a matter of national significance would be an error. Your argument is with the law, not the attorney arguing the law.
    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

  8. #18
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To all you Liberals who support Kagan - Are you still interested in supporting her, or is the fact that she is being appointed by a Democrat more important to you?

    Just an honest question from me, and I would appreciate an honest answer from you.

    Article is here.
    Oh goody!

    Another throw a ball of crap against the wall and hope it sticks.

    I'm not pleased with this choice, way too rightie for me, but this sort of weak attempt at character assassination is just plain lame.

  9. #19
    Advisor Burning Giraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Burgaw, NC
    Last Seen
    07-27-10 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    357

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by Chappy View Post
    Blaming Elana Kagan for effectively doing her job as Solicitor General in a matter of national significance would be an error. Your argument is with the law, not the attorney arguing the law.
    Excellent point. I think conservatives are going to get themselves into trouble with this one. I see no reason to throw a fit over Kagan's nomination. She's not nearly as bad as the departing Justice, so what do we care?
    There is nothing more dangerous to the liberty of Man than a Government or a Religion seizing upon the strings of an overdeveloped herd instinct amongst the people.

  10. #20
    ThunderCougarFalconBird
    roughdraft274's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,046

    Re: Kagan helped shield Saudis from 9/11 lawsuits

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    To all you Liberals who support Kagan - Are you still interested in supporting her, or is the fact that she is being appointed by a Democrat more important to you?

    Just an honest question from me, and I would appreciate an honest answer from you.

    Article is here.
    Just an honest question, are you going to come back and even try to defend your original post? I don't see the point in starting a thread with a snide comment like "or is the fact that she is being appointed by a Democrat more important to you?" and then when you don't get the answers you like you just ignore the conversation rather than come in and say maybe I was on the wrong side on this one or even attempt to defend your post.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •