Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 89

Thread: Oil Spill’s Blow to BP’s Image May Eclipse Costs

  1. #41
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Is it even conceivable for BP to pay this back?
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #42
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
    Uh. Do you know what the word "implicated" means?

    It's a fact, Gill; Cheney is being implicated for his role in allowing BP/Halliburton to drill without an acoustic fail-safe switch, and not by me. It's a breaking story, but hell, they've already heard about it in England...



    Maybe you should pay more attention to the news.
    And by "implicated," you mean "some dbag from Gawker and an activist plaintiff's lawyer said so and then I copy pasted it."

    Sort of like how if a guy on Limbaugh's show says that Obama is a Kenyan, that means that he's "implicated" in electoral fraud.
    Last edited by RightinNYC; 05-12-10 at 09:56 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #43
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Is it even conceivable for BP to pay this back?
    Of course. As of yet, there's nothing to indicate that the clean up cost is anything remotely close to unmanageable.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  4. #44
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    You should be worried about not being able to use plastic. I bet you don't even know how important plastic is. Come back once you've researched that a little.
    I'm more "worried" about the "island" of trash the size of the state of Texas floating in the Pacific Ocean and destroying the delicate balance of life. There are economically and environmentally sound alternatives to using plastic that will end up choking our planet. You obviously don't care what kind of a world we leave to our future generations, but some of us do.

  5. #45
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Uncola View Post
    I'm more "worried" about the "island" of trash the size of the state of Texas floating in the Pacific Ocean and destroying the delicate balance of life. There are economically and environmentally sound alternatives to using plastic that will end up choking our planet. You obviously don't care what kind of a world we leave to our future generations, but some of us do.
    You'd better believe that I do care. Some fruity-tooty dream where we're all leaving in harmony with the trees and the only pollution is our farts just isn't the kind of life I want to leave to my children. Know why? That's what we used to have during medieval times when we were all subsistence farmers. Life expectancy was below 40 years and infant mortality was abysmal. Women died during childbirth and you could expect half of all of your kids to die. Sorry, but I think pollution is much better than this kind of life. And besides, you act as if the environment can't rebound. Did the hole in the ozone layer ever shrink? What do you know, I think it did. It's usually the same with the rest of the environment, and this oil spill is no exception. You are in no position to determine whether some pollution is worth the progress of mankind.

    Now that's not to say that I'm for all pollution all the time. I just completely detest the idea that all pollution is bad. If you want to know my real views on pollution and how it should be handled, just PM me.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  6. #46
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    You'd better believe that I do care. Some fruity-tooty dream where we're all leaving in harmony with the trees and the only pollution is our farts just isn't the kind of life I want to leave to my children. Know why? That's what we used to have during medieval times when we were all subsistence farmers. Life expectancy was below 40 years and infant mortality was abysmal. Women died during childbirth and you could expect half of all of your kids to die. Sorry, but I think pollution is much better than this kind of life. And besides, you act as if the environment can't rebound. Did the hole in the ozone layer ever shrink? What do you know, I think it did. It's usually the same with the rest of the environment, and this oil spill is no exception. You are in no position to determine whether some pollution is worth the progress of mankind.

    Now that's not to say that I'm for all pollution all the time. I just completely detest the idea that all pollution is bad. If you want to know my real views on pollution and how it should be handled, just PM me.
    It must really suck to live in a world of only absolutes.

    **If we don't use plastic we'll have no choice but to revert to medieval times.**

    Good grief, that's some impressive fresh steaming pile of hyperbole you layed there.



  7. #47
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    No. You're pretty much arguing for no pollution. The last time we had that was medieval times or a little time after when we used rivers mostly for production. Before the steam engine, most were still subsistence farmers.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  8. #48
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    No. You're pretty much arguing for no pollution. The last time we had that was medieval times or a little time after when we used rivers mostly for production. Before the steam engine, most were still subsistence farmers.
    Nonsense. Don't tell me what I'm "arguing." I can post my own thoughts without any assistance from you. Your entire premise is ridiculous.

  9. #49
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Ok, so how much pollution is okay as you've determined?

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #50
    Educator
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    10-15-10 @ 08:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    718

    Re: BP's CEO who opposed new safety regulations: Why US?!

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Ok, so how much pollution is okay as you've determined?
    Golly gee, could you possibly dream up a broader question?

    I mean really.

    Ok...

    .. a broad based question deserves a broad based answer:

    The absolute minimum needed to sustain a decent lifestyle for the human race.





    ***My my, wasn't that informative?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •