View Poll Results: In regard to this case......

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • The accused is guilty of possessing child porn

    0 0%
  • The accused is not guilty

    18 90.00%
  • There was prosecutorial misconduct

    13 65.00%
  • Prosecutors were only trying to convict a child molester

    3 15.00%
  • The accused is a potential child molester

    4 20.00%
  • It should be illegal for young-looking women to make porn

    2 10.00%
  • The prosecutor should be charged with a crime

    7 35.00%
  • Sometimes, there is injustice in America

    12 60.00%
  • America still has the best system of justice in the world

    4 20.00%
  • Don't know/No opinion/This is just to complicated to figure out

    0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54

Thread: When does porn become child porn

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    Well, I wouldn't go that far. Personally, I think the answer is that instead of having laws that can be applied so broadly we should instead start writing narrower laws regarding this subject in order to get those adults who truly exploit teenagers.
    You agree with all these kids who engage in "sexting" with their peers being arrested and labeled child pornographers and sex offenders?
    This is already happening in a number of states.

    A recent study showed that one out of three high schoolers claims to have sent or received nude or or partially nude text images of themselves/ a peer.

    That's an entire generation of "child sex offenders" right there.
    I hope the juvenile halls are capacious enough to contain them all.

  2. #22
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    You agree with all these kids who engage in "sexting" with their peers being arrested and labeled child pornographers and sex offenders?
    This is already happening in a number of states.

    A recent study showed that one out of three high schoolers claims to have sent or received nude or or partially nude text images of themselves/ a peer.

    That's an entire generation of "child sex offenders" right there.
    I hope the juvenile halls are capacious enough to contain them all.
    That's not what I said. If you note, I said I think that laws should be narrowly written in order to go after adults who exploit children. For teenagers who engage in that kind of behavior I think they should be forced to take mandatory sexuality classes that explains proper sexual behavior in our country and our nation's sex laws. I also think that we should discern between non-violent sex crimes and violent sex crimes as well. A 14-year-old boy who has sex with his girlfriend shouldn't be put on the same level as a 50-year-old man who violently rapes a younger child. A 15-year-old girl who e-mails pics of boobies to her boyfriend should not be treated the same as an adult who runs an underground child porn ring for money.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I've always kind of wondered: Since the age of consent in most states is 16, why would a porno containing 16 or 17yo's be "Child porn"?

    Don't misunderstand me, considering everything I've heard about the porn industry, I wouldn't want 16 and 17yo's being allowed in it... it just seems a smidge inconsistent to prosecute someone for child porn when the actress was of the age of consent though.
    Simple, because CP is normally a federal crime and the feds say anyone under 18 is a child.

    You think your example is bad? How about in my state, where 17 is the legal age of consent. That means an adult male of any age can have sex with her at 17, even get her pregnant, but he cannot photograph or video her in a sexual way without being guilty of "production of child porn" which is now I believe mandatory 20 years in a federal prison.

    Our laws are absolutely asinine in this regard. Someone at age 18 who had sex with a 16yo could be a lifetime sex offender in one state, and in another, that not even be a crime. So you could have someone move in next to you who did the same thing you did when you were his age, but in his state it was a crime so he can't go to his daughters school plays but you can, and you're both absolutely guilty of the same act.

    I could continue with the absurdities. This is just the TIP OF THE ICEBERG.

    Samsmart, I agree with you. But fact is, THEY AREN'T. They are all treated identically under a catch all phrase of "sex offender." Nobody cares what they did or asks the details, they hear that the guy or gal who moved in next door is a sex offender and they think child rapist, period.

    Like I said, the absurdities abound and I could post pages and pages of absurdities effortlessly.
    Last edited by dontworrybehappy; 05-02-10 at 05:02 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    The accused is guilty of possessing child porn

    No


    The accused is not guilty

    Agreed.

    There was prosecutorial misconduct

    I believe there is prosecutorial misconduct.The prosecutor deliberately tried not to prove the age of the girl in the video

    Prosecutors were only trying to convict a child molester

    Maybe,Maybe not.


    The accused is a potential child molester

    Don't know.There is no evidence to make that determination.


    It should be illegal for young-looking women to make porn

    No. Flat chested women should be free to cash in on their looks just as much as the women who have large breasts do.


    The prosecutor should be charged with a crime


    I believe he should. He deliberately failed get evidence to prove the age of the girl in the video. A quick google search would lead to the porn actress site with a "18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance statement" link on the bottom, there was also a wikipedia page which had links to her myspace page, twitter page and other such info and this only took a few seconds to find.


    Sometimes, there is injustice in America

    I agree


    America still has the best system of justice in the world


    I agree
    Last edited by jamesrage; 05-02-10 at 05:10 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    First of all, watch this video, which appeared on Russia Today, for background on this issue:

    YouTube- Porn star saves dude from 20 years in prison


    OK, there are huge problems with the prosecution, which entered a "fact of evidence" that the porn star was no older than 12, when she was actually 18 at the time she made the video. The man was clearly being railroaded by the court.

    But let me also ask this: As young as she appears, is the man who had the video on his computer a potential child molester? Should child porn laws include watching women who look like children? It's pretty complicated, so answer the poll, and let's see what we come up with here.

    Note: This poll is multiple choice.
    Realistic depictions of child porn are illegal because folks don't stop at videos. Pedophilia is something which escalates into abusing actual children.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    That's not what I said. If you note, I said I think that laws should be narrowly written in order to go after adults who exploit children. For teenagers who engage in that kind of behavior I think they should be forced to take mandatory sexuality classes that explains proper sexual behavior in our country and our nation's sex laws. I also think that we should discern between non-violent sex crimes and violent sex crimes as well. A 14-year-old boy who has sex with his girlfriend shouldn't be put on the same level as a 50-year-old man who violently rapes a younger child. A 15-year-old girl who e-mails pics of boobies to her boyfriend should not be treated the same as an adult who runs an underground child porn ring for money.
    Well, all I said- which you claimed not to agree with- was that it's very difficult to protect teens from sexual exploitation by themselves.

    When teens have sex with each other, or engage in sexting with their peers, or lie about their ages and use fake IDs in order to participate in softcore "Girls Gone Wild" style porn, or disseminate sexy pictures of themselves a la Vanessa Hudgens... I'm not sure that the law doesn't make things a lot worse when it attempts to intervene.

    My perspective on this may be different because I was a teen mom; in fact, I was already a married mom of two by the time I was seventeen.
    My family's view on this was not, "Oh you poor victimized child!"
    It was, "You chose to do this; now you're no longer a child but a very young grown-up responsible for her own children. Get married, get a job, take care of your kids, and call us if there's some kind of emergency you can't handle."

    This attitude served me a lot better in the long run than a punitive approach, or even the whole "poor victimized child" routine, would've.
    I've never felt like a victim.
    I've never understood why we try to force people to remain children for more than a quarter of their lives.
    It doesn't really work, for most people.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    Well, all I said- which you claimed not to agree with- was that it's very difficult to protect teens from sexual exploitation by themselves.

    When teens have sex with each other, or engage in sexting with their peers, or lie about their ages and use fake IDs in order to participate in softcore "Girls Gone Wild" style porn, or disseminate sexy pictures of themselves a la Vanessa Hudgens... I'm not sure that the law doesn't make things a lot worse when it attempts to intervene.

    My perspective on this may be different because I was a teen mom; in fact, I was already a married mom of two by the time I was seventeen.
    My family's view on this was not, "Oh you poor victimized child!"
    It was, "You chose to do this; now you're no longer a child but a very young grown-up responsible for her own children. Get married, get a job, take care of your kids, and call us if there's some kind of emergency you can't handle."

    This attitude served me a lot better in the long run than a punitive approach, or even the whole "poor victimized child" routine, would've.
    I've never felt like a victim.
    I've never understood why we try to force people to remain children for more than a quarter of their lives.
    It doesn't really work, for most people.
    Sounds familiar.

    My mother gave my sisters all the sex-ed they needed and then some. At the end of it she told them having sex was ultimatly their decision, but if they came home pregnant she was sending them off to an unwed mother's home.

    There comes an age where if you want to act like an adult, then you should be treated like an adult, but be careful what you wish for.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    It becomes child porn when the actors are under aged. That is all that matters in my mind, otherwise we run the risk of coming down on people for looking too young when they're actually adults.

    Sexual misconduct laws need to change. People get charged with indecent exposure for pissing in alleys, and then they have to register as a sex offender. The case in the OP is an example of how the "justice" system has been given too much broad authority over this matter.

  9. #29
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,825

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    It becomes child porn when the actors are under aged. That is all that matters in my mind, otherwise we run the risk of coming down on people for looking too young when they're actually adults.

    Sexual misconduct laws need to change. People get charged with indecent exposure for pissing in alleys, and then they have to register as a sex offender. The case in the OP is an example of how the "justice" system has been given too much broad authority over this matter.
    Even crazier, I remember reading about a pair of teenagers in a sexual relationship, both 16. Legally able to have sex with each other in that state. Took pictures of said acts. The guy was charged with possession of child pornography. They can **** but not take pictures? Pictures that are kept privately? And the girl was not charged with anything... despite being the one who actually took the photo and sent it to the guy. Poor guy is a registered sex offender.

    Problem is, good luck being the politician who stands up and says "We're too hard on sexual criminals!"
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    08-14-12 @ 11:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,928

    Re: When does porn become child porn

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Realistic depictions of child porn are illegal because folks don't stop at videos. Pedophilia is something which escalates into abusing actual children.
    Link? Pedophelia leads to child abuse just like preferring adult women leads to rape. Not every pedo acts on his desires.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •